Android OS Version (API Level) ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    Default Android Manifest at "Engine\Build\Android\Java\AndroidManifest.xml" uses API level (minSdkVersion) 9 (Android 2.3.x). And requires OpenGL ES 2.0 support, of course.
    Last edited by Antonz; 03-22-2014, 09:11 AM.

Leave a comment:

• started a topic Android OS Version (API Level) ?

Android OS Version (API Level) ?

Results @ 10.04.2014 :

Q: What minimal Android version / API Level is supported ?
    A: we've been doing testing with recent APIs like 14/19, but our minimum is still 9, although I'll admit we aren't testing compiling with api-9 NDK, etc.
    I will definitely try to get QA testing on crusty old OS versions, along with crusty old devices // Josh Adams (Official answer)
    A (10.04.2014): I actually got an info that it's api 9, although the default is 19. // Cube2222

Q: What minimum Hardware required ?
    A: No one (even Epic) knows at the moment.
    Here is device compatibility page on wiki, where anyone can post results of their subjective tests.
    According to this discussion, the only way for us to know which devices is really can run UE4-based applications, is to test by ourselves. No benchmark present at the moment and no data collected.

Officially supported devices are:
    Nexus 5 (Qualcomm Adreno 330)
    Kindle Fire HDX (Qualcomm Adreno 330)
    Samsung Galaxy S4 SGH-I337 (Qualcomm Adreno 320)

Q: Any optimization recommendations for low-tier devices?
    A: Niklas.Smedberg said (Official answer):
    Originally posted by Niklas.Smedberg View Post
    The main difference between UE3 and UE4 is that we're using linear fp16 colors now and not gamma-space 8888 colors. Otherwise they should be pretty similar, for simple games that don't use any post-processing.

There are three ways of doing it in UE4, all with their own performance and compatibility implications. The preferred (and fastest) is to use HDR fp16 render targets, if the device supports that. The second way is to use LDR 8888 render targets with mosaic encoding to contain HDR colors. The third way is to use LDR 8888 render targets with gamma-space colors. Then each shader will do sRGB conversion on read and write instead - manually with ALU instructions (^2 and sort).

Original post:

Hello everyone!

I think i read every single thread/page about Android development but still cant understand what is minimal OS support (API level) here.
    It is just me or this information really not present anywhere on docs/forums/hub/wiki? Pretty strange, because it is may be very first question what mobile developer asked, since 2.2 - 2.3.7 versions still covering 20% of market (at March 3, 2014).

I have few weeks to decide what engine/framework to use for my next project, which is mobile client what must be connected to dedicated server via tcp-ip (server is stand alone c++ application, not based on UE4) and perform some cpu-intensive simulations based on recieving data + simple unlit 2D visualization. I planned to take a closer look on marmalade framework, but now when UE4 is available i decided to check it first.

Summary:
    UE4 is a right choise for 2d sprite only (0 models, 0 lights, 0 post, 0 physics/collision, up to 50 actors with animated sprites + static textured background) applications if we talking about shipping on low-tier 2.2~2.3 devices?
    Resulting APK-file size is ok for this?
    How much on-device RAM needed to run bare-bones UE4 mobile app?
    Has it out-of-box tcp-ip support for mobile apps?
    Last edited by Mao; 04-09-2014, 11:52 PM. Reason: updated discussion results
Working...
X