Datasmith scene very dark

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Datasmith scene very dark

I'm new to Unreal Engine but am attempting to create an arch viz scene via Datasmith and 3ds Max. I have imported my scene into UE4 fine, but once the import was done the light in the scene became very dark, including the space around the project, and the light source intensity doesn't seem to make too much difference. When watching tutorials on lighting it doesn't seem to be an issue for others. Just wondering if anyone has any idea what could be causing this? Or have experienced it themselves? I am using a directional light and have also tested point lights etc. with the same problem. Building the lighting doesn't improve it also.
    Space outside of scene also very dark Scene 'unlit' Scene with lighting. Sky light and sky sphere also in use.

What version of unreal are you using. I'm assuming Unreal 4.22.
    Last edited by pbdarcey; 04-08-2019, 12:34 PM.

Comment

Yeah. 4.22 and the latest datasmith exporter as well. Reckon it's worth trying a previous version?

Comment

Maybe try a new project. Try the mutli viewer one and see if you run into the issue again.

I just tried an export from Revit to 3dsmax to unreal and didn't have any issues with light. That was using 3dsmax to unreal with data smith.

Cheers,

Comment

I noticed that 4.22 is significantly darker than 4.21. Especially in corners and not so well lit places. They are almost black in 4.22. Not sure what's going on there.
          www.s-dot.de/viz
          ArchViz User Interface :: UE4 Marketplace.

Comment

Okay, thanks guys. I'll try what you mentioned and update any differences/improvements.

Comment

Well, I tried it in numerous projects/templates with no luck. Have imported the scene without walls and ceiling and it's still the same. Reinstalled Datasmith and 3ds Max, again no difference. Interestingly the light issue is not there if I only import the geometery of the scene in, so looks like I'll just have to set up and apply the materials the old fashioned way.

Comment

This is happening with me with 4.22 as well. Tried new projects etc...

Comment

When you import a datasmith file, it also create a PostProcess volume with very very dark exposure value. Try to search for it in the search field and just delete it. It should fix your problem. (it fixed mine)

Comment

Originally posted by acidarts View Post
                    When you import a datasmith file, it also create a PostProcess volume with very very dark exposure value. Try to search for it in the search field and just delete it. It should fix your problem. (it fixed mine)
                    Thanks a lot, that seems to have done the trick! Weird the volume is kind of hidden away from the Outliner without searching for it.

Comment

Originally posted by HorseLatitudes View Post

Thanks a lot, that seems to have done the trick! Weird the volume is kind of hidden away from the Outliner without searching for it.
                      Mine is not hidden, it's called Global Exposure (if I remember well), but yeah, happy to resolve the issue for you

Comment

That sounds like a bug and I'd report it. It looks like an unexpected consequence of our attempts to better match lighting values in 4.22.
                        Sr. Product Manager
                        Epic Games

Comment

Originally posted by acidarts View Post

Mine is not hidden, it's called Global Exposure (if I remember well), but yeah, happy to resolve the issue for you
                          Thumbs uP. Congrates mate.
                          CHECK OUT:- Visit https://3darchstuffs.com/ for Unreal arch-viz tutorials, Unreal Demo EXE and Unreal projects with source files.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...X3Sm2Z9NXEHFV9

Comment

I seem to be having this exact problem. when ever i get close to the scene i imported trough Datasmith surrounding scene goes black. not even letting light from the sun come trough windows.
                            only thing is i cant find the post process volume. not in the outliner nor by selecting all post proces volumes... any ideas how i can select it to delete it?

Comment

Working...
                            X