Stuck trying get a photorealistic image/video

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stuck trying get a photorealistic image/video

Hello, I am Architect and I am trying make photorealistic images, videos and in a future VR experiences in order to show the architecture project to the client. I have review and I think that I understan all the matter about lightmaps, avoid overlapping, bake lighting... but I am allways fighting with materials and I don't get the realism that I want...

Attached is the last video that I made:

I am pretty satisfied but I know that it is not the necessary level I want....

Can somebody give me a tip about what I am doing wrong?
    Thanks you, best regards.

Hi!

IMO(!!)
    The way you set your foliage lighting is unrealistic! They look like they don't get any GI, they stand out with not having shadows... :S
    I think most of your lightmaps are too low resolution and you're missing all the contact shadows (maybe your smoothness + scale is also set too low)
    Your materials also not the best... better size, more variation, better maps (normal/roughness...)
    And the main thing is post process...
    I've tried to tune up a few screenshots...
    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Makigirl View Post
      Hi!

IMO(!!)
      The way you set your foliage lighting is unrealistic! They look like they don't get any GI, they stand out with not having shadows... :S
      I think most of your lightmaps are too low resolution and you're missing all the contact shadows (maybe your smoothness + scale is also set too low)
      Your materials also not the best... better size, more variation, better maps (normal/roughness...)
      And the main thing is post process...
      I've tried to tune up a few screenshots...
      Thanks you, I am going to study the things you suggested.

You are right about foliage, I believed that I had to put them like movible and the sun in stationary... As the trees have movement in the leaves I believed that this was the way to work....
      About the resolution of the lighmaps, I put the bigger elements with 2048 and the smaller about 512. Is it too low? I have to review the subject of smoothness+scale... I don't know how it was set.

The post process is a problem for me... I tried but my eye is not trained enough....

I'm going to study again all the points...
      Thanks for the orientation.

Comment

Hi!

No worries!
        Yes that's a good solution! You can get distance field shadows... or cascaded shadow maps...
        I'm not sure if you're right about your lightmap resolution... I've seen a couple of part which was obviously lacking of shadow detail... I remember one: the kitchen table... non of the items had ANY shadows! :S
        Post process... well we can't do EVERYTHING ourselves! I'm sure you didn't program Unreal or the video software... neither the website...

Comment

Some of the stuff that would help-

-more details - for example the glass banister doesn't have any hardware in terms of bolts or things for how it's installed. Also, the glass material there doesn't look good, I don't know if there's another material setup out there for that kind of glass that would work better
          -more imperfections
          -it's missing stuff like power outlets and air conditioning vents
          -add round corners on some of the walls and edges, since nothing in real life has 90-degree corners
          -add more variation to the grass, there won't be as much grass under trees and in corners where there's less sunlight
          -look into using tesselation/displacement in some materials, especially for things like stone this makes it so that the stones stick out further than the grout.

Comment

Working...
          X