Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Unreal Studio is Launched and available! (new dedicated forum section)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by VorocityVor View Post
    Ok, I got all excited when I imported a Solidworks model and it came in fine, created UV's (!!), and the material in Unreal looked great. But I tried to open a 2018 file and it crashed. Looking in the docs, it mentions only Solidworks 2014 is supported. I had tested with an old file. So is this truly the case? I'd be surprised if anybody uses Solidworks 2014 in the year 2018 since Solidworks pushes out the latest to subscribers every year. Also there is no way to save out to an earlier version. So do I have this correct? I hope not, as it's fantastic software, but only loading 4 year old files is a non-starter.

Anyone know if there is a path to bringing the plug-in current? Or maybe another workflow that will allow import from Solidworks including the auto-UV function? Having to UV 100's of models from Solidworks to be able to work in Unreal is the unbreakable barrier for me. Thanks.
    We support Solidworks 2017 for sure, and we'll support Solidworks 2018. Our docs are wrong, so I'll get that fixed.
    Sr. Product Manager
    Epic Games

Comment

Originally posted by syrom View Post

more like when a octo tesla card setup is affordable. Right now you have to be a billionaire.
      Cryengine isn't that demanding.

Comment

Datasmith is incredible, i wish we had a similar option on the mainstream UE4 branch. Could be pretty useful to iterate on levels of my game. Being able to export a full scene, and having it all setup properly in UE4 is amazing.
        Last edited by MaximeDupart; 04-20-2018, 02:35 PM.
        LinkedIn | Link custom Shaders in 4.21/4.22/4.23 | Atmosphere Modelisation | Distance Matching Locomotion | Nvidia GameWorks builds - 4.19.2 : VXGI2.0, Blast, HairWorks, Flow - Plugins: VictoryBP

Comment

Hi,

I am still a bit confused because I am having hard time finding out clear definition of differences between Unreal Engine and Unreal Studio.

The way I understand it, Unreal Studio main difference is that instead of game sales royalties, you pay monthly subscription but do not have an obligation to pay 5% royalty off of the jobs done with it. On top of that, Studio contains Datasmith exporter, Learning Resources, official support and some random substance stuff.

But just to make sure, my questions are:
          1, Are there any features omitted from Unreal Studio in comparison to UE4, or does Unreal Studio contain every single feature of UE4 + more stuff on top?

2, Is there any possibility of future removal of some features from Unreal Studio to prevent it from being used to produce games, or game-like content?

3, In future development, are there any plans to make certain features exclusive just for Unreal Studio? By those I mean core features such as rendering capabilities, blueprint capabilities and so on. Not auxiliary features such as exporters (datasmith) or learning resources.

4, Will the release cycle of Unreal Studio be in sync with UE4? Or will Studio users sometimes have to lag behind in feature set because the features are already ready for UE4 but not yet ready for Unreal Studio?

5, Is it possible to produce content, which can not be clearly defined as either a game or a visualization/entertainment even with UE4 (non studio version) and still use the "5% royalty after a first quarter in which the content earnings exceed $3000" model?
          https://www.artstation.com/artist/rawalanche

Comment

#1 Unreal Studio sits on top of UE4, so you're not missing anything.

#2 The plan is to keep things this way. We're not trying to trick you into doing something you'll regret.

#3 I don't have a crystal ball, but there is no plan take anything away you already have in UE4. How could we possibly answer this question for an infinite future? What is "core" to you might not be "core" to the guy next to you.

#4 Pretty much in sync, but we have to lag a little (weeks) to make sure of quality in Studio features. Previews of Engine will often include some, but not all Studio features. Previews won't be complete (per definition).

#5 Don't know. Probably need to be very specific about what you're talking about and give a clear example.
            Sr. Product Manager
            Epic Games

Comment

Hello,
              I followed the instructions as mentioned in the video for the installation but it doesnt seem to work the visual studio tab in the new project section does not show and the datasmith icon in the menu is not there as well. any ideas please ?

Click image for larger version

Name:	2018-04-24_8-41-11.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	121.7 KB
ID:	1465800Click image for larger version

Name:	2018-04-24_8-43-01.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	295.0 KB
ID:	1465801
              Attached Files

Comment

Are you sure you're using the same epic account you registered for unreal studio?
                Sr. Product Manager
                Epic Games

Comment

Hi All,

I have a question about Unreal Studio. Might be very silly and probably due to the fact that I am a newbie in Unreal.
                  I have successfully installed Unreal Studio and imported my scene with Datasmith.
                  Everything works fine, I save the work and close Unreal.
                  When I go back to it and reload my project the scene is empty. What is the reason?

Is it because it is a beta version so incomplete or am I doing something wrong?

Regards,

Giacomo.

Comment

I think it will help you to watch some videos on how projects work in Unreal Engine. https://www.unrealengine.com/en-US/video-tutorials
                    Sr. Product Manager
                    Epic Games

Comment

Hi, I am totally new to unreal...but would like to use it for Architectural Visualization and maybe bring to VR. My questions is, what are the differences between Unreal Studio and Twin Motion? the pro & Cons? I am modeling mostly in Revit.
                      Thanks in advance.

Comment

Originally posted by ST_Ang View Post
                        Hi, I am totally new to unreal...but would like to use it for Architectural Visualization and maybe bring to VR. My questions is, what are the differences between Unreal Studio and Twin Motion? the pro & Cons? I am modeling mostly in Revit.
                        Thanks in advance.
                        Ive been testing out Twinmotion for the last few weeks and just got wind of Unreal Studio. I'll know more in a bit but here are a few impressions.

With Twinmotion a real-time example of the scene can be exported as an executable called BIMotion. With it clients can walk (or fly) through the scene. With the player the viewer can change the weather, time of day or month of the year by adjusting simple sliders. If a headset is attached the scene can be viewed in VR. Also the project can be exported as a video, or images. The program has a fairly wide range of materials, models and animations. There are a few sound files available, but it is not yet possible to import your own. This is a pretty nifty piece of software. The playable executable I mentioned above is fairly hefty though and my test scene was 6GB once exported. Even so it worked flawlessly and was fully functional, and all that on a gaming laptop. There are quality settings in Twinmotion that give you access to certain features. For instance, it rains, snows and leaves fall in my kitchen because the program detected that my workstation was only capable of running on a medium setting. There are four: settings: low, medium, high and ultra. The higher your setting the more features you have access to, which seems like a pretty smart move as it ensures a certain amount of success even at a variety of levels.

I just downloaded Unreal Studio and the Datasmith plug yesterday. I imported the same test scene I used in twinmotion without a problem. I've done some work in Unreal in the past and getting your models into it and then getting them up and running has been quite a process. Well not with Datasmith. It really is a 'with the click of a button' solution. As I read here it seems Studio is built on top of a full game engine (UE4), so anything you can do in a game you can do in Studio. First or third person, open doors, enter and exit portals to a new level to name but a few. You just have to learn how to do it. Studio comes with less presets, but more flexibility depending on what you need it for. Also you can export your scene to be viewed in a web browser which makes your 'real-time' work immediately accessible to a wide audience.

Comment

Originally posted by kenpimentel View Post
                          Here's the problem, you have no plans to move forwards. Are we to support 3ds Max 2015 for the next 5-10 years? Even when the tools to create plugins for 3ds Max 2015 are no longer available? It's a dead-end for us. We can't support every version of 3ds Max from 2015 and on, with all the various versions of V-Ray and Corona included for every release of Datasmith. It's inevitable that you'll be disappointed eventually when we are forced to drop 3ds Max 2015 in a couple years because something broke in the development environment. I don't think we want to create a bunch of angry users that way.
                          Hi. Can you please tell me if paying for a license to Unreal Studio will in some way improve my ability to get technical support. I need to do something which may be quite an envelope pusher for Unreal Engine and right now its looking difficult to track down what features I will have available and what outside coding I'll need to do - or whether I'll need to abandon use of unreal engine for the product. I'm not so much doing architectural visualization as music lighting visualization BTW, so its a stretch whether "studio" is particularly applicable, but it may be where the best tech support overall may be.
                          Last edited by zenwarlord; 06-30-2019, 01:54 PM.

Comment

Working...
                          X