Testing Unreal Studio

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Testing Unreal Studio

Hi friends, here you can see a recent work. You can try the exe for PC and HTC Vive in mediagenio.com.

I hope you like it!

www.mediagenio.com

Nice. In your opinion, what needs to be improved with Unreal Studio? We’re all ears to make it better!
    Pierre-Felix Breton

Sr Technical Product Designer AEC, Unreal Engine
    Epic Games - LinkedIn

Comment

Hi Pierre, thank you for your coment. I hadn't any problem with the importation of datas. All the scene appeared correctly in the first try. It was incredible.

There is a few points that could enhance or complement Unreal Studio.

1. Is needly to compact the lightmaps mapping with more precision, because the user will obtain more resolution in less size. This also will repercute in the size of final executable because it will be smaller.

2. The material composition in Unreal is very complex. A simple Vraymat with diffuse, reflect and glossines arrive to Unreal with too much nodes (add, subtract, divide, multiply, power.....)

3. I use instanced materials in all my others projects. It would be interesting if Unreal Studio offers the possibility to instantiate all the materials that have a similary composition.

Nothing more by the moment.

Kind regards.
      Last edited by jarnosrt8; 03-15-2018, 05:31 PM.
      www.mediagenio.com

Comment

Originally posted by jarnosrt8 View Post
        Hi Pierre, thank you for your coment. I hadn't any problem with the importation of datas. All the scene appeared correctly in the first try. It was incredible.

1. Is needly to compact the lightmaps mapping with more precision, because the user will obtain more resolution in less size. This also will repercute in the size of final executable because it will be smaller.

2. The material composition in Unreal is very complex. A simple Vraymat with diffuse, reflect and glossines arrive to Unreal with too much nodes (add, subtract, divide, multiply, power.....)

3. I use instanced materials in all my others projects. It would be interesting if Unreal Studio offers the possibility to instantiate all the materials that have a similary composition.

4. Suggestion: valorate the possibility of export with any format like Alembic for static meshes, because the Alembic meshes's size (without animation) is extremely light comparating with FBX or any other format. This doesn't repercute in the final exe, but helps to have smaller project folders.

Kind regards.
        I have not yet tried it since I dissociate a bit from unreal makes several versions, I do not know how unreal studio works but could you comment a bit for those who come back a bit?

More or less I've seen something, but I'm wondering, is it necessary to create in 3d studio the mapping for light maps or has this changed?

Greetings and good work.

Comment

Originally posted by JMSC View Post

I have not yet tried it since I dissociate a bit from unreal makes several versions, I do not know how unreal studio works but could you comment a bit for those who come back a bit?

More or less I've seen something, but I'm wondering, is it necessary to create in 3d studio the mapping for light maps or has this changed?

Greetings and good work.
          It's not necessary. It'll do it automatically with pretty decent quality.
          Guilherme Rabello Co-founder, Sureale
          Artstation | Behance | Youtube | Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by jarnosrt8 View Post

4. Suggestion: valorate the possibility of export with any format like Alembic for static meshes, because the Alembic meshes's size (without animation) is extremely light comparating with FBX or any other format. This doesn't repercute in the final exe, but helps to have smaller project folders.

Kind regards.
            Thanks for the concise reply. The good news is that all the problems you have listed are also reported by many other users so it’s not a surprise for us and havé them in our backlog.

For the mesh suggestion I am a bit curious to hear why your saying this. We’re exporting our own mesh format that is very close to the ue internal format which insure a maximum amount of performance, but I am happy to be proven wrong. Did you had some benchmarks in mind?

Pierre-Felix Breton

Epic Games - LinkedIn

Comment

A proper rec light would be nice. And an easier way to achieve hdri lighting. Like vrays dome light.

Comment

Originally posted by pf_breton View Post

Thanks for the concise reply. The good news is that all the problems you have listed are also reported by many other users so it’s not a surprise for us and havé them in our backlog.

For the mesh suggestion I am a bit curious to hear why your saying this. We’re exporting our own mesh format that is very close to the ue internal format which insure a maximum amount of performance, but I am happy to be proven wrong. Did you had some benchmarks in mind?
                Hi Pierre, sorry for my sugestion, I was wrong because I checked a wrong file. I will remove the suggestion from the original message. The Datasmith format is really good.
                www.mediagenio.com

Comment

Originally posted by Luma3d View Post
                  A proper rec light would be nice. And an easier way to achieve hdri lighting. Like vrays dome light.
                  Right. Unreal Studio is including Datasmith and a couple more things, but I understand why from your point of view it should also improve on the rendering side. We are looking at those problems with the UE4 rendering team, but it will take some time.
                  Pierre-Felix Breton

Epic Games - LinkedIn

Comment

Working...
                  X