Cashgen - (kinda) Infinite Procedural World Generator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by The_Mec_666 View Post
    is it possible to get this to create barren landscapes like this one?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]138043[/ATTACH]
    Sure you can get the terrain geometry looking like that. Material work is up to you though!

Comment

Few little updates while I've been cleaning up the code. You can now spin up an arbitrary number of threads to calculate the geometry, and the number of tiles to update per frame is now configurable.

Comment

Originally posted by mid_gen View Post
        Few little updates while I've been cleaning up the code. You can now spin up an arbitrary number of threads to calculate the geometry, and the number of tiles to update per frame is now configurable.
        Those little housekeeping updates are what make "things" healthy. Keep up the good work! I've been watching the progress on this (and diving in and testing updates every now and then) as I work on several other systems, it feels like it's all growing up together, lol.

Comment

Originally posted by Derjyn View Post
          Those little housekeeping updates are what make "things" healthy. Keep up the good work! I've been watching the progress on this (and diving in and testing updates every now and then) as I work on several other systems, it feels like it's all growing up together, lol.
          The threading stuff is quite flaky I've realised. Seems to be OK up to 4 threads but anything beyond and it craps out. Haven't had time to debug it properly yet.

Comment

Hey mid_gen.

I'm new in ue4 and would like to use your plugin for Terrain generation. Could you give me an advice how to get the terrain working? I've done everything from Readme, but dont know how to set SetupTiles Method.

Comment

Originally posted by Druusch View Post
              Hey mid_gen.

I'm new in ue4 and would like to use your plugin for Terrain generation. Could you give me an advice how to get the terrain working? I've done everything from Readme, but dont know how to set SetupTiles Method.
              The method to start spawning tiles is now 'SetupTerrain'

Comment

Is real time deformation (in the game) of the landscape supported? From bombs, grenades, explosions, etc.

Comment

I've always been a fan of this kind of stuff, but never been able to quite get there myself.

Is this deterministic? So if I go in one direction for a while and then back the same way I came - will stuff look the same, or will it have been randomly generated? Will definitely be checking this out!

Edit:

Trying to figure out how this works, if I make a CGTerrainManager BP and hook up a noise generator to the SetupTerrain node and change the XTiles and YTiles to anything that is not 0 - it crashes when I try to play(4.15.1). If I use the Sample Terrain class provided - it works.

What am I doing wrong?
                  Last edited by Dealman; 05-04-2017, 08:22 AM.

Comment

Yes it's deterministic, you'll always come back to the same terrain.

I thought I'd set defaults on all the config structs now so a default BP with a simple noise generator plugged in should work. Can you paste the exception?

Comment

Yes it's deterministic, you'll always come back to the same terrain.

I thought I'd set defaults on all the config structs now so a default BP with a simple noise generator plugged in should work. Can you paste the exception?
                      Sorry for the late response! That's pretty awesome that it's deterministic, very eager to play around with it - just gotta work out how to it works. I'm a bit confused as to what the "Outer" node is when creating a noise generator - so not sure if that's what's causing the issue.

I just tried to make a new empty project and install it all over, but still get the crashing. Error;
                      Code:
                      Fatal error: [File:D:\Build\++UE4+Release-4.15+Compile\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\CoreUObject\Private\UObject\UObjectGlobals.cpp] [Line: 2253] 
                      Object is not packaged: FastNoise None
                      And this is how I've set it up.

Apologies if I'm completely misusing your wonderful plugin

Comment

Ah right, the Noise Generators are UOBJECTs, basically C++ classes managed by the engine. They need to have a parent or 'outer' object to belong to.

In this case, you just want to use the CGTerrainManager itself....so just add a 'Self' node and connect it to the 'Outer' pin.

Thanks for posting the details, all helps me to get it documented better

Comment

Ah right, the Noise Generators are UOBJECTs, basically C++ classes managed by the engine. They need to have a parent or 'outer' object to belong to.

In this case, you just want to use the CGTerrainManager itself....so just add a 'Self' node and connect it to the 'Outer' pin.

Thanks for posting the details, all helps me to get it documented better
                          That did fix the crashing. But it still didn't generate the terrain, turns out I have to set add a LOD entry and set a rather large range value - or nothing will happen. Setting it to 50 000 and suddenly terrain. Now for the number crunching

Comment

Yep you need a LOD0 entry with a range or you won't see anything.

Comment

Yep you need a LOD0 entry with a range or you won't see anything.
                              Ya, it made sense. I was scratching my head as to why it wasn't generating anything and then I saw the LOD parameter and I just facepalmed Pretty fun to play around with, still trying to figure out all the various noises, luckily I have some experience with World Machine so I'm not entirely new to how heightmaps and how blending them works.

Oh, and as for the water - did you ever check out the community project Ocean Water Shader? I used to use it a while back and it was pretty solid - it has a feature to render an infinite ocean. And the buoyancy was pretty cool to play around with - maybe that's something that could work?

Edit:

Seems like this is very hard to get working with a custom gamemode, not sure if due to the plugin or the engine itself. If I make a new gamemode and try to use it as-is, then it will work. But if I want to use a custom character instead of the DefaultPawn, I need to restart the editor or it won't update.

And in doing so, it'll stop generating terrain. Even PrintString stops working for whatever reason. I know that PrintString has been extremely buggy the last few versions of the engine, so it may be on their end and not yours.

Edit2:

Seems it's related to having a custom player controller, I can change pawn and all that stuff in my gamemode - but if I try and use a custom PC, the plugin stops working.

I also made a little UMG interface to make it a bit easier to fiddle around with various settings, still vastly incomplete - I only have the regular noise generator implemented thus far, and can only use one at a time - so none of that fancy blending stuff just yet. Still fun to fiddle with though

Sort of a prototype interface if it's something you're interested in adapting later on, the user can hover over the ? and see a tooltip with information about the setting.

Last edited by Dealman; 05-05-2017, 06:21 PM.

Comment

I used to include the OceanPlugin code in the demo project but it was a pain keeping the project updated as OceanPlugin isn't maintained all that quickly and has loads of extra stuff in. I did look at generating a heightmap texture to feed into the BP_Ocean so the waves and stuff would work on the shorelines but it was a bit of a nightmare....easier to write something custom from scratch. Might take a look into it.

I'll probably add an option to add in a simple plane on each tile for the water and a second material for it for now.

Comment

Working...
                                X