Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Texture map question

Hi all,

I have basic question, I say basic because I think its basic for an artist in the game industry., which I am not.

When making uvw maps for Unreal is it better to have one large map, say 2048x2048, that has multiple meshes in it or have the mesh broken out into multiple pieces and the maps are a smaller size like 512x512. So for example 3 meshes broken out at 512x512 or one mesh at 2048x2048.

Hope that makes sense,
    Thanks
    Alex

Usually one mesh is the best option in my experience because:

- less likely to get seams in the lighting!
    - fewer materials, textures and meshes in the level
    - easier to work with

Comment

Thanks for the info. I went with one large map over the 3 small ones. Just trying to figure out what the best work flow is.

Comment

When making texture maps, it will depend on the situation. If the objects using the textures are in the same area and they're all likely to be loaded at the same time then it would be better to combine some of the maps. Otherwise if only one of the objects is visible then it still has to keep the large texture map in memory rather than unloading the information that's not needed.

Comment

Keep in mind if you go from 512x512 to 1024x1024, you're not doubling. You're quadrupling. In your example, 2048x2048 is 16 times larger than 512x512 and you're applying it on just 3 meshes so it's better to use smaller maps. And I generally find it best to not go over 1024x1024 unless I really have to.

Comment

Working...
          X