Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lawn Grass Archviz

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    #16
    Looks really good rabellogp. What's the material set up?

    Comment


      #17
      I would love if there was a mini tutorial on this technique. Even just a few bullet points of techniques would be nice. This looks really really good.

      EDIT: In particular how you get this to work on the landscape object with foliage.

      Thanks,
      Last edited by C4SNLLC; 04-27-2015, 12:01 PM.

      Comment


        #18
        Oh man! I love the results.
        one up here for the tutorial.

        Your grass is amazing,

        Comment


          #19
          was it this technique?

          http://www.webdesign.org/3d-graphics...-hair.543.html

          Comment


            #20
            There is really nothing complicated for that grass.

            I bought this pack: https://store.speedtree.com/product/backyard-grass-ue4/ and used the "desktop" version of it. It's easy to replicate that speedtree grass, I bought it because I was too lazy to find and work on a decent grass opacity texture (shame on me =P). What I get inside UE4 after importing the model is a cluster of planes with the grass material (diffuse, opacity, normal and a speedtree color variation chained with diffuse).



            The only real advantage of the Speedtree model is that you'll get the wind simulation (which I'm not using, btw, because wind must bee very strong to visually affect short grass like that in real life). After importing this, I distributed it over the surfaces with the foliage fill tool. The individual planes are very noticeable in low density distribution specially with short grass like that. There are two ways to avoid that: 1) increasing foliage density and 2) matching the surface color with the grass color. You must combine both if you don't want to increase the density too much. Matching the colors is also important if you want to limit the distance of foliage rendering to improve performance.

            I didn't like the Speedtree color variation node, so I got rid of it. The variation of my grass comes from a blend between the blades texture and a macro texture (same from the surface) with world coordinates. Here are the instructions for that: https://forums.unrealengine.com/show...olor-variation

            I'm also using that new 4.7 foliage shader. It's not visible in those pictures, but there are some translucency on those blades when the light comes from behind them.
            Attached Files
            Guilherme Rabello Co-founder, Sureale
            Artstation | Behance | Youtube | Instagram

            Comment


              #21
              Thank you!!!

              Comment


                #22
                Really useful, thank you.

                Comment


                  #23
                  Looks amazing rabellogp- is your scene using baked lighting or is it all dynamically lit? I find that my grass looks terrible after baking (ugly black shadows and lines that kill the realism), even with static lighting set off in the foliage settings!
                  ARTSTATION: https://www.artstation.com/artist/noisestorm

                  Comment


                    #24
                    Originally posted by rabellogp View Post
                    After experimenting a lot, I ended up electing the plane+alpha technique as the best option for me. It'll eat some frames for sure, but I think it's worth for the quality you can get. This is the results I'm getting right now:


                    edit: with material adjustments you can get whatever color you want, including a more even and green lawn like you said:
                    Apologies for the potentially silly question, but I am a beginner.
                    Did you create that building inside UE4, or did you create it in a 3rd party modelling program and the import it in?
                    Last edited by dan958; 04-28-2015, 04:04 PM.

                    Comment


                      #25
                      very nice results!

                      Comment


                        #26
                        Originally posted by EoinOBroin View Post
                        Looks amazing rabellogp- is your scene using baked lighting or is it all dynamically lit? I find that my grass looks terrible after baking (ugly black shadows and lines that kill the realism), even with static lighting set off in the foliage settings!
                        Thanks.
                        Could you please share a picture of those black shadows and lines you are talking about? I'm also getting some strange black artifacts with baked lighting, but it's only when I'm using landscape mesh around. When I use ordinary mesh for the terrain, I have no problems with the lightmaps on the grass (despite of the increase of RAM usage while calculating light), I set 8 for the lightmaps res and everything goes fine.

                        With static light off in the foliage settings I don't have any issue despite the pure black dynamic shadows over the grass. To get around that you must set up some dynamic skylight or even add emissive light to the grass material.

                        Originally posted by dan958 View Post
                        Apologies for the potentially silly question, but I am a beginner.
                        Did you create that building inside UE4, or did you create it in a 3rd party modelling program and the import it in?
                        I've created that building in 3D Studio Max and it was originally a VRay rendering project. Then I've made some required adjustments on the meshes and exported it to UE4.
                        UE4 does not have tools for advanced modelling (you can create some basic geometry and combine them, but that's all), you'll always need a 3rd party modelling tool to create your assets.
                        Guilherme Rabello Co-founder, Sureale
                        Artstation | Behance | Youtube | Instagram

                        Comment


                          #27
                          [QUOTE=rabellogp;281664]Thanks.
                          Could you please share a picture of those black shadows and lines you are talking about? I'm also getting some strange black artifacts with baked lighting, but it's only when I'm using landscape mesh around. When I use ordinary mesh for the terrain, I have no problems with the lightmaps on the grass (despite of the increase of RAM usage while calculating light), I set 8 for the lightmaps res and everything goes fine.


                          Hmm it seems to be fixed in 4.7.6 now- works like a charm

                          Grassy Hill by EoinOBroin, on Flickr
                          ARTSTATION: https://www.artstation.com/artist/noisestorm

                          Comment


                            #28
                            Originally posted by EoinOBroin View Post
                            Hmm it seems to be fixed in 4.7.6 now- works like a charm

                            Grassy Hill by EoinOBroin, on Flickr
                            That's a really nice result! It even looks like you have individual meshes for each blade. Cool! =D
                            Guilherme Rabello Co-founder, Sureale
                            Artstation | Behance | Youtube | Instagram

                            Comment


                              #29
                              Originally posted by rabellogp View Post
                              That's a really nice result! It even looks like you have individual meshes for each blade. Cool! =D
                              Thank you! I actually used the same method as you did with the speedtree grass (planes), but I used my own shader and alpha mask as I felt the speedtree one looks a little clumpy- I wanted more thin and detailed blades!

                              Also to answer your comment on Flickr- the lighting is a mixture of baked and dynamic- the trees are lit by baked lighting, but the grass is dynamic as that is the only way I seem to be able to get good results! Not exactly optimal performance (around 40 FPS on a GTX 980)- but hopefully in the future, we will have the power to render entire worlds with this kind of detail at high FPS
                              Last edited by EoinOBroin; 05-04-2015, 01:27 PM.
                              ARTSTATION: https://www.artstation.com/artist/noisestorm

                              Comment


                                #30
                                Originally posted by EoinOBroin View Post
                                Thank you! I actually used the same method as you did with the speedtree grass (planes), but I used my own shader and alpha mask as I felt the speedtree one looks a little clumpy- I wanted more thin and detailed blades!

                                Also to answer your comment on Flickr- the lighting is a mixture of baked and dynamic- the trees are lit by baked lighting, but the grass is dynamic as that is the only way I seem to be able to get good results! Not exactly optimal performance (around 40 FPS on a GTX 980)- but hopefully in the future, we will have the power to render entire worlds with this kind of detail at high FPS
                                Yes, I think that Speedtree texture works fine for short grass just because it is clumpy and you can reduce the mesh density just because of that. The amount of triangles required to hide the ground with sparse blade textures would be insane with really short grass, so it's a trade of. While your grass looks taller, I imagine the amount of meshes you have there to hide that ground plane =P. You can play a little bit with LODs (if you haven't yet) to get better performance, it helps a lot.
                                Guilherme Rabello Co-founder, Sureale
                                Artstation | Behance | Youtube | Instagram

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X