Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is there a documentation/tutorial for the 4.16 Built-in-cloth system?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi all,

i set cloth on tshirt, i have physics asset on skeleton but tshirt bad collide on bones, please help me here is screenshot

Click image for larger version

Name:	woman_tshirt.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	134.9 KB
ID:	1129422
    Attached Files

Comment

Clothing Tool Overview (in case you haven't seen it yet):
      https://docs.unrealengine.com/latest...iew/index.html

Comment

collision setup problem

Hey everyone!
        Right now I'm having many problems with setting proper collision with built-in solution. First image shows simulation when I start playing with bigger play rate than second image (0.5 vs 0.1). In second I change play rate scale to 0,5 during simulation and everything works fine. I don't know why this happens, but this problem makes me think about leaving cloth setup for now. Setting it in maya is even worse (capsule orientation problem, different output in engine than in maya, etc). Problems shown on images happen on my character with jacket and it's really hard to make it work properly. If anyone has some ideas or experience with clothes, I could use that help. I tried different clothing properties but none of this seem to work well in this case.

Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by matmow View Post
          think about leaving cloth setup for now
          I had no problems with collision in the new and old solvers, there is only one: cloth normally interacted with the capsules of the legs, but completely ignored the hand (fingers) contact.
          On a slow or passive animations like curtains in the wind, apex looks more or less decently. but if I run real animation of clothing on the character like for example walk or run, I get out those severe artifacts... that personally, I put aside attempts to use apex for such things.

I was particularly upset that the cloth greatly deformed on the boundary, where the maximum distance = 0. in the animation (simulation) this border is very noticeable. I tried to do a brush very smooth transition from zero to positive values (0 to 0.01cm to 0.05 to 0.1), but it doesn't work. The apex-solver believes that the cloth should be stretched like a rubber band. There's no smooth transition between the piece of clothing that follows the skeleton and one that is calculated by the cloth-solver. And the same problem in the old solver. I checked: did everything in max, imported the old-fashioned way (in UE 4.14), the result was exactly the same visually bad.

Comment

Originally posted by VikaBee View Post
            I was particularly upset that the cloth greatly deformed on the boundary, where the maximum distance = 0. in the animation (simulation) this border is very noticeable. I tried to do a brush very smooth transition from zero to positive values (0 to 0.01cm to 0.05 to 0.1), but it doesn't work. The apex-solver believes that the cloth should be stretched like a rubber band. There's no smooth transition between the piece of clothing that follows the skeleton and one that is calculated by the cloth-solver. And the same problem in the old solver. I checked: did everything in max, imported the old-fashioned way (in UE 4.14), the result was exactly the same visually bad.
            I remember having such problems in like ~UE4.6, but I don't have them anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by matmow View Post
              I remember having such problems in like ~UE4.6, but I don't have them anymore.
              you stopped using apex or found a solution to this problem?
              I can't figure out how to get rid of this border with a strong deformation and how to achieve a smooth transition.
              if you have advice - please share. many reading this topic would be grateful.
              because even in the cloth-example file, I see this problem:

Name:	c7dbee81226dbe598820e2e518a0c451.jpg
Size:	122.3 KB
ID:	1129925

Name:	2c30ff453f91cda395d1cae95a1b1653.jpg
Size:	137.8 KB
ID:	1129927

Comment

another good find vikabee.
                it underlines the problem.
                also i'd throw in, that also playing with all the values inside the cloth parameters won't help too much.
                i spend a few hours trying to find good values. however only raising the solver frequency to about 1000 gave the cloth a bit more integrity. but this doesn't feels right and might be a bigger performance hit? idk

Comment

Hi,

I have a issue like VikaBee's one : everything works fine, but I can't get the collisions of the right calf and foot working. The right capsules have the same settings than the left ones, but I can't figure out how to make the collision working properly :s

Name:	Legs.jpg
Size:	610.9 KB
ID:	1130106

Comment

Do we have a possibility to use Latch to Nearest functionality with new in build-in cloth solution?
                    MARKETPLACE
                    PERSONAL PORTFOLIO
                    <<<<Follow me on Twitter >>>>>

Comment

Hi there! Does anyone know whether there is a way to apply the same clothing asset across two different sections of a mesh? (Or some other way of having multiple sections act as one piece of cloth?)

I have a piece of clothing that contains more than one material. As I understand it, the clothing tool requires you to select one section of the mesh, create a clothing asset, apply the clothing asset to that section and then cloth-paint it. That obviously gives weird results if the item of clothing is made up of multiple sections/materials painted individually since they move away from each other etc.

Comment

Loving the new (experimental) NVCloth tools in 4.16!

I was previously using the "Bind Cloth to Master Pose Component" node to duplicate an apex-simulated cloth mesh onto two identical actors, but in 4.16 this no longer seems to work with NVCloth. Should I expect it to start working again around 4.17 or whenever NVCloth moves out of "experimental" status?

Comment

Originally posted by Breeze78 View Post
                          Hi there! Does anyone know whether there is a way to apply the same clothing asset across two different sections of a mesh? (Or some other way of having multiple sections act as one piece of cloth?)
                          You cannot currently drive multiple graphics sections with a single sim mesh, but this is something we are planning to add in the future.
                          Lead Programmer - UE4 Animation/Physics/Audio Team - Epic Games
                          Twitter: @EpicJamesG

Comment

Originally posted by 00ced00 View Post
                            Hi,

I have a issue like VikaBee's one : everything works fine, but I can't get the collisions of the right calf and foot working. The right capsules have the same settings than the left ones, but I can't figure out how to make the collision working properly :s
                            I was playing around with cloth simulation and had the same problem, I noticed eventually that the last few collision shapes i added to my physics asset didn't work with the cloth, so I copied my physics asset removed all bones that weren't relevant for cloth simulation and used that one to create the cloth (still using the other one for everything else) and now it works.
                            I guess there is a limit as to how many collision shapes the system does handle and it doesn't try to find the most relevant ones or warn that you are using too many.

Comment

Hello, i got a question. How can i remove vertex paint assets?

Name:	vertex.PNG
Size:	15.0 KB
ID:	1130523

Comment

Originally posted by JamesG View Post
                                You cannot currently drive multiple graphics sections with a single sim mesh, but this is something we are planning to add in the future.
                                Thanks JamesG. For anyone else wanting to do this, the workaround I have found is to set up a layered material covering everything you want to be part of the simulation. You can then apply the clothing asset to the layered material and just map the different "sub-materials" using UVs.

Comment

Working...
                                X