Global Illumination in other engines [ UNIGINE ]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kenpimentel View Post
    Eventually. I think it might be OK to reveal that Juan Canada is involved. If you don't know who he is, do a google search...
    OH **** this guy was the head of Maxwell Render

Comment

Eventually. I think it might be OK to reveal that Juan Canada is involved. If you don't know who he is, do a google search...
      ****... that's some good news right there

Comment

You mean Juan Cañada ?

Is real fun Epic Games show in 2012 a realtime GI working on UE4, they removed it on release in 2014 and now come in 2018 to talk about a another static lightbaker to be added while by now from what I know this is the only game engine in the without realtime Global illumination, even Godot have it <Unigine, Cryengine, Ubisoft Engines...> and now even Blender have more realtime features.
        Last edited by Hevedy; 06-18-2018, 06:07 AM.
        Hevedy - Instance Tools: https://hevedy.itch.io/hevedyinstances
        Hevedy - Image Tools: https://hevedy.itch.io/imagetools

Comment

Thats sweet news indeed! Lets look out for what we are about to see here

Hevedy Its not that easy! A lot of these solutions have strong limitations and Ubisofts GI is also brebaked! They just interpolate between different prebaked states. Also, they need lots of manual work too so everything comes with a trade off.

Of course I would love realtime GI as well and I am one of the biggest supporters for it. Sadly, we are still living in times were any "realtime" solution still has to be pretty much custom tailored per game to work efficiently.

Quantum Break had some super cool advancements, but that stuff runs only hardlocked at 30 for relatively narrow and small levels...so you couldnt use it for open world stuff at 60 FPS....which some games just need/decide to ship with.

I am playing AC: Origins right now and while the GI looks a lot sexier than in previous games...its still wonky as **** in a lot of cases

Aaaanyways....I am totally up for GPU Lightmass baking on the fly in the viewport

Cheers!
          Check out UNREAL 4 Lighting Academy
          https://forums.unrealengine.com/show...ng-like-that-)

Comment

Originally posted by Hevedy View Post

You mean Juan Cañada ?

Is real fun Epic Games show in 2012 a realtime GI working on UE4, they removed it on release in 2014 and now come in 2018 to talk about a another static lightbaker to be added while by now from what I know this is the only game engine in the without realtime Global illumination, even Godot have it <Unigine, Cryengine, Ubisoft Engines...> and now even Blender have more realtime features.
            Where did they say that what they are working on is another static light baker?

Originally posted by Daedalus51 View Post
            Hevedy Its not that easy!
            Godot has it, even the new armory 3d engine made by a single guy has it. Epic have way more ressources than these guys, I don't see why they couldn't do it too. UE4 had real time GI before it's release and they removed it because it was supposedly too ressource consuming (for consoles... once again). But now they are working on RTX which won't even run on most computers, let alone consoles. Can't see the logic behind that, especially since real time GI has been a hugely requested feature since 2014.

I refuse to bake lightmaps anymore. Too time consuming, never works right, and cannot be used in big outdoors. I'll keep faking GI with point lights and spot lights until Epic comes up with something, keeping my fingers crossed that the new announcement will be related to real time GI.

Comment

Originally posted by SilentAndAsleep View Post

Where did they say that what they are working on is another static light baker?

Godot has it, even the new armory 3d engine made by a single guy has it. Epic have way more ressources than these guys, I don't see why they couldn't do it too. UE4 had real time GI before it's release and they removed it because it was supposedly too ressource consuming (for consoles... once again). But now they are working on RTX which won't even run on most computers, let alone consoles. Can't see the logic behind that, especially since real time GI has been a hugely requested feature since 2014.

I refuse to bake lightmaps anymore. Too time consuming, never works right, and cannot be used in big outdoors. I'll keep faking GI with point lights and spot lights until Epic comes up with something, keeping my fingers crossed that the new announcement will be related to real time GI.

I think you're misunderstanding something fundamental: having any form of voxel global illumination implemented in your Engine doesn't make it the holy grail out of the box. Voxel solutions still have many issues and performance isn't too great even on high-end PC hardware if you really want to make a game with it

Just because some tools have these, doesn't mean they will be a good fit for any type of game, that's all I am trying to say Lightmass isn't a good fit for every game either, but for smaller environments, the quality is way superior to voxel solutions and the performance unbeatable. If you can make the computation process for that a lot more interactive...that's a HUGE gain for a lot of people.

Open world lighting needs custom solutions, so don't expect voxels to solve that or Epic to fix that

In a few years when performance is sooo much faster, all of that won't matter anymore, but for now, it just does^^

Cheers!

PS: It's not about: they cant do it. It's more like whats the most efficient and beneficial way. And that just isn't....for now
              Last edited by Daedalus51; 06-18-2018, 02:31 PM.

Comment

Hi all,

I joined Epic a few months ago and have been working in the real time ray tracing GDC tech and in the new Lightmass developments. Just want to say hi and tell you we will do our best to deliver something very good.

Originally posted by The_Distiller View Post

Are you referring to Luoshuang's GPU lightmass or something truly interactive like the GPU progressive lightmappers from Unity and Frostbite?
                Luoshuang (Yujiang Xang) is also part of the team now, together with more great folks that joined the team recently. As Ken said we have staffed up a team with a strong background on global illumination techniques and we are working very hard to achieve great things soon!

Comment

Originally posted by Juan Canada View Post
                  Hi all,

I joined Epic a few months ago and have been working in the real time ray tracing GDC tech and in the new Lightmass developments. Just want to say hi and tell you we will do our best to deliver something very good.

Luoshuang (Yujiang Xang) is also part of the team now, together with more great folks that joined the team recently. As Ken said we have staffed up a team with a strong background on global illumination techniques and we are working very hard to achieve great things soon!
                  Hey Juan,

Fantastic! Can't wait to see what you guys will come up with!

Cheers!

Comment

Hi all,

That sounds great! Can't wait to know more about all of this.

Comment

Just want to say hi and tell you we will do our best to deliver something very good. Luoshuang (Yujiang Xang) is also part of the team now, together with more great folks that joined the team recently. As Ken said we have staffed up a team with a strong background on global illumination techniques and we are working very hard to achieve great things soon!
                      Hi and welcome. This is good news!

I was afraid before all the Fortnite cash $$$ was going to go on stuff like this ...

Comment

Welcome Juan, always good to hear from the devs themselves. Can't wait see what you guys are cooking!
                        ArtStation

Comment

Hello Juan that's awesome. I can't wait for news on the lightmass frontline!!

Comment

Hi all,

Great News! we are waiting a long time!

https://media.giphy.com/media/5gw0VWGbgNm8w/giphy.gif

Comment

Thanks for the warm welcome

Comment

can we get a tease? i'd love to see some progress, been waiting for many years to see a sort of dynamic gi or improved lightmass on unreal engine 4, competition has been rough these years and unreal engine 4 has been way below the rest when it comes to lightning improvements, cannot wait to see more, keep up the good work
                                "Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration. That we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively. There is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves. Here's Tom with the weather."

Comment

Working...
                                X