Pixelated artifacts in lightmaps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pixelated artifacts in lightmaps

Hello, I am trying to bake a bedroom scene. I have already done it in 4.23 and it was pretty fine. In 4.24 it gives me some bright pixel artifacts in areas that should normally be shadowed. It happens not in every shadow but mostly on places that are almost completely covered by something and should be really dark. I uploaded some pictures. One is under the bed, one is behind the curtains and in one i hid the vanity mirror so that you see how the wall behind it is pixelated and bright instead of black.

lightmass settings are pretty high 0,1 scale, 10 and 10 both bounces, 4 quality, 1 smoothness. The meshes it happens on are simple walls or floor which means the unwrap is easy and lightmap res is 1024x1024. Anyway if it works in 4.23 why those artifacts in 4.24?
    Attached Files

By the size of the pixels it looks like it might be something else. Some pixels are larger than others. That wouldn't happen as far as I know. Have you tried to check Detail Lighting and Lighting Only modes to see if it actually is a lighting problem?
    www.s-dot.de/viz
    ArchViz User Interface :: UE4 Marketplace.

Comment

Yes, it is exactly the same in Detail Lighting and Lighting Only view modes. Searching on the web I found another post in the forums having a similar problem. A scene that baked fine in 4.23, upgraded to 4.24 and had issues. https://forums.unrealengine.com/deve...build-lighting

Something similar to this post happens to my wardrobe. Look at the pictures 4.23 clean lightmaps, 4.24 dirty lightmpas, on the same mesh, with the same unwrap. Just in 4.24 I have removed many objects for the scene as I was wasting hours testing and testing again thinking that I might fix it by changing various settings, only to find out it was the engine version that is responsible. Unless someone enlightens me with some sort of trick I didn't know that can fix it.
      Attached Files

Comment

Is there any update on this issue? as a marketplace creator this is becoming a big issue, should we downgrade to 4.23 in order to bake our scenes and put it in the marketplace?

Comment

Have you tried to create a new project in 4.24 and then migrate everything from 4.23 to the new project?

I didn't have any problems moving from 4.23 to 4.24 so it might be something project specific. I would try to migrate and leave everything at default for the first lighting build. See if the problem occurs. If it doesn't then start making your project specific changes until it happens again.
          www.s-dot.de/viz

Comment

Are there stationary or movable lights in the scene? If so, what are the settings? What are Volumetric Lightmap settings in World>Lightmass?

Comment

Were you able to resolve this issue? I recently moved to 4.24 and I'm running into the exact same problem with baked lightmaps. In areas with enough light, the lightmaps look acceptable. But in darker or fully darkened areas the maps look pixelated and corrupted like yours.

Comment

I think this looks like a place where a mesh has been placed and then removed after building the lighting. Is there something in the scene that blocked light but is currently not visible? Press Ctrl+H to make all meshes visible. - Just a guess. Sorry if that sounds a bit silly but I made that mistake before multiple times
                www.s-dot.de/viz

Comment

I hit the same sort of artifact - was fixed by unchecking "Cast Shadow" on a sky dome static mesh surrounding the scene, even though the mesh had an unlit material and shouldn't have affected static lighting.

Comment

Even an unlit material can have emissive when there's at least a skylight in the scene. It could be a result of the skylight bouncing off the skydome and contributing its emissive to the light bake, resulting in those artifacts. Not sure if it's really the cause, or a part of it potentially.

Comment

Did it work when you disable the shadows of your sky dome?

If not have you tried to change the FireflyClamping?

Go to your engine instalation and under "\UE_YourVersion\Engine\Config" you will find a file named "BaseLightmass.ini". At the very end you should have FireflyClamping, change it for a bit less and build the light once again if it doesnt work move it up a little bit more and see what it happens (Change 500 less and then if it doesnt work change to 500 more than it was before)

The other 2 parameters will help your project too but thats another topic and dont go too big on those, also I have seen in the comments for you to change in the world settings but the only parameter that will work with GPU lightmass is the "Num Indirect Lighting Bouce" the secound option.

I am making a Kickstarter for a course on Photorealism for Unreal Engine 4. If you guys are interested in please share or support it!
                      https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...?ref=user_menu

Comment

Working...
                      X