No announcement yet.

Cashgen - (kinda) Infinite Procedural World Generator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm trying to get this running on my Mac, but Xcode is giving me a bunch of errors. Fixing the bad comments was easy, but I have no idea what to do about the fastnoise functions not being defined.
    Last edited by honaj; 02-01-2018, 11:22 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by honaj View Post
      I'm trying to get this running on my Mac, but Xcode is giving me a bunch of errors. Fixing the bad comments was easy, but I have no idea what to do about the fastnoise functions not being defined.

Hmm, don't have an OSX environment to test I'm afraid. Which version are you running?

Comment

Originally posted by mid_gen View Post

Hmm, don't have an OSX environment to test I'm afraid. Which version are you running?

Latest master in 4.18. Tried both the Cashdemo and a project of mine that runs just fine in Windows, no luck. Think I fixed the pointer issue by replacing "." with "->", but still stuck with GetNoise. There's something wrong with lines 179 and 201 in FastNoise.h, but I don't really know anything about C++.

Comment

On a whim I deleted "FORCEINLINE"(which I don't even know what it does) from both function declarations and everything seems to be working so far.

Comment

On a whim I deleted "FORCEINLINE"(which I don't even know what it does) from both function declarations and everything seems to be working so far.
            I had all similar errors, using Code as the IDE. Walked through them all and was able to build it.

Comment

mid_gen Hi!

I need to be able to proceduraly generate terrain so i can edit it in runtime.
              When Googling, I stumbled upon your plugin, and would like to use it in my game.
              In the github, I believe you mention that it can take heightmaps as an input, could you help me doing that?
              As I just can't get it working, not even with guidance from examples, or even create a world from noise.
              Can you help me?
              I'm using UE4.18

Thanks

Comment

Hi mid_gen! When I run the demo, i get a few islands in a world which is limited in size; if I fly in a straight line in any direction after a minute or so I hit the sky dome. Is this intended behaviour and I'm misunderstanding the meaning of 'infinite' terrain, or is something not working properly?

Comment

Originally posted by Cl8z View Post
                  Hi mid_gen! When I run the demo, i get a few islands in a world which is limited in size; if I fly in a straight line in any direction after a minute or so I hit the sky dome. Is this intended behaviour and I'm misunderstanding the meaning of 'infinite' terrain, or is something not working properly?
                  I don't think this has much to do with this plugin.
                  You can easely solve this by making the skydome follow the player/camera, should be quite easy.
                  There are probably tutorials for it already, but if not, just modify the player blueprint to set the location of the skysphere to the location of the player/camera.(But don't change rotation and scale!)

Comment

Sorry I can't be more help, no OSX machine to test. I seem to have lost the VM I made with it years ago.
                    Originally posted by lalala312 View Post
                    mid_gen Hi!

I need to be able to proceduraly generate terrain so i can edit it in runtime.
                    When Googling, I stumbled upon your plugin, and would like to use it in my game.
                    In the github, I believe you mention that it can take heightmaps as an input, could you help me doing that?
                    As I just can't get it working, not even with guidance from examples, or even create a world from noise.
                    Can you help me?
                    I'm using UE4.18

Thanks
                    You can't use heightmaps as input, the plugin generates the heightmaps dynamically using the noise generators. If you just want to create terrain from a pre-generated heightmap, you might as well use the standard UE terrain features.
                    Originally posted by Cl8z View Post
                    Yeah that's a problem with the skydome setup rather than the plugin, although I've never come across it myself.

You will hit the killzone around the level limit at some point still.

I haven't had a chance to fire up UE for the past few months as I've been using all my free time on a machine learning course. I'm hoping to be able to start working to apply some ML shenanigans to the project soon.

Comment

Originally posted by mid_gen View Post

Sorry I can't be more help, no OSX machine to test. I seem to have lost the VM I made with it years ago.

You can't use heightmaps as input, the plugin generates the heightmaps dynamically using the noise generators. If you just want to create terrain from a pre-generated heightmap, you might as well use the standard UE terrain features.

Yeah that's a problem with the skydome setup rather than the plugin, although I've never come across it myself.

You will hit the killzone around the level limit at some point still.

I haven't had a chance to fire up UE for the past few months as I've been using all my free time on a machine learning course. I'm hoping to be able to start working to apply some ML shenanigans to the project soon.
                      Thanks for your reply, but i NEED it to be generated at runtime, where all UE terrain stuff is editor-only.
                      I think iI will need to write my own generator then.

Comment

Originally posted by lalala312 View Post

Thanks for your reply, but i NEED it to be generated at runtime, where all UE terrain stuff is editor-only.
                        I think iI will need to write my own generator then.
                        The code is pretty modular, you should be able to swap out the noise generation for heightmaps pretty easily.

FCGTerrainGeneratorWorker takes the noise generator as input, and outputs geometry data.

Just modify it to take a heightmap as input, and everything else should still work.

Comment

Sorry if this has been asked before, but would this plugin support landscape holes generated at specific locations, sizes & shapes at runtime?

Comment

Originally posted by hippowombat View Post
                            Sorry if this has been asked before, but would this plugin support landscape holes generated at specific locations, sizes & shapes at runtime?

Nope, not at present.

Comment

So it appears that the runtime mesh component is broken in some way, this happens both with the demo project and if I create a new one in 4.18.

Comment

When I build it in VC - I get the exact same thing as honaj
                                BTW: I am attempting to do this in 4.19.2 - yes I do have the Runtime Mesh Component 4.19.2 version from GitHub

Comment

Working...
                                X