Vray for Unreal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vray for Unreal

I think some people will find this interesting. Unity got octane, ue4 now have vray.

https://newsletters.chaosgroup.com/n...s/preview/1392

also, vlado is looking into adding lightmap baking to it...

Comment

So i have been testing it last night and i struggle a little bit to understand who they are targeting with this plugin, Seems to me that they are targeting existing Vray customers in the way that you have to change all your materials and lighting to Vray versions. I don't fully understand the benefit it has for existing customers except for getting their scenes in to unreal and that is if i understand it correctly already implemented in Datasmith.
      They have made two parent materials which you have to instance to get it rendered without a pink result and they are in the moment not working in a satisfying way. You have to set your lights to infinite with a high intensity to get them rendered. They also have their own Skylight and a sky/sun system and it didn't even seem to work with the HDRI in their own example scene.
      I was hoping for it to be an useful add on for my existing workflow but in the moment i think it's not a good solution. Its still early testing so i expect improvements to be made.
      The world is centered around 3dsmax and integrated solutions as it is now but hopefully it will change.

Comment

I just had my team download the beta but they haven't gotten a chance to test it out yet.
        Is it just a glorified screen capture?
        It would be nice to get render elements out of a scene for post production I guess.
        Lewis Garrison
        Co-Founder and Lead Illustrator at VIZfire
        Architect at Partners by Design

https://vizfire.net/

https://www.linkedin.com/in/lewis-garrison-79301b5b/

Comment

Originally posted by Shoppe View Post
          So i have been testing it last night and i struggle a little bit to understand who they are targeting with this plugin, Seems to me that they are targeting existing Vray customers in the way that you have to change all your materials and lighting to Vray versions. I don't fully understand the benefit it has for existing customers except for getting their scenes in to unreal and that is if i understand it correctly already implemented in Datasmith.
          They have made two parent materials which you have to instance to get it rendered without a pink result and they are in the moment not working in a satisfying way. You have to set your lights to infinite with a high intensity to get them rendered. They also have their own Skylight and a sky/sun system and it didn't even seem to work with the HDRI in their own example scene.
          I was hoping for it to be an useful add on for my existing workflow but in the moment i think it's not a good solution. Its still early testing so i expect improvements to be made.
          The world is centered around 3dsmax and integrated solutions as it is now but hopefully it will change.
          The purpose is to have one editor to do it all. photoreal stills, movies, vr, games etc. And let's be real, the unreal viewport is much more powerful than max viewport.

unity just got octane renderer integration which is basically the same thing as vray for unreal.

Comment

I dont know what they are planing with this but for me its a dealbreaker if it limits the use of unreal to their own materials.

Comment

Working...
            X