Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can I be both a game dev and an animator?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can I be both a game dev and an animator?

I have dreams of making Movies series world a cartoon series, like the cartoons you see on TV or Netflix (not just animating, but having a part in the script and direction)

I’m also really passionate about game developing.

Can I do both?

You can do both? I don’t know, no one of us know the answer. Animation and game development require years of study, this is a question that you need to do to yourself, can you do both?

Comment

Nobody knows so don't let anyone talk to you like they do. It's your dream, not theirs. You either try and find out for yourself or not try and live with the regret.

Comment

I wanted to be both a game developer and comics creator (when I couldn't decide back then)...

After I got some job making small indie games for a tiny studio, I also had to learn how to model and anime 3d characters.
        Now I don't have time to draw anything anymore, so I am waiting for the day I don't have to work full-time coding 24/7 then relearn how to draw.

I hope you can manage to do both, in my particular case I failed to do it
        | Savior | USQLite | FSM | Object Pool | Sound Occlusion | Property Transfer | Magic Nodes | MORE |

Comment

Hi mate! Do you want know what im gonna to do ? I'll create one game alone and i dont have anything.I just want to do it and im on that work. Just believe in yourself.When you do and buildin its goin to amusing! You can do everything .

Comment

2c: Both are definitely possible... Loads of Indies on here prove this is true every day etc...
            But just be sure to check it doesn't spread you too thin and the gameplay / movie suffers...
            Last edited by ClavosTech; 12-22-2018, 11:20 PM.

Comment

Well animation is my thing and I kind of fell into game development as I was asked to help out on a project involving the development of a game and along the way I discovered that there is little difference between the stories you tell in the movies and the ones you tell in video games. More and more the line between the two is becoming thinner as a means of story telling as a media so defining what you do as to purpose being served has little to do with the skill you love to take part in as a form of expression or art.

The flip side as to differences.

By far the big difference between video game animation and traditional film is a better understanding of the technical requirements of a specification as to how your work needs to be configured to fit the purpose of intent over the artist ideals best served at companies like Pixar.
              Clarke's third law: Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
              Custom Map Maker Discord
              https://discord.gg/t48GHkA
              Urban Terror https://www.urbanterror.info/home/

Comment

I want to do the same
                Originally posted by Ashishgada View Post
                I have dreams of making Movies series world a cartoon series, like the cartoons you see on TV or Netflix (not just animating, but having a part in the script and direction)

Can I do both?
                I'm doing both...

Interactive Movies.
                HeadlessStudios.com - The RIANTH (Action Horror FPS) - Join Our Discord

Comment

You can do both, but one will usually suffer. Today's applicaitons are so huge that it takes years to master one. for a hobby project it's certainly possible to learn animation to a degree where it's acceptable.
                  If you want to make it a career you should know that the big corporations that have jobs in those fields are not looking for person with broad knowledge but with highly specialized knowledge in just one field. So if you want to make this a job, you should focus on one aspect and do it right.

Comment

Originally posted by Ashishgada View Post

Can I do both?
                    Of course! You can definitely do both. However, like many activities, you skill in the area will be based off of how much dedication you put into the activity. By focusing on learning one activity, you can progress a lot faster then trying to learn two activities at once. But yeah, you are free to be whatever you want to be. And, down the road, if you feel like you no longer want to pursue one of the areas you have chosen, you can just drop it and choose the other one to focus on.

Comment

Originally posted by OnceIWasABaby View Post

Of course! You can definitely do both. However, like many activities, you skill in the area will be based off of how much dedication you put into the activity. By focusing on learning one activity, you can progress a lot faster then trying to learn two activities at once diebestetest. But yeah, you are free to be whatever you want to be. And, down the road, if you feel like you no longer want to pursue one of the areas you have chosen, you can just drop it and choose the other one to focus on.
                      It's your dream, not theirs. You either try and find out for yourself or not try and live with the regret.
                      Last edited by Lamont4467654; 03-01-2019, 04:58 AM.

Comment

That's exactly what I'm doing.

I started making games as a kid with things like GameMaker and making pixel art in Paint.

Eventually I got a computer science masters and had my own lil 3D game engine. I was also learning 3DS Max.

Now I'm using Unreal Engine 4 and have gotten good with Maya, Zbrush, Quixel Suite, etc... It took many years of learning but it's not impossible.

I may be one of the few people I know who can code and do the art as well. I'd say I'm stronger in the areas of coding but animating and modeling are definitely a close second for me. My main day job is being a professional Software Engineer at one of those giant companies and I somehow am crazy enough to do all this game dev stuff on the side.
                        Last edited by illYay; 03-01-2019, 04:26 AM.

Comment

You can definitely do both and neither needs to suffer, in fact it may help you out to do both as you'll have an understanding of what needs to be done from both perspectives. The skills compliment each other. I'm a sound designer, programmer, artist, game developer, composer, and more!! Follow your dreams and reach for the sky!! Good luck!!
                          [FREE] Procedural Bridge Blueprint, [FREE] Spline Enabled Ivy BP

Comment

Working...
                          X