Ignore specific child bones when using 'Layered Blend Per Bone'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ignore specific child bones when using 'Layered Blend Per Bone'

I want a 'bite' animation for this wolf to only be applied to the neck and head so it can be used while running, jumping and being idle.
    To achieve this I'm setting up a custom slot and using a 'Layered Blend Per Bone' node in the animation graph.
    The problem I have now is that I want to apply the animation to Neck and Head... but not to L-Clavicle and R-Clavicle which are children of Neck.

When inputting Neck as the Bone Name the legs also apply the animation which looks absolutely horrible.
    Is there a way to also set bones to specifically ignore which are children of the bones you want to apply your animation to ?

Thank you in advance.

Been a while since I tried this myself, but I think you can exclude specific children by adding them to the bone array and setting the Blend Depth to -1.

An alternative for a "bite" animation like this could be to just create an additive animation where only the head and neck are animated.

Comment

An additive animation does sound like a more suitable solution to this use case.
      UE4 Tutorials for 3rd person Blueprint project from scratch: Youtube Channel
      Use Blender 2.8 to make UE4 compatible animations: Blog

Comment

Thank both of you for offering help!

Originally posted by DsyD View Post
        Been a while since I tried this myself, but I think you can exclude specific children by adding them to the bone array and setting the Blend Depth to -1.

An alternative for a "bite" animation like this could be to just create an additive animation where only the head and neck are animated.
        I tried setting the Blend Depth on the bones I don't want to animate to -1, however this doesn't seem to do anything for me
        This would probably have been the quickest solution to the problem I'm facing right now.

Originally posted by Waves View Post
        An additive animation does sound like a more suitable solution to this use case.
        I might have misunderstood the usage of additive animations.
        So far I only used them for things such as adding an animation to the hands to constantly hold a gun up while aiming or things that are more permanent than a quick attack.

I tried using this for my bite animation, however I can't seem to understand how this would work.
        I think the problem is that within the bite animation itself the paws are also moving, therefore even when taking "idle" as the reference pose to base the additive off of, I can't simply ignore the leg movement and end up with the same problem as before.

How would you specify which bones are affected by an additive animation if you can't just get clean data by going off of the difference to a reference pose?

Comment

Would help if you could provided an example project.

The way the laying works is from the assigned bone forwards from parent to child so if you apply the layer to the neck then the animation will migrate into joints connected to the joint which will make it impossible to orientate the head into different directions. In the example with out the example file I'll have to assume that the head is included as part of the migration path so the wolf will only be able to bite in one direction and not say to the left and right.

Best practice wise the target bone should be the parent joint which once again I'll assume is the upper and lower jaw so you could add a new branch filter so that the additive animation can be applied to the same Layered blend per bone"s" so that only the mouth area will be effected.

Can bones be ignored?

Yes kind of.

In all cases there will be a final pose so the animation data applied to the pose is absolute as to the final pose even if the data is based on the base pose. In some cases you might want to included the animation from the base pose. To set up the example.

You have

Bone1
          Bone2
          Bone3

BaseAnim
          AdditiveAnim

You want the AdditiveAnim layered to Bone1 and Bone3 but for Bone2 you want it to use the animation from the BaseAnim

In your Layered blend per bone you would add two Branch Filters and slot 1 as Bone1 and slot 2 as Bone 3.

Then

Add Pin which will add a new Blend Pose 1 and in the Branch Layer you can layer in Bone2 drive by the animation from BaseAnim.

The resulting pose will be Bone1 and Bone3 containing the additive and Bone2 the BaseAnim which is in essence is ignoring whateve additive has applied.

Clarke's third law: Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
          Custom Map Maker Discord
          https://discord.gg/t48GHkA
          Urban Terror https://www.urbanterror.info/home/

Comment

Originally posted by FrankieV View Post
            Would help if you could provided an example project.

The way the laying works is from the assigned bone forwards from parent to child so if you apply the layer to the neck then the animation will migrate into joints connected to the joint which will make it impossible to orientate the head into different directions. In the example with out the example file I'll have to assume that the head is included as part of the migration path so the wolf will only be able to bite in one direction and not say to the left and right.
            Thank you for offering to look at my project.
            I read through your explanation, but I can't quite figure out how to implement it.

I made a small project which only holds the relevant animation and blueprints. I'd appreciate it if you'd take a look at it and it might make it easier to understand what I mean.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1TS...DKZGEv2md1qDho

I just set it up so that the wolf is using a blendspace between Idle and running.
            Then I set up an animation Montage with the bite animation which plays on the 'Neck' slot and is only applied to bones beneath it. (It's set to play on BP_Wolf when you press the left mouse button)
            This also includes R-Clavicle and L-Clavicle which I DON'T want to be affected by this.

The animation is basically a violent bite with the wolf moving his head and legs over to the site while clenching his jaw.
            I want to apply only the head and neck movement as an addition to my running or idle animation.

Comment

Here you go.

https://youtu.be/I4JKwVzyOiw

Don't know what you know or don't know so went a bit long in an effort to connect the dots.

Basically the character rigging is done wrong to allow the kind of result you are looking for
              Clarke's third law: Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
              Custom Map Maker Discord
              https://discord.gg/t48GHkA
              Urban Terror https://www.urbanterror.info/home/

Comment

Originally posted by FrankieV View Post
                Here you go.

https://youtu.be/I4JKwVzyOiw

Don't know what you know or don't know so went a bit long in an effort to connect the dots.

Basically the character rigging is done wrong to allow the kind of result you are looking for
                Thank you so much!
                I can't believe the amount of effort you put in to help a random stranger online, you're the man.

I'm currently working on the aggro system of my game and only skipped through the video. I'll watch it in it's entirety once I'm done with that part.

Also just realized you made that 'Targeting Paragon Animation To Epic Rig' which saved me a lot of time on my last project.

Comment

Working...
                X