Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jagged Edges in Planar Reflections

Hi.

Planar reflections in my scene have jagged edges and i haven't been able to find any solution yet. I've made some search on the web and here is what i've done to get rid of jagged edges so far:

-Reflection capture resolution is set to 1024 in project settings.

-Screen space reflections is set to '0' in post process volume.

-I've changed the G Buffer Format to 'High Precision Normals' in project settings

-I've checked the 'Use High Precision Tangent Base' in static mesh, LOD0 settings.

-My planar reflection settings are shared as an image.

-Engine scalebility settings are all epic. Also cinematic has been tried and not helped.

- Add and remove both box reflection captures and sphere reflection captures and it didn't work.

- Lightmass settings are; SLS:0,5 - ILQ:0,5 - ILS: 1.

-When i use box reflection and sphere reflection alone (without planar reflection) jagged edges are corrected but in that situation reflections are wrong and unrealistic.

As a result i want a mirror reflection and i want it without jagged edges.

I need your help

Thank you in advance.

You would need to increase the resolution of the reflection capture, the 1024 resolution is smaller than what the reflection object is on the screen so it's going to look pixelated.

Comment

I had tried to increase it but i couldn't. I guess its because my graphics card is 2 gb. If it is so there is nothing i can do for now. But if it is not about my graphics card (may be there is some trick in console command) would you please let me know how to increase the resolution of the reflection capture.

Comment

In the planar reflection settings, there is a screen percentage value which defaults to 50, you can turn that up
        My Game Frontier Devblog HERE

Comment

I've already made it 100 but it did'nt help.

Comment

There's probably a limit to the planar reflection resolution, it's not really designed for something that big.

Comment

Thank you.

Comment

I've dealt with a roof like that before. It's my belief that a lot of the jaggedness you are seeing in these screenshots is more due to the moire effect of your roof geometry as seen from a distance. I bet if you tiled that roof out a few more times, you'd start to see exactly the same moire effect, planar resolution or not. What version of the engine are you using, I feel like your planar reflection settings are missing an option that i swear I've seen in newer versions... I do realise that your second screenshot does show some aliasing that isn't due to the moire effect, but one problem at a time...

Comment

Moire is an issue there, but you can see in the same screenshots the real part of the scene that's being reflected which doesn't have as much of an issue as the reflection, so it's mostly due to lower resolution and anti-aliasing in the reflection

Comment

Originally posted by VaSSiLi View Post
                    I've dealt with a roof like that before. It's my belief that a lot of the jaggedness you are seeing in these screenshots is more due to the moire effect of your roof geometry as seen from a distance. I bet if you tiled that roof out a few more times, you'd start to see exactly the same moire effect, planar resolution or not. What version of the engine are you using, I feel like your planar reflection settings are missing an option that i swear I've seen in newer versions... I do realise that your second screenshot does show some aliasing that isn't due to the moire effect, but one problem at a time...
                    In third screenshot, we can not talk about any moire affect. The jagged edges can be seen clearly there. But you're right; when those jagged edges become closer as they do in the ceiling (ın second screenshot) moire affect comes to exist. So the main issue is still jagged edges in reflection imo.

Comment

Originally posted by VaSSiLi View Post
                      By the way i've forgotten to answer. My engine version is 4.18.2. I twaeked some settings in planar reflection but nothing was changed.

Comment

Can anyone try to increase the 'reflection capture resolution' in project settings more than 1024. At least i learn that if the 1024 pixel limitation in my case is caused by my graphics card or it is the limitation of engine itself.

Comment

One of the reason for this jagged edge could be that the particular edges in the UnwrapUV are at a different angle. Select the particular objects faces and try to rotate the UV so as to align the edges to the border.

Comment

It has nothing to do with the UV's, you can see the beams look fine outside of the reflection, it's all an issue with the lower resolution of the reflection

Comment

Working...
                            X