Denny's Research and Development

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    redbox, TheOneWolf, Malheiro: Thank you for stopping by.

In regards to this thread, sorry for the lack of updates. I have been busy with my day job and freelance in my free time. Downtime is important so I'm using the few hours I have left to just relax.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Hi Denny,
    I was looking for a solution to use easing in my blueprints. Your library solved my problems.
    Thank you!

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Very nice man, this will help my melee project alot :-)

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Hey, nice work! Thank you!

Leave a comment:

• replied
    President, Raikoh: Enjoy!

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Nice, this is handy, thx!

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Very, very, Awesome...thanks for sharing...

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Blueprint Easing Function Library

I could not resist spending a few hours implementing an easing library. I think I used pretty much every easing resource available on the web for reference. I don't take credit for the math, only the implementation.

The functions use an input Alpha value, expecting a value between 0.0-1.0. Output is a value that starts/end at 0.0/1.0 with some overdrive as seen in the video. The only exception are the elastic functions which also has a parameter for frequency.

The function library can be downloaded below for UE4 4.3.0. Instructions can be found inside the ReadMe file.
    http://dennylindberg.com/downloads/u...ionLibrary.zip
    Last edited by Denny; 07-16-2014, 11:50 PM.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Thank you n00854180t. I definitely want to do some game with melee in the future, but it is not on the road map right now. A sword just happened to be the easiest prop to model and pose with.

I've worked with PhAT before in UE3 and doing what you suggest may not be as reliable as using easing functions. I think the biggest problem would appear when you want to use physics for other behaviors on the character and it is already occupied by the tweening process. It is a good suggestion though, I have yet to dabble with PhAT in UE4 and I think there are some tricks worth trying out, like blending dying to ragdoll.

Thank you for dropping by.
    Last edited by Denny; 07-16-2014, 08:25 AM.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Awesome work Denny!

I get the feeling you're perhaps planning on a project with melee combat down the road?

Anyhow, looks really good. I especially like the Overgrowth style animation blend, that's very cool.

One thing I think you could do to make it pop more and to get around the lack of blending past 100% natively is to blend in physics weight using the same bouncy easing (maybe make it so it drives past 100% and the more it's past there, the more physics weight). That would require setting up a PhAT asset for the character and tuning it to look good though. It's not too bad (there are tutorials) and I'm sure being an animator helps with that hehe.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Easing functions in Blueprint

In relation to the previous post, I wanted to see how much work there is to implement a generic easing function. Referencing this article I recreated the easeOutElastic effect. Pretty painless to be honest. I'm probably going to recreate a set of easing functions, unless Epic decides to implement one for us.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Blending/Overdriving poses using timeline curves (Overgrowth Style)

After seeing the GDC talk by David Rosen a while back, I tried to recreate the way he blends between poses using bouncy easing curves. He overdrivies the pose value, greater than 1 (100%), to add extra bounce. From what I have seen, it is not possible to blend a pose past 100% in UE4 out of the box. I have not looked into the source code of UE4, which makes me uncertain, but I think UE4 uses Quaternions to blend between poses. Which may be the reason it can not overdrive. I bet the overdrive needs to happen directly on the euler rotation values.

I messed with this a little bit a week back, but put it down. After seeing a few threads popping up about this subject on the forums, like this one, I could not resist jumping in and try to implement it properly again. While it looks messy, I think it should be cheap enough to implement as there is mostly additive data being calculated.

Last edited by Denny; 07-15-2014, 08:27 PM.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Getting gameplay data from web server

There are currently two plugins available for doing JSON queries. (JSON Query and VaRest) That is, get JSON data from a web server. I used Stefander's plugin to get a basic value and apply it to gameplay.

For this test I decided to just give my character a funky hat based on a number, which I get from a locally hosted PHP server. Pretty fun to be honest.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Previewing movement in third person camera

Small update. I wanted to see how my character looks like in a third person camera. So I modified the existing TPP example and modified the camera. I also added a normalization function to the movement vector so the character doesn't speed up when running diagonally. It is looking better than I expected.

This is probably the last update for this week. I will hopefully have new stuff to show next weekend.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Testing Blueprint Interfaces for interaction

So today I got curious about how to best approach generic interaction in a level. What would be the best way to just place a button and connect it to any other actor? I didn't know about Blueprint Interfaces, except their name, but after watching this tutorial I learned how awesome they are. Previously to this, I thought I had to use Event Dispatchers, or Cast To ObjectType + Function Call, to get what I want. This however, is very clean to work with.

I managed to create a generic button, which I could connect to any level actor I want. Then I added a door, an elevator and a cannon which I could interact with. Then all I had to do was connect them to a button after placement in the level. Really nifty.

I love this feature already.
    Last edited by Denny; 06-28-2014, 11:54 AM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X