Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Native Android Mediaplayer on Galaxy Note 4

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    #16
    devel.bmad,

    I haven't had any issues playing mp4's with or without GearVR in my testing for 4.11 with the performance improvements. I looked at your material setup; I usually have the texture connected to both base color and emissive and set shading model to unlit.

    Comment


      #17
      Hi Chris,

      I am using 4.11 preview 4 and seeing similar performance degradation when playing back a 1024x1024 h.264 mp4 encoded video with bit rates variable between 5 and 7 mbs on my Note 4. Any suggestions on what I might due to improve the playback performance. When the video ends, fps goes from 15-20 to 60fps

      Thanks,
      Ben

      Comment


        #18
        Hi Terr3432,

        I've been playing 1920x1080 h.264 mp4's at 60fps on Note4 with Adreno. Which model do you have?

        Comment


          #19
          Originally posted by Chris Babcock View Post
          Hi Terr3432,

          I've been playing 1920x1080 h.264 mp4's at 60fps on Note4 with Adreno. Which model do you have?
          Hi Chris, what is the maximum resolution you were able to use on a note4 / gearvr and with which frame rate?

          Comment


            #20
            I looked into the low performance and discovered my optimizes were dropped out of the 4.11 branch by mistake during an integration. I've added them back in along with my fixes for SetRate. You can find these in this GitHub commit: https://github.com/EpicGames/UnrealE...12d5a116c88fe8

            Comment


              #21
              Originally posted by Chris Babcock View Post
              I looked into the low performance and discovered my optimizes were dropped out of the 4.11 branch by mistake during an integration. I've added them back in along with my fixes for SetRate. You can find these in this GitHub commit: https://github.com/EpicGames/UnrealE...12d5a116c88fe8
              Ok, thank you Chris. Which is the maximum resolution we may expect to be able to play now?

              Comment


                #22
                I tried a 4K video and it worked fine, but you will need to do some testing as the bitrate of the video may make a difference.

                Comment


                  #23
                  Great! You guys rock :-) Will test it soon

                  Comment


                    #24
                    Nice work I'll test it too.

                    You see where I work we are doing interactive 360° VR and non-VR documentaries and experiences. So I was wondering if one day we could use Unreal Engine for it, because personnally I prefer Unreal to Unity.

                    Like if we could do something like this: http://www.wondavr.com/

                    Comment


                      #25
                      Originally posted by Chris Babcock View Post
                      I tried a 4K video and it worked fine, but you will need to do some testing as the bitrate of the video may make a difference.
                      Hi Chris, tried a streamed 360 4k video on android / gear VR on 4.15 and the frame rate was good, but the overall resolution seemed much lower than the same video on a Rift. Is it possible that the texture resolution on android is limiting the real size the video is displayed? Are 4096x4096 texture available on android?
                      Last edited by xN31; 03-23-2017, 04:57 PM.

                      Comment


                        #26
                        Make sure you enable high-precision in the material for mobile; without it the interpolated UVs will not have enough precision to use the full texture range and it will look lower res.

                        Comment


                          #27
                          Originally posted by Chris Babcock View Post
                          Make sure you enable high-precision in the material for mobile; without it the interpolated UVs will not have enough precision to use the full texture range and it will look lower res.
                          Thanks Chris, I tested switching alternatively the two materials (with and without full precision) but I can't see a significant improvement. Is it possible that the texture resolution gets clipped to 2048x2048 on android?
                          Also, the video exhibits a lot of aliasing, even though I have enabled MSAA 4x (not sure if this is supposed to work also with textures or just with edges, though).
                          Is there anything else I can try?

                          Comment

                          Working...
                          X