Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UE4 tablet performance seems awful, what am I doing wrong?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ChrisTm View Post
    In the Top Corner Left viewport (Viewport Option > Show FPS) or CTRL + SHIFT + H

or

Edit > Editor Preference > Miscellaneous > Show Frame Rate And Memory (show FPS & Memory usage in Top Right Toolbar)
    Thanks, testing! i have a question, What mean the milliseconds below the FPS?

Click image for larger version

Name:	Duda.png
Views:	1
Size:	530.5 KB
ID:	1060423

Originally posted by minderaser View Post
    If you want to show the FPS on a device, the easiest way I've found is to edit the level blueprint, add a Begin Play node, and attach a Console Command "stat fps".

pedro_clericuzzi
    I've found the performance of static lighting greatly depends on the type of light... point is much slower than directional, for instance. Also I'm sure because most of your objects do not have lightmaps greatly increases performance. It is certainly interesting to think about designing levels where many objects do not need lightmaps to look decent.
    It´s true, this is the way. Thanks!

Click image for larger version

Name:	FPS.png
Views:	1
Size:	140.2 KB
ID:	1060424
    Last edited by CanguroCode; 10-30-2014, 08:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by CanguroCode View Post
      Thanks, testing! i have a question, What mean the milliseconds below the FPS?
      That is how many milliseconds it takes to draw 1 frame. There are 1000 milliseconds in a second. In your case you have ~32ms per frame. If you divide 1000 by 32, you will get your frames per second (~31).

Comment

Originally posted by minderaser View Post
        If you want to show the FPS on a device, the easiest way I've found is to edit the level blueprint, add a Begin Play node, and attach a Console Command "stat fps".

pedro_clericuzzi
        I've found the performance of static lighting greatly depends on the type of light... point is much slower than directional, for instance. Also I'm sure because most of your objects do not have lightmaps greatly increases performance. It is certainly interesting to think about designing levels where many objects do not need lightmaps to look decent.
        I've only used directional lights so far, so that might explain it. However, static point lights shouldn't have any additional cost. I just tested on my scene and when set to static and after building the lighting, the point light does not seem to affect movable objects directly.

You may be right about the non-lightmapped materials for "props". The lightmapped materials have less ALU operations, but have one extra sampler and also won't batch as nicely due to each object getting a different lightmap. So it might be worth looking into saving lightmaps only for large structures and keep smaller props as vegetation/movables.

Comment

If you want more info about where your bottlenecks are in addition to the STATS FPS command use the STATS UNITS command. This one will give you the time for your game/render/draw threads and GPU time.
          Sr. Engine Programmer @ www.playspace.com - moritzwundke.com
          Remember: be polite and respect other peoples opinions - Join the Unofficial Unreal Discord Channel - Found a bug? Then use the Bug Report Form to get it fixed ^^

Comment

Originally posted by BrUnO XaVIeR View Post
            And this is why I hate/left mobile development. It feels like 2001 all over again :v
            But if you come back to mobile, you can have great game ready in 2020 when tablets have power of 2010s PCs, and "Doom the flashlight simulator" will be possible.
            Btw. very bad performance on my old samsung tablet made me thinking about getting new nvidia shield one. Developing serious game takes about 2 years, and in 2 years even mid range devices will have such power.
            Last edited by Nawrot; 11-11-2014, 10:02 AM.

Comment

Working...
            X