Global Illumination in other engines [ UNIGINE ]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NilsonLima View Post
    The main issue with that CryEngine video is that it does not show which resolution (I know the video is in 4k) and which is the framerate to achieve that, remember that all you need to create a cinematic like that is 30 FPS, which is still real time. It also says reflections, nothing about shadows. Also will that work on consoles?
    I doubt RTX tech is going on next gen console, so I suppose current UE4 support its irrelevant on that target Also in my idea generally speaking a bad idea being single vendor locked.

Comment

Originally posted by davide445 View Post

I doubt RTX tech is going on next gen console, so I suppose current UE4 support its irrelevant on that target Also in my idea generally speaking a bad idea being single vendor locked.
      I too doubt RTX tech is going on next gen console, but if that CryEngine thing is true (not a marketing trick) then that could change. Epic just made a decision on implementing DXR because outside of world of making games, there is a lucrative world of arch/viz and film making that can yes use the engine. We will all get benefits from this in the future. Just someone needs to do it first, so more adopters earlier.
      Nilson Lima
      Technical Director @ Rigel Studios Ltda - twitter: @RigelStudios
      Join us at Discord: https://discord.gg/uFFSEXY

UE4 Marketplace: Cloudscape Seasons
      supporting: Community FREE Ocean plugin

Comment

I too doubt RTX tech is going on next gen console, but if that CryEngine thing is true (not a marketing trick) then that could change. Epic just made a decision on implementing DXR because outside of world of making games, there is a lucrative world of arch/viz and film making that can yes use the engine. We will all get benefits from this in the future. Just someone needs to do it first, so more adopters earlier.
        Even within the world of games, using RTX to preview and hopefully bake lighting would be a massive improvement to the guess and wait workflow.

Comment

Originally posted by Juan Canada View Post
          Hi all,

I joined Epic a few months ago and have been working in the real time ray tracing GDC tech and in the new Lightmass developments. Just want to say hi and tell you we will do our best to deliver something very good.

Luoshuang (Yujiang Xang) is also part of the team now, together with more great folks that joined the team recently. As Ken said we have staffed up a team with a strong background on global illumination techniques and we are working very hard to achieve great things soon!
          Hi Juan,

Just found out that you have joined Epic and are about to do your GDC talk soon (tm).
          Big fan since the maxwell days in alpha (made some GUI based batch tools back in the days for free in the forums).
          I had a little humble wish then that someday somehow maxwell render would go into raytracing for games. Having now seen you joined Epic is like a dream come true. I'm confident that you will make wonders with that amazing Epic team.

Well done Epic getting Juan to join the team!

Looking forward to the GDC that's like.... an hour and a half from now.

Comment

Originally posted by Bladerskb View Post

I always knew this whole RTX thing was a money grab.
            GIven last post 3-20:

Still is from my POV, no illusions on requirements to 'play', but the video card they used here is going for $300,,,how many can afford that, reasonably ? That's alot for the average consumer but then sure I know, 'average' these days doesnt cut it for game dev does it It's SO hard to get a realistic scene in UE4, especially like myself if you've got a not tiny world with WC- no tutorails really work for lighting when on light doesn't cut it and its hard to get to anything approach GI without your FPS tanking- always trade offs . I've learned alot thx to tutorails but nobody covers 'large' worlds and do my best afterwards . I'm becoming more and more happy with lighting but near to perfection is a ways off for most of us I imagine..how many have truly large worlds, complex worlds and accurate GI- RT lighting of any kind without investing a lot of money < yes I know that's a big lift> Lighting is SO complex as we all, just as you think you have the right settings, oops that area over there looks abysmal

Only thing I've not done yet is LIV because it crashes ( no fault of my 8gb ram OFC ) , but that's a WIP, but is that alone going to ace this...
            Last edited by neighborlee; 04-30-2019, 07:42 AM.
            Solo but Seismic - feel free to apply
            https://neighborlee1.wixsite.com/theheartseed

Comment

I too doubt RTX tech is going on next gen console, but if that CryEngine thing is true (not a marketing trick) then that could change.
              funny now, a month and a half later:
              Follow me on Twitter!
              Developer of Elium - Prison Escape
              Local Image-Based Lighting for UE4

Comment

Chosker I did posted in other places over the Internet that if that CryEngine demo was really real, they should sent out an executable demo for people to test... but they didn't. That alone at least for me proved way too suspicious... seeing the article above kinda make sense, but they would possibly also picked only few objects to have the realtime reflections... which would be not bad, but again they didn't mention, which just unfortunately adds up to the bunch of **** they have being doing lately and destroying years of their game industry history with bad strategic decisions and actions.
                Nilson Lima

Comment

Okay, while I certainly do NOT claim to be a developer in all things ray-tracing a few things stick out to me , at least from a laymans POV:
                  1) He updated it: UPDATE: Maybe I went a bit too overboard...I"M NOT offering the rest, you can read it, as I'm unable to COPY text on the page HM__
                  2) The pictures are far too small, you can't click on them to inspect his findings ( ZOOM: anyone ever heard of that, viz: newegg ).

Not professional at all, I'm definitely NOT going to come to any conclusion, therefore

Comment

Chosker I did posted in other places over the Internet that if that CryEngine demo was really real, they should sent out an executable demo for people to test... but they didn't. That alone at least for me proved way too suspicious... seeing the article above kinda make sense, but they would possibly also picked only few objects to have the realtime reflections... which would be not bad, but again they didn't mention, which just unfortunately adds up to the bunch of **** they have being doing lately and destroying years of their game industry history with bad strategic decisions and actions.
                    well they must have *something* (I'd say few raytrace rays on few objects/pixels) - and I would expect it to make it into CryEngine eventually, otherwise claiming real time reflections would eventually backfire. funny part is their roadmap has no mention of raytracing at all
                    Follow me on Twitter!
                    Developer of Elium - Prison Escape
                    Local Image-Based Lighting for UE4

Comment

Does this help,,can's are at the end but go by too fast imho and a zoomable image would work ( but author had none ), but I see lots of reflections, the tall cracked mirror to me, is the coolest part. I therefore won't comment, its not my place and honestly, we'll see when it shows up .
                      https://www.cryengine.com/news/cryte...-for-cryengine
                      Last edited by neighborlee; 04-30-2019, 12:14 PM.

Comment

On further inspection,I do see rings on casing reflection, you just have to look rather hard, and I think its being missed, because its refracting ( why more so than other casing images I can't say, not an expert, who here is ?) , while others don't have that circle to reflect. Dunno-
                        Last edited by neighborlee; 04-30-2019, 12:32 PM.

Comment

The major point when you say you have a tech which works, is to deploy a demo executable for others to test. That would take all things out of the world of speculation. They just gave a piece of video and didn't even get a machine and run from it in front of anyone. I really hope theirs work, and Unity's too, we got ours (UE4), we just need this tech matured, so video card manufactures bring this into their hardware and start selling and with some luck for us, get those things cheaper!
                          Nilson Lima

Comment

Ya I agree, that A lot cheaper ...so cool.

Comment

Crytek has always been ahead of the pack where it comes to advancements in real-time visuals. They had Prism-Pom years before UE4 even got POM. A very workable and quite impressive Voxel GI (that also popped up out of nowhere btw, not listed on the roadmap as in development) where UE4 'traded' for LPV's
                              I have no doubt this is real too. Perhaps things were communicated rather clumsy without any malicious intend. Very possible.
                              Pity it comes from a company that is now mostly known for its exceptional talent to wreck itself but hope it will help in the push to make the hardware cheaper regardless.
                              https://www.artstation.com/chesire

Comment

Originally posted by Chesire View Post
                                Crytek has always been ahead of the pack where it comes to advancements in real-time visuals...
                                CryTek lost all of their senior programmers when they failed to pay wages for months after their Rome game flopped.
                                | Savior | USQLite | FSM | Object Pool | Sound Occlusion | Property Transfer | Magic Nodes | MORE |

Comment

Working...
                                X