Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Moving actors along splines using Sequencer - how ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Moving actors along splines using Sequencer - how ?

I was told that the more efficient way to move actors along splines is with Sequencer and not via BP code. Google-sensei is not cooperating (or there are indeed no tutorials / docs about it).

How would I move an actor along spline using Sequencer ? (on timer or on trigger; with variable speed if needed be; etc.)

In what cases using BP is preferable ?

Thanks

Anyone?

Comment

looking into similar I need to move an animated mesh along a spline using blendspaces here but i think we are at the bit where google starts to wear thin

Comment

You should be able to use the spline actor with a path track. Add the object you want to place along the spline actor to sequencer. Click on the +Track for that object and choose the spline actor from the Path submenu. Once you do that, it should automatically create a float track for the Timing Curve. Set keys to indicate 0 - start of the spline, 1 - end of the spline.

Comment

Originally posted by Max.Chen View Post
          You should be able to use the spline actor with a path track. Add the object you want to place along the spline actor to sequencer. Click on the +Track for that object and choose the spline actor from the Path submenu. Once you do that, it should automatically create a float track for the Timing Curve. Set keys to indicate 0 - start of the spline, 1 - end of the spline.
          Took a while to find what you were describing (never would have found it without this topic), but I have an issue with it:

In the sequencer, scrubbing along the path track seems to place the object with Y-forward, but if you get transform at a time using a blueprint, it places the object (correctly) with X-forward.

Anyone have any idea how to fix this?

In general, I'd like to know how to add relative rotation to an object in a sequencer on a path track... if I add a transform track with rotation, it just locks the rotation in place.
          Last edited by roberteker; 02-07-2019, 09:02 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by roberteker View Post

Took a while to find what you were describing (never would have found it without this topic), but I have an issue with it:

In the sequencer, scrubbing along the path track seems to place the object with Y-forward, but if you get transform at a time using a blueprint, it places the object (correctly) with X-forward.

Anyone have any idea how to fix this?

In general, I'd like to know how to add relative rotation to an object in a sequencer on a path track... if I add a transform track with rotation, it just locks the rotation in place.
            I am having the same issue with the actor being locked in a direction once a transform is added. I have been having a hard time finding a way to fix this. I have posted a question here

Comment

Originally posted by McPhearson View Post

I am having the same issue with the actor being locked in a direction once a transform is added. I have been having a hard time finding a way to fix this. I have posted a question here
              I ended up doing what you do in 3D software in general, which is to add a dummy object as a pivot point and parent it to what you want to move along the track. Then whenever you want to add a relative rotation, you just do it to the child, and the spline will still affect the rotation on the parent.

This will also serve as a work-around for the Y-forward vs X-forward bug.

Comment

I was having the same issue today. In my case I had a blueprint actor that I wanted to animate along a spline and have it into the sequencer. I managed to fix the wrong rotation by adding an arrow component (or a Child actor could be used as well) as my root for my blueprint (the one that will get the animation path) and make it a parent for my static mesh. Then rotate the static mesh 90 degrees. Now the static mesh has the rotation needed to follow the path fine
                Last edited by LeftBlue14; 06-17-2019, 05:37 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X