No announcement yet.

Cashgen - (kinda) Infinite Procedural World Generator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Awesome stuff. Actually just what i was aiming at with my project as a base setup for my game... but quite more advanced than what I would be able to manage to achieve in any near future. With this I have no more excuses to start testing out my gameplay-concept.
    For the material: Do you use vertex-colors? I was planning on using them to blend up to 5 different materials als biome-grounds - but the color structure is broken for blueprints as it seems... I can only use Linear Color from there, meaning I can't really set up arrays of vertex colors to use with procedural mesh generation.
    But I have a test-material blending on different heights, so far I set up a transition at water lever (or just above ... similar to yours) and one near the mountain peaks for stone or glaciers.
    Adding blending by slope is just another option I was going to integrate for my project. As all the blending (height, slope, vertex color) would be in one material: are there any concepts to actually put different materials onto the meshes and have a smooth transition?

I hope you keep up the good work ... I can't wait to try your code myself. Too bad it has to wait for next week.

Comment

This looks awesome! Great work man, wish I had discovered this sooner

We had tried integrating a procedural terrain system back in 4.7 or so but ended up removing it for performance reasons as it generated a small amount pretty much every tick. This looks like a better solution, building world tiles is what I really wanted to do with the old one.

Going to download and try it out, it looks great. Knowing it plays nicely with the OceanPlugin is a big bonus, thanks!!
      Free Community Ocean & Sky Project || Join us on Discord! || Trello Roadmap

Comment

I am also having a hard time installing the plugin... even after adding the LibNoise Plugin and activating it, I get an error message "Missing or incompatible modules in CashGen plugin" at start of UE4.12 (also tried 4.11 and 4.10 with the same result). I put the plugins to the plugins folder of the engine, not the project, as I also recieved this and/or other error messages when the plugins where just in the project's plugins folder.
        Any advice on what to do?

Comment

Originally posted by IdeoLive View Post
          Sorry guys if i seem to be a noob, but her is the message i have when i try to open the project

UnrealLibNoise Plugin missing

[ATTACH=CONFIG]95545[/ATTACH]
          Hmms, I must have left a reference to that in the project somewhere. It's not used anymore so should work fine without the warning.

I'm going to update to 4.12 and try out Koderz' realtime mesh stuff when I'm back from vacation, and make sure any of these niggles are cleaned up.

Comment

Originally posted by Stoon82 View Post
            I am also having a hard time installing the plugin... even after adding the LibNoise Plugin and activating it, I get an error message "Missing or incompatible modules in CashGen plugin" at start of UE4.12 (also tried 4.11 and 4.10 with the same result). I put the plugins to the plugins folder of the engine, not the project, as I also recieved this and/or other error messages when the plugins where just in the project's plugins folder.
            Any advice on what to do?
            Err yeah derp on my part. Just checked the UPROJECT file on github and it still had the UnrealLibNoise dependency in it. I've committed the change via the web but I'm not in front of my UE setup at the moment to test, but that should sort it out.

Comment

hey awesome job looks like a great plugin.
              sadly, i can't open your uproject in 4.12.2 or 4.11.2

first i click on your project and i get this.
              Click image for larger version

Name:	RebuildWithDiffEngine.PNG
Views:	1
Size:	6.1 KB
ID:	1108149

so i rebuild and get this

Name:	couldNotBeCompiledBuildFromSource.PNG
Size:	3.2 KB
ID:	1108151

then i try to generate visual studio files so i can compile but i get this

Name:	wontGenerateVisualStudioFiles.PNG
Size:	7.0 KB
ID:	1108152

i know this is a WIP but just wanted to let you know.

can't wait to mess around with this. looks dope.

Comment

I've not tested on 4.11 or 4.12, but that error is related an old plug-in I used. I thought I had removed all the references the other day.

Check the .uproject and build.cs files for any instances of UnrealLibNoise and remove them.

Comment

there were 2 'UnrealLibNoise' references in cashgenUE.Build.cs file and after removing them the project opened. thank you.

Comment

Cool! I'm on vacation at the moment but next week I'll be working on getting the plug-in cleaned up and converted to 4.11/4.12.

Also going to move it to Koderz runtime mesh component and see how that performs

Comment

Just the errors I was getting. Thanks, now I have good hope I can try this plugin tomorrow.
                      Why did you move away from libnoise? I have been messing with the c++ version of libnoise in the last days, using the complex planet example to populate a mysql table with height data. Do you think the UnrealLibnoise plugin could mimic the functionality of complex planet to create the data on the fly, maybe even from blueprints (and be performant)?

Comment

Libnoise is GPL licensed so you flat out cannot use it in an Unreal Engine project.

Shame as UnrealLibNoise is a nice way of configuring modules in blueprint....but no use for anything you plan to release. I do plan on adding module/layers support to the Fastnoise wrapper. Going to give a quick talk on the terrain generator at our user group next week so I'll be spending some time on it, adding the foliage placement, upgrade to 4.12, trying out koderz' runtime mesh component etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Stoon82 View Post
                          Just the errors I was getting. Thanks, now I have good hope I can try this plugin tomorrow.
                          Why did you move away from libnoise? I have been messing with the c++ version of libnoise in the last days, using the complex planet example to populate a mysql table with height data. Do you think the UnrealLibnoise plugin could mimic the functionality of complex planet to create the data on the fly, maybe even from blueprints (and be performant)?
                          I did create a 10-module libnoise blueprint and performance wasn't a problem, the generation is done off the game thread so not a big issue.

Comment

Right, I've moved the old release into a 4.10 branch.

Master is now updated to 4.12, and I've replaced the ProceduralMeshComponents with Koderz' RuntimeMeshComponent. Also updated with the 4.12 version of OceanPlugin (and included the ocean and sky components in the repo). All dependency issues should be sorted.

Edit - push is in progress, as it's including the OceanPlugin stuff, should be up in 30 mins or so I guess.
                            Last edited by mid_gen; 06-19-2016, 06:46 AM.

Comment

New vid, just pushed a little fix for visibility problem I came across.

Comment

For fun I tried to move build to the BP construction event. Heads up it crashes the editor ha.

Is there an area where we could adjust the noise to make larger "continents"? Even though the set up is pretty sweet right now.

Comment

Working...
                                X