Global Illumination in other engines [ UNIGINE ]

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Vasault View Post
    can we get a tease? i'd love to see some progress, been waiting for many years to see a sort of dynamic gi or improved lightmass on unreal engine 4, competition has been rough these years and unreal engine 4 has been way below the rest when it comes to lightning improvements, cannot wait to see more, keep up the good work
    Yes Please

Comment

Originally posted by Juan Canada View Post
      Hi all,

I joined Epic a few months ago and have been working in the real time ray tracing GDC tech and in the new Lightmass developments. Just want to say hi and tell you we will do our best to deliver something very good.

Luoshuang (Yujiang Xang) is also part of the team now, together with more great folks that joined the team recently. As Ken said we have staffed up a team with a strong background on global illumination techniques and we are working very hard to achieve great things soon!
      Your work at Maxwell is impressive! We are all SUPER excited to see some development in the UE lighting area!!
      Please, could you share with us what is all about? We are curious, we need info
      Ray tracing GI appears to not be feasible in the next 10 years (i want be wrong )... By lightmass development you mean GPU baking or others improvements as well?

Thanks a lot!

Comment

Originally posted by cfree View Post

Your work at Maxwell is impressive! We are all SUPER excited to see some development in the UE lighting area!!
        Please, could you share with us what is all about? We are curious, we need info
        Ray tracing GI appears to not be feasible in the next 10 years (i want be wrong )... By lightmass development you mean GPU baking or others improvements as well?

Thanks a lot!
        I also would like a sneak peek

Comment

I am afraid I cannot give you sneak peaks yet, not because we are hiding our roadmap but because we are still not in the position of promising anything. On the ray tracing side, we already said a few things about the future here:

https://www.unrealengine.com/en-US/b...-unreal-engine

At the end of the year there will be support for DXR and certain features like ray-traced area light shadows. We are working hard to get more things ready during 2019, the team is not focused on Labs and pure research but into deliver things.
          Originally posted by cfree View Post
          When real time ray tracing will be feasible depends on many factors, specially on the kind of project. Small games with simple lighting are very different to open world games, automotive is very different to architecture, etc. For some people pure ray tracing will be useful much earlier, and for other people hybrid raster/raytracing techniques will be the way to go.

By lightmass development I mean that we will try to come out with a solution that is faster and better than the current one, speeds up the iteration cycles and produces an output of higher quality. It is still soon to say whether this is going to be GPU based or not, if it is going to be progressive, etc. We need to be a bit more sure on the roadmap before we can share it, I am sure you understand. All I can say is that there is a bunch of very talented folks here working pretty hard with the only goal of delivering something that makes you all happy.

Comment

I am afraid I cannot give you sneak peaks yet, not because we are hiding our roadmap but because we are still not in the position of promising anything. On the ray tracing side, we already said a few things about the future here:

At the end of the year there will be support for DXR and certain features like ray-traced area light shadows. We are working hard to get more things ready during 2019, the team is not focused on Labs and pure research but into deliver things.

When real time ray tracing will be feasible depends on many factors, specially on the kind of project. Small games with simple lighting are very different to open world games, automotive is very different to architecture, etc. For some people pure ray tracing will be useful much earlier, and for other people hybrid raster/raytracing techniques will be the way to go.

By lightmass development I mean that we will try to come out with a solution that is faster and better than the current one, speeds up the iteration cycles and produces an output of higher quality. It is still soon to say whether this is going to be GPU based or not, if it is going to be progressive, etc. We need to be a bit more sure on the roadmap before we can share it, I am sure you understand. All I can say is that there is a bunch of very talented folks here working pretty hard with the only goal of delivering something that makes you all happy.

thanks for info
            can we try rtx and dxr with 10 series gpu ?

how ps4 can run rtx in realtime ?

​​​​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by Farshid View Post

thanks for info
              can we try rtx and dxr with 10 series gpu ?

how ps4 can run rtx in realtime ?

Its called they know stuff we do not lol

Comment

juancanada Thank you so much for the update! Knowing some of the guys involved and the processes of development, this is as precise as I imagined any piece of information would be at such an early state, so thanks for still giving us the much-needed transparency and honesty!

Keep it going...super hyped for whats coming up!

-Daedalus
                Check out UNREAL 4 Lighting Academy
                https://forums.unrealengine.com/show...ng-like-that-)

Comment

Holy Lightbounce! I was just becoming somewhat confident with Lumberyard and now that... Just kidding)) Happy to hear a dedicated team is working on lighting in my engine of choice. Good luck and looking forward to seeing what the future brings. Peace.

Comment

Juan Canada:

It's been two months, do you have an update for us? A general idea of where GI (not RTX) in UE4 is headed would be much appreciated!
                    ArtStation

Comment

matinee cinematic ====> sequencer cinematic

Cascade Particle Systems ====> Niagara

old LPV realtime lighting ====> RTX + DXR

volume light samples ====> volumetric light maps
                      old Baked Light system [Lightmass] =====> ????
                      Last edited by Farshid; 09-08-2018, 06:39 AM.

Comment

Apparently they are reworking Lightmass to work with GPUs, but I didn't see any official talks about it yet.
                        | Finite State Machine | Savior | USQLite | Object-Pool | Sound-Occlusion | Property Transfer | Magic Nodes | MORE |

Comment

Farshid not sure if you read this thread, but you'd see there are plans to replace existing Lightmass underway
                          Sr. Product Manager
                          Epic Games

Comment

Originally posted by kenpimentel View Post
                            Farshid not sure if you read this thread, but you'd see there are plans to replace existing Lightmass underway
                            Thanks for your answer
                            i hope so

Comment

I really hope it is not Nvidia or Windows only feature ? Please tell if you can.

Something more for EPIC for learning if it has any use.
                              https://80.lv/articles/source-code-for-hbil-technique/
                              Last edited by AE_3DFX; 09-30-2018, 11:16 AM.
                              tox.chat - Skype alternative
                              blender.org - 3D suite

Comment

When can we expect to have informations on this new GI system? Just knowing if it's real time or not would be nice.

Comment

Working...
                                X