This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Announcing: Unreal Datasmith: Beta registration is live

At SIGGRAPH, we announced beta registration for our new Unreal Datasmith: A collection of workflow tools to deliver a frictionless experience for importing existing assets from Architecture and Design pipelines for experiencing design.

You'll find two components initially in the beta:
    1) Unreal Datasmith for 3ds Max: Import entire scenes with maximum fidelity and minimum effort. Materials, lights and cameras converted with support for V-Ray, Corona and Mental Ray.
    2) Unreal Datasmith CAD: Import over 20 CAD formats, including Catia, NX, Creo and Rhino directly into the engine. Supports tessellation of Brep formats and import of part assemblies plus more.

If you want to read more on this initiative and register, then look for the details that sit below the on-line registration form.
    Sr. Product Manager
    Epic Games

I have really high expectations for this and are looking forward to se how it can cut down on the workflow. Our clients still choose rendered solutions doe to the expensive workflow to Unreal. The quality of Unreal realtime render is already good enough. I would hope there is a future plan for revit, sketchup and Archicad.

Comment

Can I access this functionality from C++ at runtime so that I can load assets from, say, Revit during gameplay ?

Comment

Originally posted by dsanjit View Post
        Can I access this functionality from C++ at runtime so that I can load assets from, say, Revit during gameplay ?
        This is one of the problems we want to solve. We don't have it solved yet.
        Sr. Product Manager
        Epic Games

Comment

This sounds amazing. I wish that every design product developer had this same ethos. I was so excited to read the beta page for Datasmith.

I filled out the form in haste while still in bed this morning. I didn't realize the 'Products you work with:' section scrolled to reveal more options. Is there a way I can edit my Beta application submission? Alternatively, if I submit again, will the system ignore my second entry? Or worse, will it penalize me for entering more than once?

I feel like this is the Halliday's Egg of interoperability gifts to the Oasis... that is... I feel like this is quite the lottery jackpot and I don't want to miss out!
          Jonah Hawk
          Associate Partner
          Design Visualization
          ZGF Architects LLP
          Portland - Seattle - LA - DC - NYC - Vancouver, BC
          Architect 50 #1

Comment

Jonahhawk, we intend to let at least a thousand into the beta, so your odds are probably pretty good getting in.
            Sr. Product Manager
            Epic Games

Comment

I'm just like Jonahhawk, typing as fast as I can to fill the form and submit . Can't wait for it.

By the way, would there be something to announce if I can't be a part of the beta?

Comment

We want to bring in people who can help as we release specific capabilities (which is why we ask the questions we do). You remain "pending" in our system as we might select you later rather than sooner.

I think we'll have to increase the scale of the beta as the interest is already a bit more than expected...
                Sr. Product Manager
                Epic Games

Comment

Glad to hear that . Hope I will receive your invitation for the beta one day .

Comment

Please do not charge for the 3ds Max portion of Datasmith. Split out the CAD side of things if you have to for licensing reasons. I don't know why everyone shuns 3ds Max as a workflow tool for games; it's not just used for archviz and FBX is horrible to work with.
                    PouncingKitten Games, LLC
                    http://www.pouncingkitten.com

Comment

Originally posted by mairsil View Post
                      Please do not charge for the 3ds Max portion of Datasmith. Split out the CAD side of things if you have to for licensing reasons. I don't know why everyone shuns 3ds Max as a workflow tool for games; it's not just used for archviz and FBX is horrible to work with.
                      What makes you think they're going to charge for it?
                      George Rolfe.
                      Technical Coordinator at Orbit Solutions Pty Ltd.

Comment

Originally posted by duke22 View Post
                        What makes you think they're going to charge for it?
                        Because that's what the beta signup page says:

Q: Will Datasmith be free?

A: Unreal Engine will continue to be free under the terms of our EULA. Datasmith will be something you pay for once we officially launch it. Pricing is not determined at this point. Access to the Datasmith beta is free.
                        PouncingKitten Games, LLC
                        http://www.pouncingkitten.com

Comment

Oh wow. Well hopefully it's reasonably priced.
                          George Rolfe.
                          Technical Coordinator at Orbit Solutions Pty Ltd.

Comment

Originally posted by duke22 View Post
                            Oh wow. Well hopefully it's reasonably priced.
                            Depends on your definition of "reasonable". The offering is not just software, it will also include professional support (and possibly other things). We do not plan on offering the software without support. The support will include engine support. Other details on the support and the total offering will be released when we are ready.
                            Sr. Product Manager
                            Epic Games

Comment

can noobs with no reputation in archviz industry like me recieve an invitation for testing ?
                              anyway I'm whiling to pay for it no matter what, but I don't need support guys as I fully trust your products maybe you can cut the price a bit and take away the support ?

Comment

Working...
                              X