Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Archviz Lighting

Hi,

I cannot get my lighting right when doing Archviz scenes. I keep struggling, project after project to make them look realistic.

The lighting always gives issues.

I follow all the steps (Lightmass Importance volume, Lightmass Portals around windows, Square Reflection boxes which encompass the rooms, post process volumes for every room, Skylight is Static and set to 1, Directional light is Stationary and 3.14).

The rooms are always too dark. I push up the Post Process Volume then the room becomes washed out bright White and then the Exterior becomes too bright, looking out the window.

I try put in point lights, but that makes the scene look artificial. ( See Kitchen pics below) I want to light my rooms naturally, just with skylight and directional light.

I cannot get a harmony or realistic lighting for Interior with Exterior scenes. (Using multiple Post Process Units doesnt help because when I'm inside looking out window from inside, the Exterior
    is washed out white).

My Post Process Volume Settings:

Camera:
    Exposure Compensation: -0.3
    Min Brightness: 0.25
    Max Brightness: 0.25

I've tried playing with these numbers but cannot get it right.

Should I be playing around with the Camera Settings in Post Process Volume, like Shutter Speed, ISO and Aperture?

Doesn't matter what I do I still get dark corners and Lightmap issues with Overlapping, especially in corners and on my trims.

I need a lighting setup for Interior/Exterior scenes where both can be lit as realistically as possible as I have clients who want the Photo-realistic quality for their

Real Time renders.

My Lightmass World Settings -

Static Lighting Level Scale: 0.2
    Num Indirect Lighting Bounces: 15
    Num Sky Lighting Bounces: 10
    Indirect Lighting Quality: 5
    Indirect Lighting Smoothness: .75

As you can see in my pics, everything looks flat, no definition and I'm using substance materials.

Any help would be great, thanks.
    Graeme van Rensburg
    3D Artist (Architectural Visualization) - Freelancer
    GvR Designs

A couple of questions. Are all of your meshes set to static? Are your build settings set to Epic/Production quality? Is your post-process volume set to Infinite Extent? Are you using standard PBR materials?

Comment

Hi!

I think most of your lighmaps are way too low to get realistic results! Your world settings are fine...
      I would give a higher Skylight intensity (mostly this is what will light up your scene!! ...I don't even see your sun) + a cubemap!

Comment

Hi

Thanks for the feedback.

GulfstreamJosh, yes to all your questions.

Makigirl - All my Lightmap resolutions are high, all show green. I was told if I increase the Skylight intensity it decreases the realism for Archviz and to always keep Skylight on 1 and Static. My directional light (Sun) is actually round the back of the house. I m using a cubemap from the panorama to light the scene.
        Graeme van Rensburg
        GvR Designs

Comment

Always use stationary for your skylight, directional light, and any important lights. Specular reflections will be better.

Don't restrict your light values like that, currently, there isn't any physically correct or ideal values, it is all situational.

For floors or anywhere there's contact shadows, go really high with the lightmap resolution, you'll want it to be red.

Comment

Hi, I really believe if you follow this tutorial series throughout, you will be able to deal with everything, trust me these process covered in the series do works for me, and i really hope it works for you too. follow the series as closesly as possible. GOOD LUCK.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...6av9e2njqfY65i
            https://youtu.be/XNhwt3iIWTE
            CHECK OUT:- Visit https://3darchstuffs.com/ for Unreal arch-viz tutorials, Unreal Demo EXE and Unreal projects with source files.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...X3Sm2Z9NXEHFV9

Comment

Hi 3darchstuffs

Thanks, I will have a look at your Tutorials. Thanks for the help.
              Graeme van Rensburg
              GvR Designs

Comment

I thought skylights had to be set to static to be multiple bounces?

Personally, I would suggest working without materials first. Put a white-ish, flat shader on everything bar glass, then focus on getting contact shadows and lighting conditions right first of all. Also, use a lot of sphere reflection captures, some large, some medium and some small, through all your rooms.

Are you using the first person template? it might be worth putting up your post-processing settings too.

UE4 is faux-PBR - lighting values are best approach on a per-scene basis - that is, whatever works.
                Eliot Blenkarne
                Visualiser
                Warren and Mahoney Architects ltd

Comment

Multibounce should work with static and stationary, https://trello.com/c/DMhmOKwO/214-st...ht-multibounce

For the main lights, there's no reason to use static over stationary. Specular reflections of lights works better with stationary lights, you can change the color and intensity of the direct light without immediately needing to rebake the scene to see the results. Stationary lights support dynamic objects and moveable shadows, great for things light fans, wind, foliage, or objects that might cast too complex of shadows to bake without cranking up the light map resolution to insane values.

Comment

Originally posted by ZacD View Post
                    Multibounce should work with static and stationary, https://trello.com/c/DMhmOKwO/214-st...ht-multibounce

For the main lights, there's no reason to use static over stationary. Specular reflections of lights works better with stationary lights, you can change the color and intensity of the direct light without immediately needing to rebake the scene to see the results. Stationary lights support dynamic objects and moveable shadows, great for things light fans, wind, foliage, or objects that might cast too complex of shadows to bake without cranking up the light map resolution to insane values.
                    True. I agree with every thing stated above.
                    CHECK OUT:- Visit https://3darchstuffs.com/ for Unreal arch-viz tutorials, Unreal Demo EXE and Unreal projects with source files.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...X3Sm2Z9NXEHFV9

Comment

...maybe it has changed since the volumetric lightmaps but I used to get a LOT nicer results with static skylights!!

Comment

Can you show with icons? Where you placed your lights and also the shadow settings? It flatness comes from the contrast right now, between light and shadow. The key ratio between main light and other lights. The post production won't fix that I think.

Comment

Yeah, I put point lights in the middle to the edge of both rooms, you can see the light reflections on the ceiling. As soon as I added the point lights, the whole scene became really flat.

I want to get to stage where I don't use artificial lighting at all, just natural light.

Has anyone watched 51Daedalus's Light Academy episode 4.5 where he talks about how messed up Ue4 Lighting is now in regards to using using Post Process Volume and Camera settings? I tried the techniques in his video, but couldn't match his results. He seems to be an expert in this field.
                          Graeme van Rensburg
                          GvR Designs

Comment

Yeah Makigirl, I also get my best results when using Static skylights, but then again maybe I'm doing something wrong. I also think the fact I have a crappy PC that makes it difficult to get nice lighting results, or maybe I need to learn how to light like a pro and stop blaming my tools.
                            Graeme van Rensburg
                            GvR Designs

Comment

With regards to what Visualization said about Reflections captures - "Also, use a lot of sphere reflection captures, some large, some medium and some small, through all your rooms".

My normal workflow is to only use 1 Box Reflection Capture per room, and fit it to the exact size of the room. I thought you dont need many Reflection captures per room?
                              Graeme van Rensburg
                              GvR Designs

Comment

Working...
                              X