No announcement yet.

Allright Rig For Unreal Engine 4

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

aleks_allright Tbh, I'd probably not even bother.. People nowadays are weird, with their head in the clouds.. I pitched it to Discord crowd, no one cared. I guess I'll just get 3DS MAX license when I can afford it and use C.A.T.

P.S.

I don't understand how people can't see tremendous value in such tool
    Last edited by motorsep; 08-25-2018, 07:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by motorsep View Post
      aleks_allright Tbh, I'd probably not even bother.. People nowadays are weird, with their head in the clouds.. I pitched it to Discord crowd, no one cared. I guess I'll just get 3DS MAX license when I can afford it and use C.A.T.

P.S.

Let me try to explain you. I think because for animator it will be faster to make this animation by himself using keyframes. Generator will never fit all rigs. And you will always need to tweak all those properties. It is really faster, for animator with a good hand, to make animation that he needs by himself, instead of tweaking all those properties and get curves that you will also need to edit. And I am telling you that as animator with good expereance.

But I still agree that this idea is cool for prototyping or making previs and animatics, but not for high quality results.
      Regards,
      Alexander Shatalov

Tools Programmer
      Currently working on: Allright Rig (UE4 Plugin)

Comment

Originally posted by aleks_allright View Post

I think because for animator it will be faster to make this animation by himself using keyframes. Generator will never fit all rigs. And you will always need to tweak all those properties. It is really faster, for animator with a good hand, to make animation that he needs by himself, instead of tweaking all those properties and get curves that you will also need to edit. And I am telling you that as animator with good expereance.
        I took liberty in highlighting some of your wording.

I am an indie game developer who also does animations (on top of everything else solo indies do). I can tell you that it's not faster to animate using keyframes (when I started animating, I tried using bones, Biped and CAT and CAT won instantly). And then to iterate on top of that is not faster either because workflow is destructive by nature. I am a top notch animator (if I was, I'd be probably working on Fortnite ) and there are plenty of indies who aren't either. On top of that a lot of indies can't afford to hire great keyframe animators. Mocap isn't cheap either (and sure, some can afford mocap suit and are fit enough, and articulate enough, to do mocap themselves).

I have a decent hand and I do get anims done. It just takes a lot more time than I would like to spend, considering I have a day job and family. I am not a unique case here.

CAT fits needs of most rigs you will find in games. Bipedals, quadruples, flying, tentacles, etc. There is nothing on the market that will fit very specialized characters. That's why AAA movie / game houses spend a lot of cash on technical artists.

I guess I should have asked whether Allright rig is aimed at broad audience, including indies, or at enterprise. If former - parametric cycles tool would be the strongest selling point. If latter - then it's a different story.

Worth noting that CAT was made by a team of AAA animators because they thought it wasn't fast to animate destructively by hand and thus CAT was born. Saying otherwise is like saying "they didn't know any better, but I am a pro and I do".

Comment

I like the tool but I don't seem to find it in the market place!!!
          Raed Abbas
          IMDB
          FACEBOOK
          Circle Of Time the game
          Dynamic Shared Camera

Comment

Allright Rig Has Been Released On Unreal Engine Marketplace!

Click image for larger version  Name:	AllrightRigLogo1080.jpg Views:	1 Size:	202.8 KB ID:	1534336
            Regards,
            Alexander Shatalov

Tools Programmer
            Currently working on: Allright Rig (UE4 Plugin)

Comment

Originally posted by motorsep View Post
              Tbh, I'd probably not even bother.. People nowadays are weird, with their head in the clouds.. I pitched it to Discord crowd, no one cared. I guess I'll just get 3DS MAX license when I can afford it and use C.A.T.

P.S.

CAT was developed by Phil Taylor in Ra Productions in its first release. I was working with him at the time as a junior animator so I guess I was an early adopter.
              It was made during development of a TV series for Animal Planet where there was a lot of CG inserts of human mannequins.
              A lot of how it works was based on how you can apply Ease curves on animation tracks to switch them or adjust complex motion with one value.
              Later on, 3ds Max got native animation adjustment layers, which I guess are a bit like animation per-bone blends in UE4.
              The whole anim curve driven character template was only half the goal though, it was the quick and flexible rigging where you could make a centipede or a tiger from the same base that drove the project. Non-riggers (or non technical directors) could create their own rigs in a very short time, which I think was what made it a hit.
              CAT was initially a cheap commercial plugin and after a few years was sold to Softimage, because Phil went to work there. I went to Moscow and worked at a game studio that happened to be using CAT, so that was lucky for me.
              When Autodesk acquired Softimage, they integrated CAT to 3ds Max, but I don't think they did a great job. At that time Motion Builder was booming, so tools like retargeting and mocap import into 3ds Max didn't really get much traction, though CAT had some tools for it (they seemed a bit hairy to me).
              Phil went on to co-found and release Fabric engine, which made waves in node-based real-time tools development architecturing (some big film companies like The Mill still use it), and unsurprisingly it featured an online rigging utility Kraken, with muscle solvers (probably based on the lightweight muscle tools in the original CAT). I don't know why Fabric folded, just last year, but it seemed to many that it was too complex to get a broad adoption, and the parties involved moved on (Doyle to MPC, Taylor to https://visualive.io/)
              Fabric being demo'd by Phil: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m1YGE-gcw98
              There was even a 'Fabric-engine-into-UE4' pipeline, where you could do things like bring in Alembic data and point clouds (I dunno the details) without the limits that FBX skinned mesh workflow has.
              Anyway, all that aside, I think it's great there is a rig and animate solution similar to CAT inside of UE4 now.
              Last edited by tomofnz; 10-27-2018, 08:29 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by tomofnz View Post
                CAT was developed by Phil Taylor in Ra Productions in its first release. I was working with him at the time as a junior animator so I guess I was an early adopter.
                Anyway, all that aside, I think it's great there is a rig and animate solution similar to CAT inside of UE4 now.
                That's pretty cool, but Allright Rig is no CAT. Where is CATMotion like tools? Where are foot steps? Where is parametric animation tools?

Comment

Can I use AllrightRigBeta_1.3 to try Allright? Does it work with 4.17? Does it work with 4.20?
                  Last edited by theProfessor; 03-05-2019, 11:06 AM.

Comment

I did get ARB_1.3 to work with 4.17.

Comment

Greetings
                      any updates on the 4.20? we are stuck with the plug in at the moment
                      thanks

Comment

Working...
                      X