Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the proper workflow to create characters with clothes and import them into UE4?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is the proper workflow to create characters with clothes and import them into UE4?

Hello everyone, I need some help since I'm unable to find proper resources about how I should model a character with clothes.
    As you can see from the attached image, I imported a naked character from Adobe Fuse CC in Blender, already textured and with a nice set of UVs, and after that I modeled a very simple cloth over it. Now, the main question is: how am I supposed to import it correctly in UE4? At the moment all the pieces of the mesh (body, hairs, eyes, cloth and a hat) are all separated objects, each one with UVs and textures. Now, I tried to import the character in UE4 without rigging it in order to experiment with the built-in clothing system, and I can see that it works fine for what I need. What I can't see is how am I supposed to import my characters, or better, how to set them up in Blender. To be more precise, I have no idea if I should merge everything in a single object, rig it, animate it and import it (with different materials, so I can select the various parts in the clothing tool) or if I should just import everything as a separated objects (as skeletal meshes I suppose, but this doesn't sound right..) and then treat clothes as clothes and the character as the character. I've been searching for videos and questions here on the forum but I couldn't find an appropriate answer nor an appropriate workflow. Any help would be greatly appreciated, have a lovely day!

I made a python script for Blender to do exactly all of that. Full disclosure its a paid tool. But have a look anyway I talk a bit about the workflow for clothed characters that are a single mesh at the end. But you can also follow the exact same steps to import shirts, pants, armor etc into the engine for composite characters with selectable clothing.

UE4 Tutorials for 3rd person Blueprint project from scratch: Youtube Channel
    Use Blender 2.8 to make UE4 compatible animations: Blog

Comment

Waves Thank you for taking the time to read my question, I will surely watch your video, since it looks like it contains all the explanations I needed. Again thank you for your time and kindness! Have a lovely day.

Comment

You might want to read up on modular character engine docs here

https://docs.unrealengine.com/en-us/...lar-Characters

UE4 Tutorials for 3rd person Blueprint project from scratch: Youtube Channel
        Use Blender 2.8 to make UE4 compatible animations: Blog

Comment

Working...
        X