Cashgen - (kinda) Infinite Procedural World Generator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mid_gen View Post
    Master is updated to 4.15. 4.14 version is on a new branch.

You'll need to get the 4.15 version of the RuntimeMeshComponent :

https://github.com/Koderz/UE4RuntimeMeshComponent

Only a couple of little changes to get it working. First glance performance seems *much* better, I suspect that is down to improvements from RMC (thanks [MENTION=141752]Koderz[/MENTION])

sounds good, i'm definitely going to use this. you got a nice product here. thank you

Comment

weird when I put in the RMC plugin, when I try to run the Editor it says cannot be found. and gives a bunch of paper2d errors

Comment

Wow, this is a fantastic plugin! I've only played with it for a bit in the editor, because as of right now I dont know C code, which I'm going to have to learn.. The only things I saw exposed to BP was the set up terrain and spawn tile.
        • Is there a way to know when its done spawning the terrain in the player spawn area? so that I could then place the character on the ground?
        • is it possible to specify the starting area, and have it blend into the nearby generated areas?

Also, I loaded up the splinedemo map, and it crashed when I tried to run it. I dont have the debugging symbols atm, so I'm going to have to install them, and I'll get back to you. I have added the FPS starter template, so I dont know if that is causing issues.
        Ok, installed symbols, doesnt look helpful at all.

Access violation - code c0000005 (first/second chance not available)

UE4Editor_CashGen!FCGTerrainGeneratorWorker::ProcessTerrainMap() [f:\ue4\cashgenue-master\plugins\cashgen\source\cashgen\private\cgterraingeneratorworker.cpp:139]
        UE4Editor_CashGen!FCGTerrainGeneratorWorker::Run() [f:\ue4\cashgenue-master\plugins\cashgen\source\cashgen\private\cgterraingeneratorworker.cpp:53]
        UE4Editor_Core!FRunnableThreadWin::Run() [d:\build\++ue4+release-4.15+compile\sync\engine\source\runtime\core\private\windows\windowsrunnablethread.cpp:76]
        Last edited by Interitus384; 03-06-2017, 03:36 PM.
        https://www.patreon.com/MMaxwell
        https://twitter.com/Michael25991355

Comment

Ah I didn't check the splinedemo, probably needs a little tweak.

I can add a delegate to notify on initial completion sure, will look into it tomorrow.

Comment

Watched Sean Murray's GDC talk the other day (must watch for anyone interested in procgen terrain).

http://www.gdcvault.com/play/1024514...g-Worlds-Using

Starting to work some of the techniques in. Just the two iterations of domain warping in this example on basic fbm noise.

Starting to work on the derivatives now. Not really suitable for real-time generation on the CPU (mega slow) but interesting nonetheless
            Attached Files

Comment

Bit of domain warping in action on the demo scene. Certainly makes it more interesting :>

Will push the update to the noise plugin shortly.

Comment

New demo

Comment

I knew you had to have seen Sean's GDC talk! I finished that and promptly came here to mention it. Awesome to see you working in some of that magic. I imagine you had several lightbulbs go off with the whole uber noise thing?

I did, and while I had known about feeding varying levels of noise into distortion and so on, realized I never really did it in any terrain generation programs. So I fired up World Machine and chained several Perlin noise generators into each other. What a difference it makes, and generation is fast. It was producing nicer results than some really power hungry macros, many times faster. Sort of made me feel like a dork

Really looking forward to the future of CashGen now. Keep up the awesome work!

[edit]
                  Just checked out the latest version, and yeah... terrains are definitely more interesting.
                  [/edit]
                  Last edited by Derjyn; 03-21-2017, 01:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Derjyn View Post
                    I knew you had to have seen Sean's GDC talk! I finished that and promptly came here to mention it. Awesome to see you working in some of that magic. I imagine you had several lightbulbs go off with the whole uber noise thing?

I did, and while I had known about feeding varying levels of noise into distortion and so on, realized I never really did it in any terrain generation programs. So I fired up World Machine and chained several Perlin noise generators into each other. What a difference it makes, and generation is fast. It was producing nicer results than some really power hungry macros, many times faster. Sort of made me feel like a dork

Really looking forward to the future of CashGen now. Keep up the awesome work!

[edit]
                    Just checked out the latest version, and yeah... terrains are definitely more interesting.
                    [/edit]

The projects are a bit of a mess at the moment as I've just been tinkering with things and pushing commits as I move between laptop and desktop. Plenty of stuff to look at though.

There is actually domain warping in the original fastnoise code but because of the implementation of the wrapper it wasn't really usable. There's now a new WarpModule you can use which you'll have seen in some of the demos.

Going to focus on noise generation for a bit. Once that's tidied up I may finally embark on a voxel version.

Comment

Hey mid_gen, Any chance you have a road map of what you're planning to work on in CashGen? Looks great so far!

Comment

I've pared the github repo back to just the plugin folder now, so the demo project is gone. You can now just checkout the repo into your project's plugin folder.

I wanted to remove the OceanPlugin dependencies because it's not updated particularly often.

I'm looking at putting a sample terrain and material inside the plugin's content folder, just need to check that works alright.

Comment

Rock on, mid_gen. A little housekeeping and size reduction never hurts. It can be a lot of extra work keeping a project tidy when you have several other dependencies. I think it's a good choice to strip out the external stuff from cashgen (semantic question: is the title "Cashgen" or "cashgen"?).

Comment

Originally posted by Derjyn View Post
                            Rock on, mid_gen. A little housekeeping and size reduction never hurts. It can be a lot of extra work keeping a project tidy when you have several other dependencies. I think it's a good choice to strip out the external stuff from cashgen (semantic question: is the title "Cashgen" or "cashgen"?).
                            Doesn't really matter on the name Repo is called CashGenUE from when I was doing Unity stuff as well :P

Added a Content folder to the plugin now and put some sample levels/BPs/materials in there....much tidier!

Comment

is it possible to get this to create barren landscapes like this one?

Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled.png
Views:	1
Size:	503.6 KB
ID:	1126741

Comment

Aw man. I thought it could print me money. Different cash gen I see.

Comment

Working...
                                X