Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Global Illumination in other engines [ UNIGINE ]

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Originally posted by Luoshuang View Post
    You guys have successfully got my attention on this (sparse?) voxel probe based thing. I may take a look into it after finishing GPULightmass's current overhaul.
    Luoshang I love you so freaking much.

    Comment


      Originally posted by Luoshuang View Post
      You guys have successfully got my attention on this (sparse?) voxel probe based thing. I may take a look into it after finishing GPULightmass's current overhaul.
      u rock mate! thx for gpu lightmass and thanks for this in advance!

      Originally posted by AE_3DFX View Post
      Nocturness: I assume those voxel and raytracing things will work with every GPU manufacturer?
      i really dont know. i just use for voxel probe bake with GTX 970

      Comment


        Originally posted by Farshid View Post

        i think dxr is better than voxel technology in dynamic mode
        but what about baking mode ?

        when we use voxel in baking mode
        1 - we dont need lightmaps and object directly will import to ue4 like cryengine
        2 - we dont need to set lightmap size for each objects
        3 - we can have both day and night in baking mode ( currently we have lighting scenarios that is not usable at all and need twice baking )


        dxr wont fix our problems with old lightmss system
        Yes, DXR is very expensive, but it's very good compared to the dynamic effects that DXR can achieve. I've been using VXGI, real-time voxel GI and AO before, but honestly the performance is really terrible, especially in the case of more triangles, the impact on FPS is terrible. By contrast, I've learned that the performance cost of DXR may be comparable to SSAO and CSM Shadow in Shadow, GI and AO. (Of course, I didn't test it myself, but someone has already tested it and got the result), so it will be a perfect new dynamic lighting scheme.

        Another point to mention is that DXR is not just a dynamic mode. There is a path tracker in DXR, which I understand is used to replace LightMass dynamic, which can achieve almost real-time light baking? And it doesn't seem to need a second set of UVs? Of course, I don't know much about the Path Tracking model. I just know that it seems to be a replacement for LightMass, which may be a near-out ray tracing preview + offline quick baking function.

        For the application of voxel technology, EPIC should be much earlier than most scenarios, even before CE engine. SVOGI, I remember, was developed by EPIC and NVIDIA together. In the early days, it appeared in the branch of the illusion engine, but later it was cut off for performance reasons and used a bad LPV. Later it was used in the CE engine, and now it has been developed as offline baking?

        Based on this rumor, I don't think EPIC will touch voxel technology again. Their focus should be on real RayTracing.

        Comment


          Originally posted by Luoshuang View Post
          You guys have successfully got my attention on this (sparse?) voxel probe based thing. I may take a look into it after finishing GPULightmass's current overhaul.
          thanks Luoshuang for hearing the voice of community
          thanks for respecting us

          you are hero
          hope some day we can see baking without lightmaps in ue4 like vray and corona and redshift or octane or unigine game engine
          all of them working without lighmaps !!!

          Comment


            Originally posted by 最后的馒头 View Post

            Yes, DXR is very expensive, but it's very good compared to the dynamic effects that DXR can achieve. I've been using VXGI, real-time voxel GI and AO before, but honestly the performance is really terrible, especially in the case of more triangles, the impact on FPS is terrible. By contrast, I've learned that the performance cost of DXR may be comparable to SSAO and CSM Shadow in Shadow, GI and AO. (Of course, I didn't test it myself, but someone has already tested it and got the result), so it will be a perfect new dynamic lighting scheme.

            Another point to mention is that DXR is not just a dynamic mode. There is a path tracker in DXR, which I understand is used to replace LightMass dynamic, which can achieve almost real-time light baking? And it doesn't seem to need a second set of UVs? Of course, I don't know much about the Path Tracking model. I just know that it seems to be a replacement for LightMass, which may be a near-out ray tracing preview + offline quick baking function.

            For the application of voxel technology, EPIC should be much earlier than most scenarios, even before CE engine. SVOGI, I remember, was developed by EPIC and NVIDIA together. In the early days, it appeared in the branch of the illusion engine, but later it was cut off for performance reasons and used a bad LPV. Later it was used in the CE engine, and now it has been developed as offline baking?

            Based on this rumor, I don't think EPIC will touch voxel technology again. Their focus should be on real RayTracing.
            in archviz we need highest quality
            that dxr cant achieve this in realtime
            its only can save game industry because its better than lpv

            Comment


              Originally posted by Luoshuang View Post
              You guys have successfully got my attention on this (sparse?) voxel probe based thing. I may take a look into it after finishing GPULightmass's current overhaul.
              I know this is for another engine, but I have so far not seen anything more impressive than this:



              https://forum.unity.com/threads/hxgi...mic-gi.472486/

              Comment


                Originally posted by Farshid View Post

                in archviz we need highest quality
                that dxr cant achieve this in realtime
                its only can save game industry because its better than lpv
                DXR's real-time ray tracing module is mainly used for games, of course, but the path tracing module can be fully used for archviz. It only takes a few seconds to complete the denoising convergence and achieve very high quality ray tracing effect, and it does not need UV channel, so I don't understand why people think DXR can only be used for real-time?

                At the same time, the important point is that all the effects are based on the ray tracing calculation of hundreds of millions of rays per second. The results obtained are far more accurate and effective than the voxelized GI. At least the results we have tested at present are as follows: perfect and accurate shadows and AO, reflection and GI, which can calculate the general quality in real time, and also can use seconds to calculate the offline.

                Comment


                  Originally posted by Farshid View Post

                  in archviz we need highest quality
                  that dxr cant achieve this in realtime
                  its only can save game industry because its better than lpv
                  Maybe you can watch this test video.

                  Shadow and reflection of DXR.
                  AO and GI, and noise reduction are not yet ready.

                  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TStUfKbl2jk

                  All the effects are based on real-time. At that time, there was no noise reduction effect. The improvement of GI and AO alone could not meet archviz's quality requirements, but the shadow and reflection provided by DXR were difficult to achieve by other algorithms.

                  Comment


                    Originally posted by roberteker View Post

                    I know this is for another engine, but I have so far not seen anything more impressive than this:



                    https://forum.unity.com/threads/hxgi...mic-gi.472486/
                    thanks for this video
                    but this method is fully dynamic and no baking
                    so its quality limited and cant achieve vray or other offline engines

                    Comment


                      Originally posted by 最后的馒头 View Post

                      Maybe you can watch this test video.

                      Shadow and reflection of DXR.
                      AO and GI, and noise reduction are not yet ready.

                      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TStUfKbl2jk

                      All the effects are based on real-time. At that time, there was no noise reduction effect. The improvement of GI and AO alone could not meet archviz's quality requirements, but the shadow and reflection provided by DXR were difficult to achieve by other algorithms.
                      this video is amazing and better than older lpv
                      but again its far from vray
                      plus i dont know dxr will support dynamic hdri lighting or not ?! or it will use area lights for interior ?

                      Comment


                        Originally posted by Farshid View Post

                        this video is amazing and better than older lpv
                        but again its far from vray
                        plus i dont know dxr will support dynamic hdri lighting or not ?! or it will use area lights for interior ?
                        In theory, DXR will support all parts of Unreal perfectly. At present, most functions of DXR are still in production. HDR lighting support should not be a problem. This should be a huge upgrade of Unreal rendering system, not just a plug-in.

                        As for the area lamp problem, as I described above, all parts will be upgraded, which is equivalent to using Vray+AI denoiser to render ray tracing effect in real time, so the quality can be completely close to offline rendering, and it itself contains path tracing function for offline fast baking scenarios, which can be baked in only a few seconds. Real-time scenes near Vray quality?

                        At the same time, because most of the functions are still in production, there will be a big gap with Vray's offline rendering. The fully produced DXR should be an Unreal rendering system based on raster rendering and integrating a large number of ray-tracing effects, including both real-time and offline parts, because it is based on ray-tracing algorithm, and the difference between the effect and Vray is very small, even can be neglected in many cases.
                        Last edited by Leo Rakes; 01-10-2019, 04:55 AM.

                        Comment


                          but this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TStUfKbl2jk is not similar or close to this renders
                          i dont know maybe you are right
                          but i dont think we can achieve vray quality in realtime

                          Click image for larger version

Name:	577BartsSquarebyTheBoundaryinassociationwithIainBanks06.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	223.2 KB
ID:	1570741

                          Click image for larger version

Name:	892loftbyanastasiatimofeevafellicci.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	293.8 KB
ID:	1570742


                          the only thing i need is achieve this quality easily in ue4 without lightmap creation

                          Comment


                            Originally posted by Farshid View Post
                            but this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TStUfKbl2jk is not similar or close to this renders
                            i dont know maybe you are right
                            but i dont think we can achieve vray quality in realtime

                            Click image for larger version  Name:	577BartsSquarebyTheBoundaryinassociationwithIainBanks06.jpg Views:	1 Size:	223.2 KB ID:	1570741

                            Click image for larger version  Name:	892loftbyanastasiatimofeevafellicci.jpg Views:	1 Size:	293.8 KB ID:	1570742


                            the only thing i need is achieve this quality easily in ue4 without lightmap creation
                            Maybe the full DXR effect will not be known until the complete production of the DXR is completed, but as far as these two pictures are concerned, the DXR can run at least 30 frames in full without any problem.(In 2080TI?)

                            In fact, how can I understand why you doubt DXR? Based on ray tracing and rasterization, it's not so hard to achieve real-time results that are very close to Vray. If you know DXR well enough, or if you've tested it, you probably won't be so confused.

                            In fact, you can look at several DEMOs rendered by DXR in EPIC. Their quality is not inferior to Vray at all. Even SpeedLight's DEMO scene should be more complex than this one in the picture, but they run AO, GI, reflection and shadow perfectly with 40 frames, and can achieve the same effect as most offline rendering.

                            Its only disadvantage is that it's very expensive, but it provides a solution similar to offline baking and does not require UV mapping.
                            Last edited by Leo Rakes; 01-10-2019, 05:44 AM.

                            Comment


                              Expecting Vray level results from a realtime engine isn't very realistic. Just digging your feet into the ground and demanding that a solution be made isn't going to get change the fact that realtime has a ways to go before it can truly compete with offline rendering in terms of quality. DXR is definitely a good step towards that but dismissing it when it's in such an early stage isn't fair - it's nowhere near ready for UE4. We also don't yet know what "Lightmass 2" is going to bring to the table. We just need to be patient.

                              Comment


                                Multi-Scale Global Illumination in Quantum Break 2015
                                https://users.aalto.fi/~silvena4/Pub...medy_Notes.pdf

                                Comparison of cone tracing methods for real-time global illumination 2018
                                https://is.muni.cz/th/v0uhf/bachelor_thesis_digital.pdf
                                Last edited by Farshid; 01-15-2019, 03:37 AM.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X