Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[BLENDER 2.4] Armature hierarchy issue

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    [BLENDER 2.4] Armature hierarchy issue

    Hello

    For some reason, when I try to make an animation for the default SK_Mannequin, blender likes to add a bone above the root. When I try and import to UE4 using the mannequin's skeleton, I get a "failed to merge bones" error.

    Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled.png
Views:	1
Size:	23.1 KB
ID:	1165538

    Anyone know a fix?

    #2
    Anyone? Noone ever answers my posts, no matter what site ;-;

    Comment


      #3
      quick edit: Got the armature correctly, and it imports without error. but THIS happens...:
      Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled.png
Views:	1
Size:	281.2 KB
ID:	1091769
      I tried using some of the import options, but it only resulted in making the character an unholy mass of an abomination (convert scene lol)

      Comment


        #4
        Originally posted by InebriatedSkunk View Post
        Anyone? Noone ever answers my posts, no matter what site ;-;
        That's because most people don't use 2.4 anymore and you should REALLY upgrade to 2.76. There was large number of changes since 2.4, you have higher quality animation addon (rigify), you can sculpt in in zbrush fashion, and there's node-based rendering engine that allows almost-realtime preview of PBR rendering. 2.76 supports fbx export.

        Originally posted by InebriatedSkunk View Post
        blender likes to add a bone above the root
        That's an object, not a bone. You could try renaming SK_Mannequin into "root", root into whatever is next in the animation hieararchy or you could try fixing the exporter so it works with UE4. Frankly, I'm surprised that there are still scripts that can export working content for UE4 from blender 2.4.

        Comment


          #5
          the helper/empty SK_Mannequin above the root bone need to be deleted, show all this in my blender -> ue4 video's
          UT40K:The Chosen - Warhammer 40,000 for UE4
          ut40kgeodav - UE4 Tutorials

          Comment


            #6
            Originally posted by Geodav View Post
            the helper/empty SK_Mannequin above the root bone need to be deleted, show all this in my blender -> ue4 video's
            Yea I got it to import fine. Armatures correct, but parts of the mesh are going every which way (second picture.) Any way to fix this?

            Comment


              #7
              i get the feeling you might have done something wrong when you imported the character into blender

              sorry looks like i missed putting this one into the playlist
              https://youtu.be/g8cWVnc5Xlc

              should help you out
              UT40K:The Chosen - Warhammer 40,000 for UE4
              ut40kgeodav - UE4 Tutorials

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by InebriatedSkunk View Post
                Yea I got it to import fine. Armatures correct, but parts of the mesh are going every which way (second picture.) Any way to fix this?
                This kind of exploding usually happens when inverse bone transforms for original pose are not correctly calculated (basically if mesh joints are where they're supposed to be, but mesh is not, that's the problem)

                Before exporting characters it is generally recommended to make sure that rotation and scaling transforms are applied (Ctrl+A) to the base mesh and to the armature itself. You could try that.

                Aside from that, you could try to upgrade to the latest version and see if that works. It is highly possible that your version of export plugin is buggy, because blender 2.4 is 10 years old (2.40 was released in 2005).
                Last edited by NegInfinity; 10-24-2015, 01:15 PM.

                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally posted by NegInfinity View Post
                  This kind of exploding usually happens when inverse bone transforms for original pose are not correctly calculated (basically if mesh joints are where they're supposed to be, but mesh is not, that's the problem)

                  Before exporting characters it is generally recommended to make sure that rotation and scaling transforms are applied (Ctrl+A) to the base mesh and to the armature itself. You could try that.

                  Aside from that, you could try to upgrade to the latest version and see if that works. It is highly possible that your version of export plugin is buggy, because blender 2.4 is 10 years old (2.40 was released in 2005).
                  lol didnt know it was that old

                  Ill try that, and if it dont work, ill try Geodavs solution

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Thank you all so much! Turns out i had to set the root to anim, set pelvis to anim scale, and the rest to skeleton, then retarget.

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X