No announcement yet.

Pixelated artifacts in lightmaps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yea I am using BSP for the initial blockout. I wanted to highlight the fact that it affects both types of geometry; though it's most noticeable on meshes. It appears on the starter content meshes (Cube, etc), so I do not believe it's caused by my mesh or UVs. I've been using this workflow for years without issue.

I only started getting these corrupted lightmaps once I moved from 4.15 to 4.24. Was there a significant update to Lightmass in between those builds?

Comment

There were a ton of updates to Lightmass between those versions. And it could've shown up as an issue despite you not experiencing it before with BSP or imported meshes. I've encountered it in one project, and not in another, and only was using starter content meshes. So, I think you could be limiting your perspective there in terms of troubleshooting. Not saying it's what I referred to precisely, since it could be something else. But I'm thinking that it's one way to narrow down the possible causes. Distance field shadows can apparently cause weird blob-like shadows due to the distance field being insufficient to completely render an accurate shadow, so the distance field representation of the object of which a shadow is being cast. Distance Field Resolution, in the Build settings of a mesh, increases the accuracy of the representation for the mesh's shadow. You probably already know about that, though.

It could also be the shadow is not the shadow of the wall, but a less lit area of the corridor that is not fully processing the lighting. It's just a guess, and probably isn't what it is. I'm no expert, just trying to help.

Comment

I'll look into the Distance Field shadows. I appreciate the help! It seems like an obscure problem because there aren't many other posts about it. Luckily I have GPU Lightmass that I can use to get around it.

Thanks again

Comment

Troubleshooting is a neurotic process sometimes, especially with helpful information scattered around the Unreal web site and other sources. I also wouldn't put it past it to be something simple...but that's just another hypothetical.

Comment

Having the same problem. Using 4.24.3 version. Is this resolved with 4.25? Been trying to find something about this bug for the last three days, this is the only thread talking about it.

Comment

Originally posted by Oliahim View Post
              Having the same problem. Using 4.24.3 version. Is this resolved with 4.25? Been trying to find something about this bug for the last three days, this is the only thread talking about it.
              Probably some lightmap optimization. It looks like the ivy doesn't let enough light through so lightmass thinks it is 100% covering the wall there. You may have to work around that problem by painting the wall black or something similar. I have these squares behind pictures that hang on a wall for example. Areas you would normally not see.
              www.s-dot.de/viz
              ArchViz User Interface :: UE4 Marketplace.

Comment

Working...
              X