Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My first real ARCH VIZ to UE effort (lots of pics) Advice needed please!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My first real ARCH VIZ to UE effort (lots of pics) Advice needed please!

This is my first project doing a ARCH VIZ model in MAX2018 with the intention of bringing into UE to produce a VR on a hillside terrain.
    Some background info:
    I modeled this in MAX because I hate using stuff brought from REVIT and other CAD/BIM programs as the geometry is usually messy and way more clean up than I care to do. Even with the easy button type software like Twinmotion and Lumion. There are still things that seem to always cause me grief and frustration.
    This was modeled using spline and simple box modeling to reduce as many polys and faces as possible except for the darn railings. I do NOT at this time plan to allow the user to enter the building to explore it as there is really not much to show but offices and a reception area in front and auditorium in the back. (Maybe some time in the future).
    My questions are these to start:
    1. I am not sure if I should UN Wrap my geometry now for light maps or just let Datasmith handle it? Again I really do not like using automatic stuff that I really cannot control,
    2. How do I decide how to group or break up the model for texturing and unwrapping? Take a look at the pics please.
    3. How many draw calls are too many? 5, 10, 20?
    4. Becauseof the size of the building, I was planning on 2k and 4k textures for things like walls and roof surfaces and everything else no lower than 1024. Is that going to work?

I can share the model if anyone wants a closer look and maybe help me with mesh organization...

Dave

With the way you have some things intersecting there could be some issues with lighting. So for example with the roof if you have a roof section going through another it will get shadow on the part that's inside and you'll get shadow pixels visible on the outside along the edge where they intersect, to avoid that you would need them to actually be modeled together so that they aren't intersecting past each other. You can try out things in UE4 first and see how they turn out, typically this will just end up with a darker edge on the intersections.

Typically, as far as lightmap UV's go, automatic methods will not produce as good of results as you could get by doing it manually
    If you're splitting up the model you want to split up by material and by general placement. You want the number of draw calls as low as possible but that also depends on what else you might have in the scene, less than 100 is just fine.

You don't necessarily need high resolution textures if you use tiled textures, and there's also ways to use things like masks, decals, and vertex painting to create some variations in materials

Comment

I have mapped 19 standard very basic materials for this model in prep for export to UNREAL.
      I hope the intersecting objects don't cause a problem. I was more worried about any overlapping/coincident faces which I was quite careful about eliminating in MAX.
      I was under the impression that intersecting geometry was ok as long as it did not have coincident faces, which is the usual problem with programs such as REVIT and CAD.
      ?

Click image for larger version

Name:	MAX_SNIP_009.JPG
Views:	57
Size:	321.6 KB
ID:	1637307

Comment

Hmm....so I didn't get any errors when building the lighting...?

Name:	UECapture002.JPG
Views:	52
Size:	240.6 KB
ID:	1637353

Comment

It's one of the things that can potentially be an issue, but it's something where you can test it and try it out to see what happens, that case is probably helped by the intersection being lit by direct light

Comment

So I am Frustrated now....Take a look at the pics particularly on the foundation walls where on one I am using a pretty basic shader arrangement with no displacement/tessalation going on. Then when I add the Displacement onto the geometry the corners blow out and open. How do I fix this? Do I need to go back into 3DSMAX and get rid of the chamfer on the corners and just keep adding more triangles or is there something else I can do to get this material to look better?

Name:	LO_Rock_displacement.JPG
Views:	58
Size:	393.0 KB
ID:	1642641Click image for larger version

Name:	LO_Rock_plain.JPG
Views:	56
Size:	330.4 KB
ID:	1642642

Comment

Guessing you need more vertices in that mesh, and select crack free tessellation. TBH, you're better off using a normal map for that, if possible.
              Eliot Blenkarne
              Visualiser
              Warren and Mahoney Architects ltd

Comment

I was using a normal map, but the corners always seem to make it super obvious it's flat "faked". I wonder if Parallax would help this?

Comment

Why don't you use Bump offset
                  https://docs.unrealengine.com/en-US/...set/index.html

Revit can be a pain but I use the program for my drawings sets as well, so for me its a win win.

Cheers,

Comment

Bumpoffset can work if you are not looking at it parallel to the surfaces, but in this case there's alot of wall surface with rock. Incidentally this is modeled totally in MAX not REVIT. I think I am going to have to bake out high poly walls and columns.

Comment

So any idea on what nodes may be used to get textures to be applied to an actor based on local coordinates instead of WS? See attached pic specifically some of the diagonal wood beams...UGLY!!! I still hate the stone walls!

Name:	TEXTURE_ROTATIONS.JPG
Views:	53
Size:	400.6 KB
ID:	1643334

Comment

Have you not mapped it prior to importing?
                        Eliot Blenkarne
                        Visualiser
                        Warren and Mahoney Architects ltd

Comment

Yeah, you need to map them in 3ds max. Using world aligned textures everywhere isn't a good idea. If you have an angle that is not exactly a multiply of 90 degrees mapping will be different for each angle. At least you could box map all of your assets. That's a good start. Try to be consistent. Box map EVERYTHING with the same values like (100,100,100) so you can swap out materials without creating a hundred versions all scaled slightly differently.Then, if necessary, add a UV-Unwrap modifier and rotate or rescale whatever is needed.

Also once you added an UV-Unwrap you cannot go back in the stack and change things. Better to collapse your stack before you add an UV-Unwrap or you will loose your mapping sooner or later.
                          www.s-dot.de/viz
                          ArchViz User Interface :: UE4 Marketplace.

Comment

Working...
                          X