Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Ali Akbar View Post
    I use a custom mesh component for the voxel landscape
    Is this the regular custom mesh component that comes with UE, or something you created yourself?
    It seems it can be optimized a lot, considering this plugin.

Comment

• Originally posted by FrederickD View Post
      Is this the regular custom mesh component that comes with UE, or something you created yourself?
      It seems it can be optimized a lot, considering this plugin.
      Runtime mesh component is getting a major overhaul. So It might be worth it to wait.

Comment

• Any updates? Is this coming out on the marketplace? If so, what's your price point?

Comment

• Hey everyone, I've been working on some internal optimizations. The Voxel chunks can now save the density data in any data type (4-byte float, 2-byte or 1-byte integers). This helps in saving memory and the size of your saved games

Past few days I've been working on implementing a atmospheric scattering shader explained in this GPU Gems article. It works from both in and outside the atmosphere

The planet in the video and screens in 200km in diameter

There are issues with physics that I'll need to solve. There are also rendering artifacts (bands) due to depth buffer precision while rendering the atmospheric scattering on large planets when seen from far away. However I've reduced it by taking the planet surface depth into account only when the player is close to the start of atmosphere

Video:

Screens:

Dungeon Architect | Landscape Architect | City Architect | Tree Architect | Haste

Get in touch with me on Discord

Comment

• Originally posted by Ali Akbar View Post
            Hey everyone, I've been working on some internal optimizations. The Voxel chunks can now save the density data in any data type (4-byte float, 2-byte or 1-byte integers). This helps in saving memory and the size of your saved games

Past few days I've been working on implementing a atmospheric scattering shader explained in this GPU Gems article. It works from both in and outside the atmosphere

The planet in the video and screens in 200km in diameter

There are issues with physics that I'll need to solve. There are also rendering artifacts (bands) due to depth buffer precision while rendering the atmospheric scattering on large planets when seen from far away. However I've reduced it by taking the planet surface depth into account only when the player is close to the start of atmosphere

Video:

Screens:
            I freakin need this!
            [MENTION=28980]Ali Akbar[/MENTION] - You should check out this atmospheric scattering: http://evasion.inrialpes.fr/~Eric.Bruneton/ (Scroll down to the section labeled Atmosphere.) It supports multiple scattering and should be similarly performant to the simpler GPU Gems version, but give better results. Also a code example there to download.
            Last edited by n00854180t; 03-18-2017, 12:46 PM.
            Storyteller - An immersive VR audiobook player

Dungeon Survival - WIP First person dungeon crawler with a focus on survival and environmental gameplay ala roguelikes

Comment

• Originally posted by n00854180t View Post
              I freakin need this!
              [MENTION=28980]Ali Akbar[/MENTION] - You should check out this atmospheric scattering: http://evasion.inrialpes.fr/~Eric.Bruneton/ (Scroll down to the section labeled Atmosphere.) It supports multiple scattering and should be similarly performant to the simpler GPU Gems version, but give better results. Also a code example there to download.
              Yes same,

I need this as well.

I would also like to point out that they made the code available under the BSD-3 license.

You can get access to their repo by accessing this site. http://proland.imag.fr/

Comment

• Pretty sweet stuff Ali

Your work is so inspirational, that scattering looks gorgeous!

Comment

• [MENTION=887]ioFlow Studios[/MENTION] Thank you!
                  [MENTION=11208]n00854180t[/MENTION] [MENTION=260]HeadClot[/MENTION] Thank you for the links. I'll definitely have a look

Was just watching the GDC presentation by Sean Murray. He explains various noise functions used in No Mans Sky with some real nice and intuitive ways to combine various noise models. I'll experiment those with LA. The noise is generated in the CPU right now. I'll look at generating this in the GPU to speed things up
                  Dungeon Architect | Landscape Architect | City Architect | Tree Architect | Haste

Comment

• Amazing looks !

Comment

• Ali so... Your map is.... 125660 Square km ? so 8500 TIMES bigger than entire skyrim map? procedurally. I just... well... ****! good there is world origin shifting integrated into UE for some time, or getting vectors in such giant space would be pain in the ****.

Comment

• Is this still going smoothly? As in, can we still expect an April release? If you still haven't figured out a price, I'de gladly drop down $150 if it's as great as I think it is and think it would be popular at that mid to high price point. Of course I would still be willing to pay more or less.

Also, any progress on getting it to work in editor and height maps to voxel for "caves/overhangs" etc? I need it to work with height maps I export from World Machine and then continue editing it from there. So I'm assuming that this wouldn't work on pre-made landscapes yes?
                        Last edited by NightroGames; 04-02-2017, 10:52 AM.

Comment

• OMG this is what I need!
                          Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0J...teUGFLma3dgljQ
                          Twitter: https://twitter.com/Phantomisreal
                          Steam: http://store.steampowered.com/app/578800
                          Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/phantomisreal

Comment

• A few new things these past few weeks

- Voxel calculations are done in the GPU (Compute shaders) and is much faster. I'll also provide a pixel shader version for older hardware that do not support SM5
                            - Improved noise model for procedural generation. The mountains look more interesting. More info here
                            - A custom vertex factory and shaders for the voxel mesh to fully control the vertex data that is passed to the GPU (Needed for a flexible material system)
                            - Created a layer based Material system with weights on each layer. You can alter these weights to paint different material (like ue4 landscape layers) from the editor / runtime. These weights can also be set from your landscape graph. More on this later
                            - Started working on Foliage support (very early WIP). I'll also support a modified version of UE4's procedural foliage tool for spawning trees

Foliage:
                            Last edited by Ali Akbar; 04-03-2017, 05:36 AM.

Comment

• Looks great.

Comment

• Doesn't the UE4 procedural foliage tool already spawn foliage on top of meshes? such as voxels? Unless Your tool updates the foliage on landscape modification at runtime.

Comment

Working...
                                X