Cashgen - (kinda) Infinite Procedural World Generator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[PLUGIN] Cashgen - (kinda) Infinite Procedural World Generator

I've been messing around with the ProceduralMeshComponent for a while, and after many revisions I've got a version that's sort of ready for other people to see.

This is all built with community assets, thanks go out to :

@koderz for his RuntimeMeshComponent
    The OceanPlugin guys and gals
    [MENTION=66934]AaronWith2As[/MENTION] for the grass BP
    Me for my UnrealFastNoise plugin

https://github.com/midgen/cashgenUE

Master branch is built on 4.15

Contributions welcome, particularly materials

The WorldManager actor spawns Zones around the designated Pawn as it moves, has basic LOD functionality.

Latest update! Demo scene now looks like this :

LOD demo:

Updated - Removed RuntimeMeshComponent from project plugins

You will now need to install RuntimeMeshComponent to your engine version to run the project.

https://www.unrealengine.com/marketp...mesh-component

Click image for larger version

Name:	img.png
Views:	1
Size:	151.0 KB
ID:	1182483

And then your level blueprint can do something like this (I'm setting a silly walk speed for debugging purposes) :

Name:	img (1).png
Size:	183.6 KB
ID:	1182484
    Last edited by mid_gen; 03-12-2017, 08:16 AM.

Awesome stuff. Thanks !
    http://unrealdeveloper.uk

Comment

Hi mid_gen...

This looks super useful! Thanks for sharing...

While the textures aren't UE4 landscape quality they're not far off UDK landscapes.
      Its all very passable and the collision looks excellent as good as a real landscape!
      Could this work be mixed with what Simon is doing here or maybe this project...???

Comment

Looks cool! What about performance, compared to a landscape?
        Edge of Chaos RTS
        "Age of Total Heroes" - RTS Pathfinding and Movement System for UE4
        RTS Camera C++ Tutorial

Comment

Originally posted by franktech View Post
          Hi mid_gen...

This looks super useful! Thanks for sharing...

While the textures aren't UE4 landscape quality they're not far off UDK landscapes.
          Its all very passable and the collision looks excellent as good as a real landscape!
          Could this work be mixed with what Simon is doing here or maybe this project...???
          The quality of the landscape and materials is really down to how you configure it, I do plan on including some nice materials but I am a programmer So if any artists want to contribute, I would be very happy to accept! This is with the patches turned up to 128x128 and the unit size down to 200 and some starter content materials. As you can see the mesh and collision update with that size patch is a problem.

I am regularly chatting with Simon (ioflow) on Slack about our projects. Thanks on the link for the world origin stuff....I am not actually resetting origin at the moment, need to get around to doing that.

I've been talking with Koderz on slack about enhancements to the ProceduralMeshComponents, particularly as regards smarter threading on the collision updates which should enable these higher res meshes to load in nice and smoothly.

Comment

Originally posted by sivan View Post
            Looks cool! What about performance, compared to a landscape?
            The performance bottleneck is currently the mesh and collision update, which I hope to be improved. Rendering of the landscape once it's generated will depend how you go on the materials side of things.

Here's a shot of 50x50 128x128 patches with some pretty unsympathetic LOD settings.

http://prnt.sc/b192dd

Comment

Pushed a small update to allow inversion of the noise algorithm. I was wondering why the RidgedMultiFractal looked so different from my old noise generator Now back looking much more natural. Updated the first video.

Name:	Untitled.png
Size:	306.2 KB
ID:	1106046
              Last edited by mid_gen; 05-07-2016, 07:02 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by mid_gen View Post
                The performance bottleneck is currently the mesh and collision update, which I hope to be improved. Rendering of the landscape once it's generated will depend how you go on the materials side of things.

Here's a shot of 50x50 128x128 patches with some pretty unsympathetic LOD settings.

http://prnt.sc/b192dd
                Thanks, and great news, it means it can be a true landscape alternative. In case of my strategy game I want to have a cheap terrain material, with a few textures with slope and height based auto blending, and the whole level could be generated on game/level start... exploring your project is added to my to-do-list
                Edge of Chaos RTS
                "Age of Total Heroes" - RTS Pathfinding and Movement System for UE4
                RTS Camera C++ Tutorial

Comment

Originally posted by sivan View Post
                  Thanks, and great news, it means it can be a true landscape alternative. In case of my strategy game I want to have a cheap terrain material, with a few textures with slope and height based auto blending, and the whole level could be generated on game/level start... exploring your project is added to my to-do-list
                  There's a basic slope/height material in the project based on some tutorial code I found that you can try out. I use Dokyo's low poly asset packs from the marketplace for materials/meshes on my private repo.

Back from my travels....haven't slept in 32 hours but I thought of a couple of silly mistakes in the code while I was on holiday and just pushed a small update to resolve them (Normal and tangent calcs were being duplicated 4 times, oops).

Comment

This looks awesome.
                    Storyteller - An immersive VR audiobook player

Dungeon Survival - WIP First person dungeon crawler with a focus on survival and environmental gameplay ala roguelikes

Comment

Thanks

Minor update this morning, changed terrain to spawn around the world origin.

Next up, materials.

Comment

Hello, your plugin look awesome, i downloaded the plugin from github, put the files on my plugin project folder. but i have an error when i try to open it. Can you tell me how to fix it please ?

Comment

Originally posted by IdeoLive View Post
                          Hello, your plugin look awesome, i downloaded the plugin from github, put the files on my plugin project folder. but i have an error when i try to open it. Can you tell me how to fix it please ?
                          The error tells you, it cannot find a blueprint referenced in the game mode. Therefor you either remove the reference or fill the reference up with a character
                          Youtube
                          Machine Learning C++ Plugin
                          Lindenmayer System C++ Plugin

Comment

Originally posted by IdeoLive View Post
                            There are a few things that I reference in the demo level you'll want to add.

In the editor, click 'Add New' and then 'Add Feature or Content Pack', and add :

1) Starter Content - The sample landscape material I use references a few textures from there
                            2) One of the character features (Third Person/First Person). The WorldManager just needs a reference to any pawn, I've used the ThirdPerson one in the demo videos.
                            3) My demo level uses https://forums.unrealengine.com/show...n-Water-Shader for the water. If you want to use that you'll need to include their plugin in your project as well

Comment

Sorry guys if i seem to be a noob, but her is the message i have when i try to open the project

UnrealLibNoise Plugin missing

Name:	UnrealLibNoise.jpg
Size:	10.1 KB
ID:	1107437

Comment

Working...
                              X