The Siege and The Sandfox - A Stealthvania set in an ancient desert kingdom

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi folks,

Sorry for the lack of updates over the last few weeks. I took a little break following Develop and Radius, as well as working on a few TOP SECRET things that will be shared when the time is right
    I’m currently split between two tasks - AI improvements that improve our stealth gameplay, and fleshing out the outer edges of the world map.

World Map

I’ve been working on making rooftop sections at the very top of the map. This is an area I’m sure will get lots of iteration, because we’d like a player who’s really mastered the moveset to be able to get across here in one fluid motion.

To start with, I’m just blocking out the space, seeing what feels right, and how to sensible manage the height change between the two neighbouring sections. Currently it feels pretty good to climb the towers internally, but not so good from the outside. I’ll be focusing on breaking the outline up a little and try to add some more interest as you travel between them.

While doing this, I’ve also started adding to my wishlist of future player controller improvements. Things like being able to interrupt some animations, and some ‘feel good’ things like caching of jump inputs, and allowing a little tolerance when making jumps off ledges.

Also started to prototype some of the movement features that’ll be unlocked during the course of the game, but I’ll save that for another update

AI

Meanwhile, over in AI town I’ve been trying to work out the best way to approach doors.

The current implementation uses nav link proxies, and actually works surprisingly well - Kudos to one of our coders, Rex, for digging into these because I couldn’t understand how to make them do anything useful!

However, I’m trying to take a pretty tough stance that as much decision making as possible for the AI should happen as behaviours within the behaviour tree. Currently, the use of nav link proxies breaks this rule pretty fundamentally. From the behaviour tree perspective the AI just uses ‘move to’ and either reaches it’s final destination, using doors along the way, or doesn’t make it.

I’m pushing for a solution that lets me setup lots of fall backs in the tree to allow for things like unlocking doors, breaking doors, and anything interesting we might come up with in the future. I have been heavily inspired by the examples given in this gamasutra article - http://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/Chris..._they_work.php

To that end, I’ve mocked up my own version using placeholder nodes in a behavior tree:

I have no idea how a ‘sweep for doors’ function would work, but isn’t that what coders are for?

Well, that’s all for now, I’ll provide another update when some of these things are implemented. Fingers crossed it works as well as it does in my head!

The Siege and The Sandfox | Development Thread | Twitter | Twitch | Facebook

Comment

In case you missed it, we have an exclusive interview with Jeremy Peel (posted on PCGamesN and the Unreal blog), covering various parts of our development process and planning. You can read it here: https://www.unrealengine.com/showcas...e-stealthvania
      BizDev (aka Business Lizard) | PR | Marketing

The Siege and the Sandfox | Twitter | Facebook | Reddit | IndieDB

Comment

Awesome work guys, this game looks beautiful. Congrats on the Unreal Dev Grant and good luck with everything
        http://www.playyore.com | Facebook | Twitter | Steam Store

Comment

We have some new screenshots up. You can click on them to view them on imgur, where you can zoom in for even finer detail.

Let us know what you think.
          Attached Files

Comment

Looks like fun.
            Can't wait to play it.
            Make a playable demo!!
            Check out my patreon, I'm really excited about it.
            https://www.patreon.com/kinos141

Comment

We're really excited to announce that we've partnered with Chucklefish to work on this title. You can read more here.

Comment

This is a frikin mazing work yall . Best looking Stealth Action Platformer I've seen in a long time. Cant wait to give a shot. The AI and Nav systems are brilliant. The control feels I have to waite and play to see. As long as those are close-ish to Ori and Meatboy, but of course different in a much more stealthy way, I smell a money train headed your way. ^_^
                Lenny Gordon
                lenny@hammer-on.com
                http://www.hammer-on.com

Comment

80.lv did an in-depth interview with our team about building a 2D game in Unreal Engine 4. You can read the article on their website, with accompanying pretty pictures.
                  Last edited by OllyBennett; 11-16-2016, 06:52 AM.

Comment

Hello, this is a awesome project.

I love that waterfall, could you share how you create it?

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Calibanul View Post
                      I love that waterfall, could you share how you create it?
                      Thanks Calibanul, much appreciated. The waterfall is a combination of a four frame flipbook and a multiple-emitter particle system. The waterfall flipbook frames are a more conventional art technique than anything technical, simply drawing coloured blobs flowing down the frame and refining them into dropping waterfall-esque shapes, in our case with a limited colour palette. This is the hardest part and where most of the 'art skill' comes in, making it tough to give a bite size breakdown in one sentence.

I then simply layered a few particle effects on top such as slow moving squares for the water breaking the crest of the fall, another for the water motes and ribbons crashing down the waterfall to aid sense of direction and speed, a distortion particle effect to give the water a sense of refraction and finally an emitter to represent the water crashing into the surface below. It's just squares in that example but I have since gone and refined it to use another flipbook to help represent the water being churned about a bit better. Hope this helps, I know its a bit "hand wavy and ta-da!" but if you need more detail let me know and I will try.

The Siege and The Sandfox | Development Thread | Twitter

Comment

Hello ^^
                        I'm a young game developer, working on my first biggish 2d game. I would love to see more tips and tuts from You since Your game looks really interesting(dope <3). Just quick question: do You have any information about paper2d plugin development? This question might seems to be out of place but since You are pushing ue4 2d boundaries, maybe You are chatting with guys from Epic Games aswell I just hope it's not dead, the plugin.

Comment

How were you able to create the game in an rpg style even though there isn't and rpg2d style option in the main screen?

Comment

Originally posted by Asterat View Post
                            I'm a young game developer, working on my first biggish 2d game. I would love to see more tips and tuts from You since Your game looks really interesting(dope <3). Just quick question: do You have any information about paper2d plugin development? This question might seems to be out of place but since You are pushing ue4 2d boundaries, maybe You are chatting with guys from Epic Games aswell I just hope it's not dead, the plugin.
                            Sorry Asterat, we don't have anymore concrete information on the direction or development timeframe of Paper2D than you, that's a question better aimed at the Epic team themselves. They have helped us out with a question here or there but we we jumped into Paper2D around a year ago (when it was still considered experimental!) and just figured we'd deal with problems as they came up and so far thats worked for us.

Originally posted by pilotflyer View Post
                            How were you able to create the game in an rpg style even though there isn't and rpg2d style option in the main screen?
                            Sorry Pilotflyer, can you rephrase your question at all, I'm not completely sure I understand what you are asking? Are you referring to the templates/starter content that comes with Unreal 4? If so, the short answer is we don't use any of that, we started with a blank project and built from the ground up, no starter content or templates here!

Comment

Sorry Pilotflyer, can you rephrase your question at all, I'm not completely sure I understand what you are asking? Are you referring to the templates/starter content that comes with Unreal 4? If so, the short answer is we don't use any of that, we started with a blank project and built from the ground up, no starter content or templates here![/QUOTE]

Yes. I meant how did you build the game from the ground up without the starter content and the default templates?

Comment

Originally posted by pilotflyer View Post
                                I meant how did you build the game from the ground up without the starter content and the default templates?
                                There's no easy, quick answer for this I'm afraid. It basically comes down having a team of the required disciplines with a fair amount of experience making games in those disciplines. I guess 'gain experience anyway you can' is the short answer here, as unhelpful as that kind of is. Sorry.
                                Last edited by Boxy; 03-10-2017, 02:22 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X