X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• started a topic Environment - WIP Forever

Environment - WIP Forever

Hello, guys.

I've started to create this sort of residential environment as a background for some of my archviz projects. Then I started to use it as a sandbox to study the engine, improve lighting, foliage techniques, performance optimization, landscape and materials, etc... I'm always trying to improve the realism somehow, so I consider it a "forever WIP" project .

Anyway, I think this project packs a lot of stuff I've done so far with UE4 so I decided to create this thread for and keep it updated with screenshots and info of the last improvements and experiments. C&C, questions and curiosities are most welcome.

I created a new tree model recently and used the environment project to test it on, try some lights and tweak the materials. I ended up creating some scenes and playing more with the environment than the tree itself . In the screenshots bellow I tried to recreate an abandoned place.

The screenshots are from two areas. In the last of them I've tried to recreate an abandon place just to play around with decals and materials (plus I like that mood ).
    The map has an area of 5 square kilometers with satellite textures used as base. The actual usable area with details resides in the center and has about 1 square km.

Red circle indicates the house that appears in the first screenshot.

This is a thread about the little tree: https://forums.unrealengine.com/show...chviz-Projects
    And this is about an archviz that made me start to build this environment: https://forums.unrealengine.com/show...oliage-studies
    Last edited by rabellogp; 05-15-2016, 08:44 PM.

• replied
    Where can I download the grass tool

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Hey, amazing thread, incredible work! is the grass tool you was wanting to put up on the marketplace still in the works? would happily pay for some amazing short lawn grass

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Looking really good!

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Really good. Hope to see more of your work.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    The face you make when you realize you'll never produce anything near to this because you suck at texture making and modelling.

Great work. I'd like to see some night scenes :P

Leave a comment:

• replied
    How long are your lightning render times? Especially for a shot like this? http://i.imgur.com/RfxL1B5.jpg

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by realkrull View Post
    I have been looking for other studies of landscape and so with ue4 and are very good, but I have to say again yours is really inspiring
    Maybe what I like the most is that you do not oversaturate colors in materials and lighting, I think that this with the incredible nature assets is the key to realism.
    How do you combine static mesh in the center with landscape? Is there a blend or is over the landscape as any other static mesh?
    Hey, man. Sorry for taking so long to answer this, I didn't see your message.

It depends on what static mesh you are talking about. The roads are placed over the landscape with Spline Tool. Some trees and the grass are automatically scattered over the terrain with grass tool and foliage tool. The buildings are just placed by hand and sometimes I use the sculpt tool to adjust the terrain around it.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I have been looking for other studies of landscape and so with ue4 and are very good, but I have to say again yours is really inspiring
    Maybe what I like the most is that you do not oversaturate colors in materials and lighting, I think that this with the incredible nature assets is the key to realism.
    How do you combine static mesh in the center with landscape? Is there a blend or is over the landscape as any other static mesh?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Wow, just wow. The folage is just breathtaking.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by realkrull View Post
    Wonderful environment!!

May I ask?, the terrain is divided in 2 areas as you say, but, It looks that they are 2 objects with a big map, isn´t it? Have you use landscape, etc? How has been the process to define the terrain? Have you mixed landscape with mapped objects?

Thank you, and keep working on it, as it is really inspiring!!
    The only portion of the terrain that is Static Mesh is a small region around the main buildings (because I need to be sure that I'm keeping the right topology there). All the rest is made with the Landscape Tool. There is actually 9 pieces of Terrain there (the one in the center being the most detailed one). I've used satellite textures (grabbed from Sketchup) as a guide to place the trees and roads with the Paint tool (that also generates the tall grass over the right areas).

Originally posted by mcgraw View Post
    Incredible. I absolutely love the "behind the scenes" aspect that helps make this a reality. Would love to read even more about your process. You should consider sharing that beautiful knowledge and writing up a tutorial (if you haven't already)!
    Those tutorials are on my plans. I'll be posting here as soon as they are finished

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Are there other useful asset sites similar to vizpark.com that you all like?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Incredible. I absolutely love the "behind the scenes" aspect that helps make this a reality. Would love to read even more about your process. You should consider sharing that beautiful knowledge and writing up a tutorial (if you haven't already)!

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Wonderful environment!!

May I ask?, the terrain is divided in 2 areas as you say, but, It looks that they are 2 objects with a big map, isn´t it? Have you use landscape, etc? How has been the process to define the terrain? Have you mixed landscape with mapped objects?

Thank you, and keep working on it, as it is really inspiring!!

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Precious study!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X