Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Glass Material: Raytracing Translucency?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    Originally posted by NilsonLima View Post
    Looks pretty awesome JoshKitney ! Congratz !
    Thanks mate. I'm still blocking out this guy, but I thought I'd do the glass first and not cry over my keyboard after doing everything, and then do the glass.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Looks pretty awesome JoshKitney ! Congratz !

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Thanks Bleen0_0 and NilsonLima. I was experimenting again today and I got the result (attached). I also followed your steps just to make sure I was doing it right. Thanks for taking the time to write out your adventures.

Peace
    Josh

Click image for larger version

Name:	HighresScreenshot00001.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	457.9 KB
ID:	1718030

Leave a comment:

• replied
    JoshKitney if after the settings above you are still getting black windows, the reason is because it is double sided, so you will want to experiment Max. Refraction Rays with higher values, but the best would be if the mesh wasn't double sided, because I am not sure how the light bounces are being dealt in that such small area... it might be black because it is reflecting the car interior and the bounces are not enough to get through the windows. Refraction Rays increase will cost, so if you are looking for cinematic it is ok.
    Last edited by NilsonLima; 01-11-2020, 08:26 AM.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by JoshKitney View Post
    I followed Fatty Bulls walkthrough and I still get black windows. The window meshes are double sided, 5mm thick and I'm using 4.24P3. and the glass material is from the UE automotive materials pack. Any ideas as to what I'm obviously doing wrong would be super.

Thanks in advance.
    Josh
    There's a few things to take into consideration for this to work. To make it simpler, here's my master material, and it's instance's parameters below. Make sure the material blend mode is translucent, and the material's lighting mode is set to Surface ForwardShading.

Name:	20200110-16_32_22M_Glass.png
Views:	274
Size:	179.7 KB
ID:	1707025

Name:	20200110-16_33_45MI_Glass_Windscreen.png
Views:	242
Size:	32.2 KB
ID:	1707026

No need to change camera parameters like in the video above, you can do it for the whole scene in the post process volume. The main two settings you need to have are translucency type - ray tracing, and refraction - off.

Name:	ppvolume.png
Views:	247
Size:	64.8 KB
ID:	1707027

Cool car btw ;-)

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I followed Fatty Bulls walkthrough and I still get black windows. The window meshes are double sided, 5mm thick and I'm using 4.24P3. and the glass material is from the UE automotive materials pack. Any ideas as to what I'm obviously doing wrong would be super.

Thanks in advance.
    Josh

Leave a comment:

• replied
    do you have a model like that? I would like to run some more tests..

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by BernhardRieder View Post
    With the latest Release of 4.23 it's working. I created a Video Tutorial for it. If you follow the steps, you should be able to get the same results shown in my video.

all details can be found here:
    https://fattybull.com/ray-tracing-example/

My Final Result:

My Video Tutorial:

I hope that helps - happy ray tracing!
    cheers
    Thanks,
    the tutorial is informative. The glass material is really great with Ray Traced Translucency on, but the RT T Refraction is still off.
    Cannot find nothing on how to properly use RTTR yet, specially geometries that are slightly more complex

Leave a comment:

• replied
    BernhardRieder AFAIK you are still not able to see translucent materials reflected on other surfaces and those are also showing solid black shadows in reflections, so translucency still broken in several scenarios in 4.23.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    With the latest Release of 4.23 it's working. I created a Video Tutorial for it. If you follow the steps, you should be able to get the same results shown in my video.

all details can be found here:
    https://fattybull.com/ray-tracing-example/

My Final Result:

My Video Tutorial:

I hope that helps - happy ray tracing!
    cheers

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Yeah, not being able to adjust the IOR is super annoying.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    The IOR doesn't seem correct to me either, it's not changing at all when I adjust it.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Not working yet, translucency is still work in progress in relation to realtime raytracing. Also, translucent materials won't appear in reflections and the shadows from the meshes using them is solid black.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    He there,
    I'm on 4.23 and the problem is still there. can you confirm that ?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I see. I guess all we can do for now is waiting. Thank you!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X