Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

3DSMax Biped Rig for HeroTPP (Default Blue Man)...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thank you for your response Mr Obihb.

I think I was not clear enough on my question.

Okay, I can make the pelvis move on the Blue Man, though my question is related to something else, as ofcourse I won't be using anything related to Blue Man later.

What I am wondering is, when you create a fresh Catrig, it starts from Pelvis. It does not have an option for a bone that is linked to Pelvis and stays on 0,0,0 as a Root Bone. Is there any way to add a bone to CatRig and declare it as "Root Bone", so that I can move that new Root Bone and pelvis will follow it? =)
    Fighting Game Template: PROJECT: Unreal Fighter 2D

Comment

Just create your Catrig and animate it as normal. Then use the "Clip Manager" to transfer it to the Catrig created in this thread and you'll have the root all working fine 'n dandy
      KITATUS
      "Information shouldn't be behind a paywall, It should be free for all!"

Comment

That would only work for humanoids, I got things to work on such as animals, the main reason I chose Cat Rig for.

I would like to learn if there is a way that I can put root bone, instead of constantly using that specific blue man one he did. ^^

Comment

I created a test case for this and though you can do it, in Max you can't actually use the root to move the CAT rig around, not purely by linking it anyway. So what you can do is create a Dummy, or Point or whatever object, place it on 0,0,0 and then link the pelvis to that object. On export, that will then be the root of your skeleton hierarchy but while in Max, if you move the root, it won't affect the CAT rig.

So, that's not a huge problem because you want to affect the root by the pelvis anyway. Pretty much like I have the HeroTPP skeleton set up. So, you'd just have to set that up. It'll be fairly similar to what I did for the HeroTPP skeleton. I'll say that I did not do full animation / root motion tests, just a test to see if I can get a root bone out to UE4 via the CAT rig directly. And that test works, so my theory is that when animated correctly, root motion will also work.

EDIT:-

Just to show the successful import...

Click image for larger version

Name:	CATTest.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	86.9 KB
ID:	1065909
          Last edited by Obihb; 02-02-2015, 02:53 PM.
          Ninja Arcade - UE4 - Forum Thread -- Ninja Arcade - UE4 - Demo v0.02a

Comment

Mister Obihb I appreciate your time really.

But I hope you forgive me for asking if you can tell me step by step about linking a point to a bone so one can control each other.

I was not successful on doing it before, I most of the time broke CatRig while trying to connect a foreign object to it.

So I would be really greatful about the things you have done to achieve.

Thank you again.

Edit:

I only have little time so I could ask this. I managed to this;

Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	65.9 KB
ID:	1065914

So the dummy is linked to the pelvis. But no matter how much I move the pelvis, dummy doesn't move. And vice versa. Though real question is, would this matter? Will Dummy(Rootbone) move if I move the pelvis in animation?

Thanks once more. ^_^
            Last edited by Achilleon; 02-02-2015, 06:32 PM.

Comment

Ok, so I took a closer look at this problem. and I had to kind of come up with a bit of a round about way to make it work. When I looked at it last night, it was just real quick and the problem that prevented a simple setup is just that CAT doesn't like being linked to a dummy and also control that dummy. It creates a dependency error, where with normal dummies, it does actually work.

So, anyway, I made this video to explain the problem a bit and show a working setup.

I will say with all this though, it also makes it a bit clearer why it's better to keep your "game skeleton" separate from your animation rig. There will be other problems if you used twist bones and things like that. But it's always easier to have a separate rig just for this reason, where you create these dependency loops to try and make things work within one skeleton hierarchy.

But anyway, take a look at that video and see if it makes sense to you and if you have any questions, please post them here.

I did actually do a full export test based on this setup, doing animation with root motion and it all functions properly. The only problem I see is with exporting the CAT rig, it doesn't come out cleanly as "bones". So when you try import the animation file, it doesn't seem to recognize it as animation in UE4. I didn't do a whole lot of testing with regards to this, but you can get the animation imported, it just doesn't automatically see the correct format because CAT bones comes through as objects, not bones.

Comment

I just saw this thread top again, and I would like to let you know, that the biped hand controller is a bit off. I used it for first person iron sight logic (and the hand had to be perfectly rotated forward in world space) and it took me some time to figure this out.
                Not that this rig was intended for first person, but I still like to point that out.

Other than that, this rig is still da **** life saver.

Comment

Yeah, sorry, there's not much I can do. Biped is not really possible to "snap" to another rig. It's all hand aligned, so it "works" but it's not actually a 1:1 representation.

As long as you do your poses or weapon alignments based on the HeroTPP skeleton and only use Biped to actually affect the pose, then it should actually be ok. Because the skeleton will represent the in game pose, the biped drives it but ultimately the biped positioning may be slightly off. If that makes sense..

Though what you're talking about there is a kind of precision that I'd do another way anyway. Using a controller in Max to be able to force the thing dead straight, or whatever.
                  Last edited by Obihb; 02-03-2015, 10:17 AM.

Comment

Mr Obihb.

Thank you for your time once again about this. I searched around CatRig documantation and I have found something called "Motion Extraction Node". I fiddled with it's limitations abit and was able to make it behave like a Root Motion bone.

The only thing I get is a fbx warning in 3dsmax, but it does not effect anything in UE4. If you want I can give more information about it.

Regards.

Comment

Cool, I'm glad you got a working solution. If you want to post a link or just information here, please, feel free. I personally don't really use CAT, I just did this for people that might choose CAT in stead of Biped. I'm also still considering a custom rig, maybe some day when I have nothing better to do..

But, yeah, if you have useful information that you want to share here, please post it.

Comment

Originally posted by Obihb View Post
                        Cool, I'm glad you got a working solution. If you want to post a link or just information here, please, feel free. I personally don't really use CAT, I just did this for people that might choose CAT in stead of Biped. I'm also still considering a custom rig, maybe some day when I have nothing better to do..

But, yeah, if you have useful information that you want to share here, please post it.
                        Very well, I will show the "hack" once I get to home from work. ^_^

Comment

@ Obihb: Thanks for sharing; this will help me with some on-going scene tests.
                          I f you don't know just ask!...

Comment

That's a Funky dope maneuver man!! your a hero yourself.
                            Last edited by I Create Art!; 03-20-2015, 08:38 AM.

Skywalker "this is not going to go the way that you think" PORTFOLIO

Comment

Dear obihb
                              This has been quite a great help for those using Max characters with unreal root motion! Thank you.
                              The problem is that I am using Biped (as you do, I think). I tried to setup a root "bone" following the last video (Cat rig with RootBone for Root motion) but I could not succeed. Instead of the pelvis in Biped we would choose bip001 (Ok?). But the Controller dummy point (2) can not control Z position in the Bip001, which exposes only "Vertical; Horizontal; and Turning in the wiring setup procedure. Could you please help in this case? In fact if you could explian the whole process with biped, it would be extremely important... Thank you. José Mateus

Comment

Obihb You need to change your max units to centimeters and re save/export, your blueman is much larger than epic's. Otherwise really great share! <3
                                Youtube
                                Machine Learning C++ Plugin
                                Lindenmayer System C++ Plugin

Comment

Working...
                                X