Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Glass Material: Raytracing Translucency?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah, not being able to adjust the IOR is super annoying.
    ArtStation

Comment

With the latest Release of 4.23 it's working. I created a Video Tutorial for it. If you follow the steps, you should be able to get the same results shown in my video.

all details can be found here:
      https://fattybull.com/ray-tracing-example/

My Final Result:

My Video Tutorial:

I hope that helps - happy ray tracing!
      cheers

Comment

BernhardRieder AFAIK you are still not able to see translucent materials reflected on other surfaces and those are also showing solid black shadows in reflections, so translucency still broken in several scenarios in 4.23.
        Nilson Lima
        Technical Director @ Rigel Studios Ltda - twitter: @RigelStudios
        Join us at Discord: https://discord.gg/uFFSEXY

UE4 Marketplace: Cloudscape Seasons
        supporting: Community FREE Ocean plugin

Comment

Originally posted by BernhardRieder View Post
          With the latest Release of 4.23 it's working. I created a Video Tutorial for it. If you follow the steps, you should be able to get the same results shown in my video.

all details can be found here:
          https://fattybull.com/ray-tracing-example/

My Final Result:

My Video Tutorial:

I hope that helps - happy ray tracing!
          cheers
          Thanks,
          the tutorial is informative. The glass material is really great with Ray Traced Translucency on, but the RT T Refraction is still off.
          Cannot find nothing on how to properly use RTTR yet, specially geometries that are slightly more complex

Comment

do you have a model like that? I would like to run some more tests..

Comment

I followed Fatty Bulls walkthrough and I still get black windows. The window meshes are double sided, 5mm thick and I'm using 4.24P3. and the glass material is from the UE automotive materials pack. Any ideas as to what I'm obviously doing wrong would be super.

Thanks in advance.
              Josh

Comment

Originally posted by JoshKitney View Post
                I followed Fatty Bulls walkthrough and I still get black windows. The window meshes are double sided, 5mm thick and I'm using 4.24P3. and the glass material is from the UE automotive materials pack. Any ideas as to what I'm obviously doing wrong would be super.

Thanks in advance.
                Josh
                There's a few things to take into consideration for this to work. To make it simpler, here's my master material, and it's instance's parameters below. Make sure the material blend mode is translucent, and the material's lighting mode is set to Surface ForwardShading.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20200110-16_32_22M_Glass.png
Views:	114
Size:	179.7 KB
ID:	1707025

Name:	20200110-16_33_45MI_Glass_Windscreen.png
Views:	96
Size:	32.2 KB
ID:	1707026

No need to change camera parameters like in the video above, you can do it for the whole scene in the post process volume. The main two settings you need to have are translucency type - ray tracing, and refraction - off.

Name:	ppvolume.png
Views:	98
Size:	64.8 KB
ID:	1707027

Cool car btw ;-)

Comment

JoshKitney if after the settings above you are still getting black windows, the reason is because it is double sided, so you will want to experiment Max. Refraction Rays with higher values, but the best would be if the mesh wasn't double sided, because I am not sure how the light bounces are being dealt in that such small area... it might be black because it is reflecting the car interior and the bounces are not enough to get through the windows. Refraction Rays increase will cost, so if you are looking for cinematic it is ok.
                  Last edited by NilsonLima; 01-11-2020, 08:26 AM.
                  Nilson Lima
                  Technical Director @ Rigel Studios Ltda - twitter: @RigelStudios
                  Join us at Discord: https://discord.gg/uFFSEXY

UE4 Marketplace: Cloudscape Seasons
                  supporting: Community FREE Ocean plugin

Comment

Working...
                  X