Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Huge RPG styled landscape showcase WIP

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    @ quintela : thank you. What do you mean by pic of the day?

    [MENTION=31692]vanlacke[/MENTION]/jwatte: Yes exactly that. Im not aiming to make a lowend-pcfriendly thing, but more of a highendexperience. On this topic i really need to emphasize that im really bad with the technical stuff. That means im sure there is so much stuff that i can optimize without compromizing the quality(i.e. my lods mostly suck hard). Fun fact: I loose most of the fps with the landscape itself not the foliage. My landscapeshader isnt even that complex but as soon as use more than 2 paintlayers it gets to a bright red in the shadercomplexity...
    Anyway i really would love to make a full game with this. But to be honest this isnt something one man can do. Not with the goals i have in mind (ontop i still have a to maintain my vfx job). I've always loved games like the elder scroll series and the new witcher 3 game also taught me that you can do good storytelling too. So if you would be able to combine epic firstperson immersion with the storytelling of i.e witcher 3, that would be a dream come true for me . With the new unreal engine im at least capable of showing what i imagined visually.

    my full pc specs at the moment are: Intel i7-2600 - gtx970 - 16 gb ram - asus p8p67EVO

    [MENTION=11208]n00854180t[/MENTION] : Thank you. Im really glad that you guys like my work so far. I will also try to make some breakdowns in the future where i show how i made the landscapetextures and the foliage.

    Sadly now updates for now. BACK TO WORK!!!
    Last edited by gou; 06-04-2016, 05:27 AM.

    Comment


    • #17
      [MENTION=168330]gou[/MENTION] I mean a picture of this project is highlighted in the epic launcher as "pic of the day"

      Comment


      • #18
        Ok thats awesome. Im really happy now

        Comment


        • #19
          I never post in the forums but I saw this as the "pic of the day" and I just came here to say "wow".

          Comment


          • #20
            Your landscaping work is excellent, and the scenes are very beautiful, well done!

            Comment


            • #21
              Awesome stuff. What kind of lighting did you use? Dynamic or Static?

              Comment


              • #22
                Thank you all for the kind words. It really pushes me to keep working on it.

                @ StJimmy: The Lighting is dymanic. I couldnt live without a dynamic day/night system :>.

                At the moment im rebuilding the landscape itself again. The heightmap i genereted was only 8k for a 16 by 16 km area and that doesnt give me the detail i want. Im going for 16k now and hope that this will give the landscape another edge. One thing i cant get my head around is, that the streaming distance multiplayer in the landscapeproxys doesn't do anything. No matter what value i put in, the landscapemelting always starts at the same distance with the same rate. When i create a single Landscape with 1 heightmap it all works fine. Maybe someone with insight could explain me what im doing wrong xD.

                Comment


                • #23
                  Any plans for gameplay eventually?

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Originally posted by gou View Post
                    Thank you all for the kind words. It really pushes me to keep working on it.

                    @ StJimmy: The Lighting is dymanic. I couldnt live without a dynamic day/night system :>.

                    At the moment im rebuilding the landscape itself again. The heightmap i genereted was only 8k for a 16 by 16 km area and that doesnt give me the detail i want. Im going for 16k now and hope that this will give the landscape another edge. One thing i cant get my head around is, that the streaming distance multiplayer in the landscapeproxys doesn't do anything. No matter what value i put in, the landscapemelting always starts at the same distance with the same rate. When i create a single Landscape with 1 heightmap it all works fine. Maybe someone with insight could explain me what im doing wrong xD.
                    Did I unserstand your problem correctly? You are getting some issues with culling when using level streaming? If so, you can load and unload your chunks using blueprints. I work with huge landscapes made using WM and for me, the default load and unload seem to work OK. I place environment assets in such a way that the player does not see the culled land. Sometimes, I make use of proxies to create an illusion of those culled land. I am not a master in level streaming, but I found some hacks to kind of fake some landmasses before the actual terrain gets loaded. I dont know if this is what you were asking or it will help, but if you have more questions, feel free to ask.

                    Also, can I ask? Did you use any of the DFGI or HFGI in your scene? The lighting is pretty badass man! Are you generating distance fields at all?

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Originally posted by vanlacke View Post
                      Any plans for gameplay eventually?
                      Yes, there are plans. I have alot of ideas how the combat- and questsystem should look like. But thats only as far as i can go since i am no programmer. I have a friend who im currently trying to get hyped for this. He is in the gamingbuissnes for quite some time and he knows alot of people and can coordinate things. In the longrun if all works like i imagine we are going for a gammeplayprototype wich is then send out to get funding to make the real thing.
                      So far this is only in theory.
                      If all goes down the pipe i will probably make the assets available on the unreal market or something. But i hope it won't come to this .

                      Im really really ambitious about this project, but i also know that this is a huge, almost impossible thing to finish. "IF" there is any future in it, it is inevitable that a whole company has to be build around it. Because Skyrim was to small for me XDDDDDD.

                      Well one thing is clear, that i want to use unreal for that.

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Originally posted by StJimmy View Post
                        Did I unserstand your problem correctly? You are getting some issues with culling when using level streaming? If so, you can load and unload your chunks using blueprints. I work with huge landscapes made using WM and for me, the default load and unload seem to work OK. I place environment assets in such a way that the player does not see the culled land. Sometimes, I make use of proxies to create an illusion of those culled land. I am not a master in level streaming, but I found some hacks to kind of fake some landmasses before the actual terrain gets loaded. I dont know if this is what you were asking or it will help, but if you have more questions, feel free to ask.

                        Also, can I ask? Did you use any of the DFGI or HFGI in your scene? The lighting is pretty badass man! Are you generating distance fields at all?
                        The culling isn't the issue. I can see always all the landscapegeometry. What i meant was that the tris get reduced over distance. And although i have a parameter for that, it doesnt change anything when i change the values in contrast to the "not tiled" landscapes where it all works like a charm.

                        im using the experimental dynamic gi. Im amazed how fpsfriendly that is. But i dont use the movable skylight. The aoshadows look horrible until you make the resolution of the distance fieldd extremely high and then the performance goes down the toilet. So im using the stationary skylight with tweaked standart ao to give it a more realistic look.

                        Works like a chharm for me though it might not be the correct way to do it. Again im more of a visual than technical guy.

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Originally posted by gou View Post
                          The culling isn't the issue. I can see always all the landscapegeometry. What i meant was that the tris get reduced over distance. And although i have a parameter for that, it doesnt change anything when i change the values in contrast to the "not tiled" landscapes where it all works like a charm.

                          im using the experimental dynamic gi. Im amazed how fpsfriendly that is. But i dont use the movable skylight. The aoshadows look horrible until you make the resolution of the distance fieldd extremely high and then the performance goes down the toilet. So im using the stationary skylight with tweaked standart ao to give it a more realistic look.

                          Works like a chharm for me though it might not be the correct way to do it. Again im more of a visual than technical guy.
                          If what I hear is correct, then when you turn the world composition on, make sure you create levels that have the streaming distance "turned off", then it will not cull at all. You can then build a blueprint for distance streaming to customize to your level.

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Originally posted by gou View Post
                            The culling isn't the issue. I can see always all the landscapegeometry. What i meant was that the tris get reduced over distance. And although i have a parameter for that, it doesnt change anything when i change the values in contrast to the "not tiled" landscapes where it all works like a charm.

                            im using the experimental dynamic gi. Im amazed how fpsfriendly that is. But i dont use the movable skylight. The aoshadows look horrible until you make the resolution of the distance fieldd extremely high and then the performance goes down the toilet. So im using the stationary skylight with tweaked standart ao to give it a more realistic look.

                            Works like a chharm for me though it might not be the correct way to do it. Again im more of a visual than technical guy.
                            I think you are talking about LODs. It happens without doing anything (I think).

                            Ah, so you are using experimental DFGI, but how can you get that GI? From what I know, If you don't set skylight movable, DFGI wont work.

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Originally posted by ajbombadill View Post
                              If what I hear is correct, then when you turn the world composition on, make sure you create levels that have the streaming distance "turned off", then it will not cull at all. You can then build a blueprint for distance streaming to customize to your level.
                              Thanks for the tipp i will try it out.
                              [MENTION=57603]StJimmy[/MENTION]: I get the dynamic indirect from the directional light. As far as i know the skylight doesnt even support dynamic gi (lightbouncing). It just creates shadows based on the skysphere and other objects around it.
                              Last edited by gou; 06-05-2016, 08:32 AM.

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                May I suggest you make a stereo spherical map video or even a few static scenes that be enjoyed with a VR headset. If you don't have the time to convert the video into a Google YouTube over/under stereo pair 360 video, I can do it for you, credit you and link to your web page/YouTube channel. These really are well done and could see these being wonderful way to promote the spherical plug-in and your work. I have also been able to take static images directly into NVIDIA's new VR Viewer app meant to be used with their new Ansel feature in upcoming games (is this a plug-in for UE4 yet?). You can contact me at mebalzer@neodivr.com if you are interested. Have you already added audio?

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X