Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Glass Material: Raytracing Translucency?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    I followed Fatty Bulls walkthrough and I still get black windows. The window meshes are double sided, 5mm thick and I'm using 4.24P3. and the glass material is from the UE automotive materials pack. Any ideas as to what I'm obviously doing wrong would be super.

Thanks in advance.
    Josh

Leave a comment:

• replied
    do you have a model like that? I would like to run some more tests..

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by BernhardRieder View Post
    With the latest Release of 4.23 it's working. I created a Video Tutorial for it. If you follow the steps, you should be able to get the same results shown in my video.

all details can be found here:
    https://fattybull.com/ray-tracing-example/

My Final Result:

My Video Tutorial:

I hope that helps - happy ray tracing!
    cheers
    Thanks,
    the tutorial is informative. The glass material is really great with Ray Traced Translucency on, but the RT T Refraction is still off.
    Cannot find nothing on how to properly use RTTR yet, specially geometries that are slightly more complex

Leave a comment:

• replied
    BernhardRieder AFAIK you are still not able to see translucent materials reflected on other surfaces and those are also showing solid black shadows in reflections, so translucency still broken in several scenarios in 4.23.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    With the latest Release of 4.23 it's working. I created a Video Tutorial for it. If you follow the steps, you should be able to get the same results shown in my video.

all details can be found here:
    https://fattybull.com/ray-tracing-example/

My Final Result:

My Video Tutorial:

I hope that helps - happy ray tracing!
    cheers

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Yeah, not being able to adjust the IOR is super annoying.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    The IOR doesn't seem correct to me either, it's not changing at all when I adjust it.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Not working yet, translucency is still work in progress in relation to realtime raytracing. Also, translucent materials won't appear in reflections and the shadows from the meshes using them is solid black.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    He there,
    I'm on 4.23 and the problem is still there. can you confirm that ?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I see. I guess all we can do for now is waiting. Thank you!

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by remozseo View Post
    Is it possible to download somewhere a material/shader you mentioned, that works for refraction when using raytracing?
    I am having the same issues.. I can't create get a glass material that works when using raytracing for the translucency.
    The link is in the documentation as he stated here: https://docs.unrealengine.com/en-US/...ion/index.html, but it won't work for all cases in Raytracing because the feature is under development, since the realtime raytracing feature is still in early access, and you can expect the next release to have the issue with translucency behaving as expected and also we will know if the feature will require material adjustments or if the way it is in the documentation will work out of the box.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Is it possible to download somewhere a material/shader you mentioned, that works for refraction when using raytracing?
    I am having the same issues.. I can't create get a glass material that works when using raytracing for the translucency.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    That documentation you pointed out is currently the material setup for the rasterized method (UE4.21 and earlier) and so far that one works (sort of) for glass. My material setups I usually put a fresnel node going to Opacity and if the glass should show the inner side, I use double sided material, so I can fake thickness. More thickness to glass, above 1mm, would require a mesh like you described earlier, having an inner mesh with normals respecting the surface continuation from outside.

My expectation is that 4.23 with the adjustments in the translucency we can rely on the same material method used for rasterized or have anything extra in the settings to make it like the other renderers work such as VRay.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Hi Nilson!

appreciate it. I was running another quick test. In this Video I compare the Unreal Raytracer vs. the Vray Raytracer.

I followed the Unreal documentation to create a Glass Material with Refraction.
    The result.. unfortunately... does not work.

Watch here a short 4k Video with Audio Documentation, highlighting this major problem:
    https://youtu.be/f-ABoxht_6U

Following your messages:
    Does this mean, that refraction just doesn't work at all until the new Release of 4.23 is coming?

Source to the Unreal Documentation of the Glass Refraction Material.
    Last edited by BernhardRieder; 06-16-2019, 08:24 PM.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I am not following up the changes in the Rendering module at the GitHub, but the changes are not just a material or settings, it is in fact the Rendering module being modified, meaning no workaround for now.

I might be wrong, but so far all points to no changes in materials to have the same glass appearance as in the rasterizing method. For glass to be like the real thing with refraction etc in real world, probably they will show up some better way to setup a material to have that. Unfortunately we will need to wait.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X