No announcement yet.

Amityville '76 - Horror / Exploration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Been a while since I updated but finally had a chance to get back to work on the project and got a couple of rooms progressing.
    The screenshots below are of the third floor bedroom / bathroom,had to source images for re-creating these areas of the house and since they were less photographed than other areas work out how they looked.
    They need an extra pass of detail work,a couple of fixes and then filling with smaller items but are very close to how the house looked during the time period (including funky wallpapers).

Comment

So many little props and changes to make so keep myself amused with making the occasional .gif. An earlier version of the game idea had the ability to place cameras which is partly where this shot was from (and paranormal activity).

Comment

Another little .gif experiment,been updating to Unreal 4.17 this week and experimenting with it a little as well as looking for new references for anything I've missed when modelling the house.
        Spent a ton of time tracking down items from the real house so they can be added and constantly making minor changes to the house model itself.

Last edited by vagrantart; 08-15-2017, 12:15 PM.

Comment

Getting better and better all the time . Love it.

Comment

Originally posted by Sir Camel View Post
            Getting better and better all the time . Love it.
            Thanks very much.

Still wish I was further on in progress,recreating the house is still consuming so much time and there's been a mix of new photos and rarely seen photos from the 70's appear online so keep having to update my model.
            Latest progress is all on smaller details,props and adjustments (window sash updates,improved doors,small props,new kitchen cabinets). Lot of little jobs but doesn't look like a huge jump in progress although it is making the house feel more 'right'/real when in-game.

Comment

Hey vagrantart, really like your concept here. I tend to enjoy games like Gone Home that are mainly about exploration and atmosphere but still have a bit of creepiness. There's something about that feeling of being all alone at night in a mundane place - suddenly the familiar and comforting becomes eerie due to the isolation factor. I've wanted to see games in that style go for a stronger, more overt horror element, while still remaining somewhat grounded in reality, so I'm glad to see your project going for something like that. Props for basing it on a real-life location and story too, that's pretty unique.

The house interior is looking real convincing, it's clear you've done a lot of meticulous work on it. And I especially like the outdoor thunderstorm FX (from your post on 10-08-2016) and the static-y VHS images (e.g. your post from 08-09-2017). These are looking really professional and seem to capture the right tense, foreboding-yet-nostalgic atmosphere.

For an example of another game that does the "creepy suburbia"/"Gone Home gone wrong" approach very well, I'd recommend checking out Kitty Horrorshow's ANATOMY: https://kittyhorrorshow.itch.io/anatomy

Keep up the good work!

Comment

Thanks for the feedback. I checked out Anatomy,had actually seen a playthrough of it a while back and it does do atmosphere very well even with the basic environments. Part of my game will be the telling of the real story of the Amityville murders (and haunting) but less in a tape collecting type mechanic. I was looking into alter the house between time periods (1974 - 1976 and maybe even earlier) but keeping that in check at the moment since I've not finished the first iteration of the house let alone another.

Comment

The level of detail and fine tuning is insane man. I have no crits at all. Are all your lights Dynamic? Just amazing man. Keep up the amazing work
                  Demented owner and founder of NeoSpawn Games
                  Current Project: Project Yami (place holder title) Next-Gen Fighter using UE4
                  FanPage: www.facebook.com/NeoSpawnGames
                  Official(under construction): www.neospawngames.net
                  Personal FB: http://www.facebook.com/Keiyentai
                  LinkedIn Profile: http://www.linkedin.com/in/Keiyentai

Comment

Thanks,Yes all the lights are dynamic or stationary,I would love to have baked the whole map but everything's interactive including the lights. I'm still thinking a baked version would be nice for a crime scene mode also.
                    Currently the lights are the biggest frame-rate killer (especially since the house is so tightly spaced) but I've tested setting up a a sort of custom culling I that should help with frame-rates.

Comment

That still looks absolutely stunning man. Awesome work and love the lighting detail. It's amazing.

Comment

Some more recent stuff,adding functional items like t.v and fireplace (made a little 70's sign off video poltergeist style for the t.v) and working on the basement room. Will eventually add decals and more wear and tear to floors and walls since this area actually had some grime to it.
                        Lot of modelling for fridges/washer/dryers plus they can be interacted with. I've also been looking at enhancing the 70's look,experimenting with adding some chromatic aberration other post fx but not sure how far to push it (don't want the static look like in .gifs).

Last edited by vagrantart; 09-03-2017, 03:58 PM.

Comment

I am amazed at the level of detail you are able to pull off man. It's incredible.

Comment

Found some time to get back to working on the project and develop a couple of areas of the environment. The garage and boathouse are near the start point of the game so worked more into those areas and playing with lighting a lot more.

The visual/ post process style is going to be a sort of 70's news camera look,been experimenting with that a lot since the concept is that it will adjust throughout the game and I don't want it to be too overboard when playing.

Couple of screenshots showing the garage and under the stairs in the basement,this became known as the 'Red Room' (or the passage to hell if you saw the movie!) - in reality it was only a tiny space.

​​​​​​​

Comment

Great Update Buddy, Loving the look.

Comment

Added some screenshots from the last week's progress. I've been working on dressing the basement laundry and finishing the living-room with a few big props and some clutter,updating some materials and adding to other rooms as I go. Currently working on a motorboat model to add to the boathouse and finish up that area.

Comment

Working...
                                X