Maya Live Link axis orientation problem

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Maya Live Link axis orientation problem

Hi, I'm trying to set up Livelink between maya 2017 and UE4.23 (Also tried UE4.22). The connection is established fine, but when I go to change the animation in Maya, the Mannequin skeleton falls flat into the ground - see the pictures below. The axis in Maya is set to Z-up and I have been working with the plugin before without any problems on an earlier version of UE4.

I'm using ARTv1 and the LiveLink plugin that ships with UE4.23.

Any ideas?

Click image for larger version

Name:	20191009-22_50_56Autodesk-Maya-2017.png
Views:	1
Size:	95.9 KB
ID:	1672472
    Click image for larger version

Name:	UE4Window.png
Views:	1
Size:	306.1 KB
ID:	1672473

Not sure on the specific case scenario, but out of curiosity, was the skeletal mesh for the mannequin imported along with live link process or was it the pre-existing mannequin?

Comment

Hi, the mannequin skeleton in Maya is from the default character in ARTv1. The skeleton in UE4 is the pre-existing one. Thanks

Comment

I have just done some tests in Maya 2017/2018 and the problem is all the same.

Comment

Okay, I think I found a dirty workaround. If I rotate the rig -90 degress on the x-axis and then change Maya up-axis to y-up it works.

Comment

Maya and UE4 has different coordinate systems. Epic assumes that you should use the Pre Processor and Translator options in the live link options in the editor to convert this offset... I created a patch that takes care of this on the Maya side so you don't have to apply offsets. Sadly the pull request to apply this patch has been ignored for months. If you want this feature you have to compile the plugin yourself.
            Programmer, Rigger, Animator - Demo Reel 2015 - My RnD / WIP thread - www.dennylindberg.com
            Worked on: Kitten'd - Guardians of Valor (Android, iOS)

Comment

Denny Thanks for the reply, that explains why this is happening. I tried to set the axis switch under pre processors but I cannot select it. I'll build UE4 from source (with your patch) if I cannot get it working any other way.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20191020-22_18_39.png Views:	1 Size:	15.5 KB ID:	1675813

Edit: Forgot to mention that I get a warning saying "LogLiveLinkSubjectSettings: Warning: Role 'LiveLinkAnimationRole' is not supported by pre processors 'LiveLinkAxisSwitchPreProcessor_10'" when selecting Axis Switch.
              Last edited by Darthlatte; 10-20-2019, 08:16 PM.

Comment

I don't think Axis Switch is what you want to do. (see its description) You might have to create a custom pre-processor or translator.
                Programmer, Rigger, Animator - Demo Reel 2015 - My RnD / WIP thread - www.dennylindberg.com

Comment

Denny The documentation says "One possible use case is the Axis Switch, that will switch any axis of an incoming transform with another axis.", so now I'm a bit confused - isn't that exactly what I want to fix my problem with the wrong axis? :-) I just don't understand why LiveLink worked for me in the past with earlier versions of UE4, but doesn't now...

When you say custom pre-processor or translator, do you mean in Blueprints (as a new class) or in code?

Thank you

Comment

Maybe I misunderstood the Axis Switch, but I presume from its description that it is swapping single axis values. Such as X becoming Y. (even though a proper switch of the basis, all three, would give a rotation in practice) I haven't tried implementing a custom processor myself, I think you have to look at the documentation for that.

Comment

Working...
                    X