Exterior Light Studies

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by franquy View Post
    Hi, I would like to consult why I can not put the .exr map in the skylight slot?, and if I can put a .hdr
    Thank you very much for any reply.
    I don't know either. I always convert my HDR files to EXR so I can apply them on spherical meshes.
    Guilherme Rabello Co-founder, Sureale
    Artstation | Behance | Youtube | Instagram

Comment

Hi, great job
      mind if i ask how did u do ur landscape? did u use UE4 landscape tools or do it in 3d software?
      also how big is ur landscape? ty

Comment

Originally posted by rabellogp View Post
        The grass is scattered all over the place with grass tool (foliage types associated to landscape materials).
        Hi, Can you share how do you set foliage type to landscape materials ?

Comment

[MENTION=360]rabellogp[/MENTION] Hi, Are you using distance field occulsion from the skylight to get shadows cast between the leaves or cascaded shadows works just fine, seems this only works with movable skylight though. Also for the trees shader are you using the two sided foilage shading model with masked or translucent blend mode?

Comment

Hello, I'm looking for guy like you for a project. P.M me on skype : ugamesoft

Will be waiting there

Cheers,
            Prashanth

Comment

Originally posted by OWSON View Post
              Hi, great job
              mind if i ask how did u do ur landscape? did u use UE4 landscape tools or do it in 3d software?
              also how big is ur landscape? ty
              Thanks.
              I've used Google Earth + Sktetchup + UE4 Landscape Tool. I used a Sketchup tool to grab real topography information of a real location from Google Earth. It's been a while since I did this though, so I can't say if Sketchup still has this feature... Then I exported the terrain geometry from Sketchup to 3DS and created a grayscale elevation map which I applied on UE4 Landscapes to get the elevation I needed.

Originally posted by hoanganh461 View Post
              Hi, Can you share how do you set foliage type to landscape materials ?

I've just followed this: https://docs.unrealengine.com/latest...art/index.html

Originally posted by melvixo View Post
              @rabellogp Hi, Are you using distance field occulsion from the skylight to get shadows cast between the leaves or cascaded shadows works just fine, seems this only works with movable skylight though. Also for the trees shader are you using the two sided foilage shading model with masked or translucent blend mode?
              1) I'm using Distance Field AO just for the rain light scenario. In that case, I've set the skylight to movable. For the other light scenarios I'm relying on default AO.
              2) Two sided foliage for everything but the billboards.
              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by rabellogp View Post
                Thank for your answer, I have following it before but when i create landscape grass type i can't set my grass mesh to Movable.
                Can you tell me how do you set your grass and foliage to Dynamic ?
                thank

Comment

THNKS for the insight !

Comment

It´s amazing work!! Congratulations. Superb

Comment

wow, that´s just stunning...

Comment

[MENTION=360]rabellogp[/MENTION] can you post grass shader!
                        and if u are not using DFAO or DFGI then are you baking the whole scene!

Comment

Hey man, incredible outdoor scene - you've achieved what many of us have, and still spend countless hours trying to reach.

If you could share any more info regarding the creation of this masterpiece, it would be hugely appreciated! For example what lightmass settings did you use? and what lightmass density? could you go through your grass mesh & shader setup? Please sell these assets or a tutorial!
                          www.artstation.com/kurtmitchell

Comment

Originally posted by Kogoshi View Post
                            Hey man, incredible outdoor scene - you've achieved what many of us have, and still spend countless hours trying to reach.

If you could share any more info regarding the creation of this masterpiece, it would be hugely appreciated! For example what lightmass settings did you use? and what lightmass density? could you go through your grass mesh & shader setup? Please sell these assets or a tutorial!
                            Thanks, man.

I'm planing to release tutorials about exteriors in UE4 for months... I haven't managed to finish anything yet cause I'm waaay overworked with other projects. But I'll get there [eventually ]. Selling assets on marketplace has lower priority in my list. I think that nice tutorials are the best way to contribute with the community.

About the lightmass settings... I couldn't care less about that on my exterior scenes. I mean 99% of my foliage is movable. Only the buildings and the asphalt are baked. I usually place a Lightmass Importance Volume around the main building in the scene, set lightmass quality to 3, scale to 0.7, 9 bounces and hit "Build Light" on medium or high settings. That's it.

The "secret" to get a good looking exterior with daylight setup is to find the balance between shadows and light. A rough rule is "the more contrast the better". AO has great importance when dealing with dynamic foliage as well. I usually plug a scalar parameter on AO input of my foliage master material. Then I tweak each material instance manually for each kind of tree/grass in the scene trying to achieve even shadow/light ratio. If you don't do that, some plants will probably look "brighter" than others under shadows.

If you use SpeedTree to create your foliage as I do, you can also bake AO into vertex color and use that to give more depth to dynamic foliage in UE4. Another great tip is to use that same AO baked into vertex color as a mask to reduce specular in the inner/denser parts of the trees. 0.5 (default) specular should be physically correct in UE4, but for some reason it won't look right on some dynamic foliage.

My default grass asset is a "3-materials" "plane-cluster" created in SpeedTree. The first material (~60% of the planes) is for the green grass. The second ( ~30%) is for dry grass. The third (10%) for miscellaneous stuff (broken twigs, herbs, clovers, etc). In UE4 I have a master material with a parameter (+ some nodes) plugged into World Position Offset so I can control grass height (same way Epic did in Kite Demo grass). The secret for grass is to add variation... You can be creative on that. Combine slight different grass assets in the Foliage Tool, use masks to slight change color of different regions, etc.

A last nice tip is to pay attention on your sky material brightness and overall foliage color. It's easy to get it brighter or darker than it should be without real references... Get some real pictures of similar landscapes of what you're trying to achieve and match sky/foliage brightness to that.

I hope those will help you somehow until I finish the tutorials. Good luck!

Comment

Alright. I shat. Beautiful work! Love it. Can you list the programs you used. Thank you.

never done a exterior scene for the lack of knowledge in how to get beautiful grass or tress.

Comment

His first post links to the various threads where he describes his techniques. Read them all - they're a goldmine.
                                Eliot Blenkarne
                                Visualiser
                                Warren and Mahoney Architects ltd

Comment

Working...
                                X