Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ali Akbar View Post
    Planets!

These planets are so cool! Looking forward to seeing updates on how this tool progresses

Comment

Originally posted by Jess.Hider View Post
      These planets are so cool! Looking forward to seeing updates on how this tool progresses
      Thanks [MENTION=294220]Jess.Hider[/MENTION]!
      Dungeon Architect | Landscape Architect | City Architect | Tree Architect | Haste

Get in touch with me on Discord

Comment

Did profiling and heavily optimized the generation process. Fixed an interpolation bug with the 3D noise function, which was causing artifacts to appear all over the map.

Some pics with another density model

Dungeon Architect | Landscape Architect | City Architect | Tree Architect | Haste

Comment

Comment

Working on adding threading support so patches can be built while the game is running, for infinite scrolling

Last edited by Ali Akbar; 05-27-2016, 08:48 AM.

Comment

Wow! This looks really amazing. Will this be feature comparable to World Machine?

Necro's Bone Box, Necro's Utility Material Pack, Necro's Utility Material Pack #2, and Necro's Rock Box on the UE4 Marketplace.

Comment

Originally posted by Necrophob30 View Post
                Wow! This looks really amazing. Will this be feature comparable to World Machine?
                [MENTION=2642]Necrophob30[/MENTION] Thanks! For heightmap based landscapes, World machine is an awesome landscape editor and I'm hoping Landscape Architect would reach that level over time for the heightmap part (with the node based editor). For Voxel Landscapes, I have a set of ideas for the tools which I think would be useful. I'll share a roadmap soon after I get the technical bit of the generation portion sorted out

Another screen

Last edited by Ali Akbar; 05-27-2016, 11:15 AM. Reason: typo

Comment

Implemented a multi-threaded build system. It has a master thread that runs in the background and manages multiple worker threads (e.g. 8 worker threads in a quad core CPU). When tasks are added to the queue system (e.g. a task to build a patch) it gets assigned to the next free thread. Each task has a priority, and the next free thread picks up the task with the highest priority. This is useful to first start building the landscape patches closer to the player / editor level viewport

The build system can run continuously in the background and can be used for infinite scrolling, by adding new patch build request as the player moves in the map

Comment

Ali - This looks awesome.

Regarding the voxel generation, it would be amazing to have a way to do something almost like Dungeon Architect but for controlling what types of voxels spawn where and being able to preview it, in particular to make creating gameplay around the voxel terrain easier, like seeding it with a certain type of 'ore' voxels etc. relegated to the interior.
                    Storyteller - An immersive VR audiobook player

Dungeon Survival - WIP First person dungeon crawler with a focus on survival and environmental gameplay ala roguelikes

Comment

[MENTION=11208]n00854180t[/MENTION] Thanks for the feedback. I'll provide various tools (brush interface) and spline based tools for creating pathways / tunnels, which can be controlled with blueprints for dynamic level layouts. Since I'm not an artist, I'd love to get more feedback from the community on what kind of voxel workflow you'd like to see. I'll have more info on the tools soon

Comment

Arctic scene:

Comment

Didn\t read the whole thread. If the question was asked I am sorry, but having little time on my hands forces me to just ask.
                          What are your intentions with this, are you planning to release it as a plugin on Unreal Marketplace? Or is this a modified engine version? What version does it support now, and - is there a way to get a "Pre Alpha" purchase from you, like, right now? Cause, this is sweet and personally a must have, must buy tool.
                          More, is there a possibility of that thing to work on mobile phones (of course a lighter version)?

Comment

Hi Ali,

You mentioned that the voxel terrain took some time to build, what sort of time frame are you finding for this? (5 seconds, 10, 50?)

p.s. glad my tute helped

Comment

Originally posted by Z-enzyme View Post
                              Didn\t read the whole thread. If the question was asked I am sorry, but having little time on my hands forces me to just ask.
                              What are your intentions with this, are you planning to release it as a plugin on Unreal Marketplace? Or is this a modified engine version? What version does it support now, and - is there a way to get a "Pre Alpha" purchase from you, like, right now? Cause, this is sweet and personally a must have, must buy tool.
                              More, is there a possibility of that thing to work on mobile phones (of course a lighter version)?
                              [MENTION=8503]Z-enzyme[/MENTION] It's designed as a plugin intended to be released on the Marketplace. The engine code wasn't modified and it should support earlier versions too. I'm building it on 4.11. It should work on mobile devices too. I'll test that and let you know

is there a way to get a "Pre Alpha" purchase from you, like, right now? Cause, this is sweet and personally a must have, must buy tool.
                              Thanks for your interest! I'll need to get a few more things done (like voxel terrain editing, more basic features on the heightmap graph node editing etc) before I can release an early access version. I'll keep you posted

Comment

Originally posted by ioFlow Studios View Post
                                Hi Ali,

You mentioned that the voxel terrain took some time to build, what sort of time frame are you finding for this? (5 seconds, 10, 50?)

p.s. glad my tute helped

[MENTION=887]ioFlow Studios[/MENTION] For the above frost scene, it takes the following time

Multi-Threaded:
                                With collision: 7.0 sec
                                Without collision: 5.1 sec

Single-Threaded
                                With collision: 12.8 sec
                                Without collision: 6.0 sec

This is for calculating 16x16x2 patches of voxels data, each having 32x32x32 cells within a patch. Each patch is sent to a thread to be calculated

The bottleneck now seems to be in the rendering (once the threads calculate the voxel data and all the vertex/index data) it queues it in the render thread to actually create the meshes. I didn't get time to profile this further. I'm sure there's more room for improvement

Last edited by Ali Akbar; 05-29-2016, 10:56 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

Working...
                                X