No announcement yet.

Epitasis - Colorful Exploration and Puzzle Game

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've been fairly busy this weekend working on a menu. I've been trying to get the game ready for some early testers to get an idea of performance on multiple machines, so my main goal was to get a persistent graphics menu and a developer menu that all saved.
    The developer menu was so that enabling certain statistics was easier for testers and could help get an idea of FPS in certain areas. I didnt spend as much time in this category as the others, but as the need for certain developer settings arise I can easily add them in to help out testers.

Overall I made a few widgets and a save graphics file and appropriate functions. Now that all the base code is set up, adding in new settings in will be a breeze. I did some other things as well, like added stepping features into the sliders which makes it a bit nicer when you want to limit the amount of options and don't want a ton of buttons in the players face.

All of these same widgets can also be used inside the main menu, which I'll be doing quite soon as well for the game.

I uploaded a quick video for you guys so you can check it out:

Nothing super exciting, but taking time for the little things like this is enjoyable and feels rewarding, as the game feels more and more polished. Still need to add sounds and other small details to it
    lucasgovatos.net | Twitter | Epitasis - A Colorful Exploration Puzzle Game

Comment

Hey everyone - haven't had a chance to post much, mostly because the systems I'm currently working on are a bit boring. I've mostly been creating some new main menu systems using sequencer (which is awesome), save-load systems, a music manager, and a demo. I'm trying to get the demo completed this week for a small event, but not sure if thats going to be possible to do the necessary amount of work that needs to be completed before then.

I recently however made a blog, and transferred over my two breakdowns I've posted so far here on there: http://lucasgovatos.blogspot.com/

I'm currently writing up a new breakdown, this time for a music manager blueprint. The blueprint is a actor class that's spawned into the level using easy to access commands/macros, and certain "music" actors. Essentially the base manager class allows the user to enter in a series of in's, loops, out's, alt loops, transitions, etc and use commands to play everything accordingly. I started out creating this because even when using some of the built in UE4 tools, I found I simply couldn't get the results I wanted. I'll have a blog post detailing this entire system quite soon, as its something that I think most people should have in their games for easy to use music management. Along with that, I've been working along side composer Andrzej Ojczenasz, who's been creating some phenomenal orchestral/electronic ambient work so far for the game. I'll have to give a small preview to go with it

Cheers!

Comment

I love how the foam of the water shader matches the shore dynamically.

Comment

Originally posted by Pinotti View Post
          I love how the foam of the water shader matches the shore dynamically.
          Thanks! This is done with depth fade. You can also control how large the foam gets. It works well, but some parts the illusion can break at certain angles (mostly when you look down from a top down view).

Comment

I did a blog post on the music management in Epitasis using blueprints and macros. You can check it out here: http://lucasgovatos.blogspot.com/201...d-to-have.html

Other than that, I've been hard at work on a demo level for the project. I hope it to be something representation of a level from the actual game (and it'll probably be included in some way anyway).

Hoping to get some good playtesting in with this demo quite soon as it's just about completed. Wooh!

Comment

I'm totally stunned by the portal effekt Tried to archive the same thing for a long time, gave up on it, then retried and failed again. Just tried to rebuild it based on your breakdown but didn't got it to work . I would be glad if you could share some more insight or even a little demo project featuring it :3

About your project: It just looks gorgeous! Brilliant idea btw! Keep it up!

Comment

Originally posted by Eternal Black View Post
                I'm totally stunned by the portal effekt Tried to archive the same thing for a long time, gave up on it, then retried and failed again. Just tried to rebuild it based on your breakdown but didn't got it to work . I would be glad if you could share some more insight or even a little demo project featuring it :3

About your project: It just looks gorgeous! Brilliant idea btw! Keep it up!
                Hey, perhaps when I have some more free time this week I'll see about uploading an example for you

I'm slowly finishing up the demo level and also starting on some new areas of the main game. Once the demo is out of the way and some other things have been polished up, should go much faster in terms of level design and seeing more stuff in the game. Its a fun project to work on but requires a creative mindset and time to keep coming up with new puzzles using the elements the game provide

Comment

I've been super busy lately (working on this, school, work), but I wrote a small blog post on working on the demo for Epitasis. Check it out here!

I learned quite a lot while making it, and most importantly I feel like I have a better understanding of what my game truly is and what is has become. Things have really started to come together, which is quite awesome to see. In addition, the blog post has a bunch of new screenshots in it, so go check it out!

Comment

This is looking great, dude! Keep it up!
                    Good War Games.
                    Twitter: @goodwargames
                    Facebook: www.facebook.com/goodwargames
                    Unreal Engine WIP: Hyper:BAE
                    Unreal Engine WIP: Wasabi Horizon

Comment

Originally posted by Pedwar2 View Post
                      This is looking great, dude! Keep it up!
                      Thanks man!

Comment

I'm so thrilled with the progress :3 Besides, anything new with the example?

Comment

Hey all, I've started live streaming development of Epitasis on Twitch. Feel free to stop by and say hi over there and give me a follow to help support the project. I'll be working on puzzles, programming, and tons of other content while streaming.

For example today we worked on debugging some usable actor features and created a simple little puzzle island that ties in with one of the main levels in the game:

Originally posted by Eternal Black View Post
                          I'm so thrilled with the progress :3 Besides, anything new with the example?
                          Hey, I'll try to get this to you soon. Totally slipped my mind. Feel free to add me on skype if you wanna nag me about it - lucas.govatos
                          Last edited by Higuy8000; 10-29-2016, 10:51 PM.

Comment

Hey friends! Past couple months have been pretty crazy, but I've managed to create a new teaser trailer and website for Epitasis. Check it out and let me know what you think!

Comment

Hi, Higuy, regarding your portal; does it suffer from the one frame lag when rendering the other side of portal onto the surface?

Comment

Originally posted by Afro viking View Post
                                Hi, Higuy, regarding your portal; does it suffer from the one frame lag when rendering the other side of portal onto the surface?
                                I believe it just renders the side thats currently showing.

I should mention, at least in 4.12.5 (current version I'm on still), using the scene capture nodes can be very taxing on performance. I believe its been improved to some degree in later versions, and I'll have to upgrade at some point soon to try it out.

Comment

Working...
                                X