No announcement yet.

Arcus - Archery Tower Defense for Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We're back! And we have the start of the potion making system implemented!

It includes a total of 20 ingredients that you can mix to create 150 different types of potions, all with their own item description and (hopefully) icon. The item descriptions are written in universe by the protagonist, so not only do they help define the lore of the world, but also the lens that is the protagonist that views said world.

I am still writing the descriptions (a couple of sentences times 150 + 20 ingredients is a bit staggering), and they will be added in a future update.

Also, we have launched under Google Play's closed alpha testing services, which is what explains most of the silence the past few weeks as there isn't much there to warrant a post on this blog. Once the closed alpha gets to a standard we deem quality enough, we'll make the alpha open to the public and post the link here!

Until next time!
    Attached Files
    Last edited by StevenWaltherMedia; 11-23-2016, 09:12 PM.
    Check out our game Arcus!

Comment

My question is, when will it come to the App-Store?
      (Apple/iPhone)

Comment

Originally posted by Jackiefrost View Post
        My question is, when will it come to the App-Store?
        (Apple/iPhone)
        Long story short, porting to Apple products will have to wait until the project is completely finished, as it is required to build from a Mac computer, which I don't have. I have limited access to one but transferring all the project files over and making sure everything works properly takes time, so I only plan on doing it once when the project is finished.

Comment

Public alpha for android is released! Check out the first post for the link!

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	15800270_571504203050590_6758820325145869486_o.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	33.4 KB
ID:	1120902

Update .13 is released, along with a new level! I have been informed that there seems to be a bug so I'll be issuing a hotfix soon. (I guess 'soon' makes it a lukewarm fix but you get the picture)

Comment

It's good to see that the progression of the mechanics are starting to fall into place and it looks like your moving into the adding of lots of new assets to the game stage. I am also digging the new level design!

Comment

I really like this game. Well, i have not play it yet but the looks of it. And i really like the character, both style and whatnot, she seems to fit in. Also, "freelancer" is a pretty nice word for mercenary?

Comment

Originally posted by JollyHolly View Post
                  I really like this game. Well, i have not play it yet but the looks of it. And i really like the character, both style and whatnot, she seems to fit in. Also, "freelancer" is a pretty nice word for mercenary?
                  I'm glad you like the aesthetic! Some of the assets are bought, but I re-did the textures for them to fit.

Also, she is indeed a mercenary

Comment

Originally posted by StevenWaltherMedia View Post
                    I'm glad you like the aesthetic! Some of the assets are bought, but I re-did the textures for them to fit.

Also, she is indeed a mercenary
                    Hello! I tried to download this but i can't find it in the appstore. And when i follow the link from my desktop pc it seems like it is not availible in Sweden!

Comment

Originally posted by JollyHolly View Post
                      Hello! I tried to download this but i can't find it in the appstore. And when i follow the link from my desktop pc it seems like it is not availible in Sweden!
                      Yes, I need to add every country as they come up, unfortunately. I've added Sweden to the list, so it should work if you try again!

Comment

Here is an initial blockout for a new level, which has 5 towers, over 3 different areas. The big bridge in the center can be destroyed, which makes travel time longer. However, it can be repaired for a fee, so you have to balance cost vs speed.

Attached Files
                        Last edited by StevenWaltherMedia; 01-15-2017, 12:39 PM.

Comment

Hey everyone! New update here!

If towers are close enough, Elle will now run between them on foot. I spend the last week making new animations, as well as setting up and modifying existing blueprints to make this transition happen as quickly as possible!

It doesn't change anything from a fundamental gameplay standpoint, but it makes the world that much more believable, as jumping down to your horse to travel less than 100 yards can be a bit immersion breaking.

It also opens up a few new possibilities. For example, I would like to make a level does not have the horse at all, and you have to do the whole level on foot. While I was on this train of thought I also started thinking about non wave based levels, where you have to defeat all enemies in an area before the next towers is 'unlocked' or otherwise made visible. It would be a more linear design, and could allow for some more story focused gameplay (like the introduction level).

That being said, I feel like I am starting to get too ambitious again!

Comment

New screenshot of the next level that is being worked on:

This is in PC mode, with the fancy reflective surfaces and shiny lights.

This is what it looks like so far on mobile. I have to find a way to get those nice looking reflections back in.

Arcus will have three minigames, each focusing seperate aspects of the main game: Sword combat, archery, and movement. This ballroom minigame focuses on movement, and was initially going to be a stealth segment but it wasn't very exciting as the movement mechanics were created to service the archery gameplay and don't hold up on their own. Instead of scrapping the idea, I reworked the context to move the focus onto the narrative and off the gameplay.

The protagonist Elle has been invited to a ball that has is being thrown in her honor for successfully defending the city. Since Elle lives alone, she does not do well in crowds. I wanted to really convey the anxiety she feels when around large groups of people using camera tricks, animation, and audio.

That being said, the gameplay is still the same. The objective of the minigame is to simply navigate to the goal while avoiding groups of people. The goal is a peacefully quiet balcony, and the 'enemies' are simply patrons of the ball walking around and having a good time, instead of patrolling guards looking to capture you.

This minigame is really turning into something that might be engaging, but it is also starting to feel 'David Cage-y' (if that makes any sense at all), and might have a clash of priorities when slotted in between regular archery missions.

---

As you can see in the screenshots, a new outfit has been worked on, as well! The 'Noble Elle' outfit is what will be unlocked after completing this minigame, and has already been fully integrated into the wardrobe system:

I also made a timelapse of the creation process, so you can look at it and cringe at my terrible workflow!

Attached Files
                            Last edited by StevenWaltherMedia; 02-15-2017, 02:28 PM.

Comment

Looks awesome!
                              Tried to take part in the testing, but it isn't available in my country (Canada)
                              Am I doing something wrong or is Canada not on the list? lol

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Demrok View Post
                                Looks awesome!
                                Tried to take part in the testing, but it isn't available in my country (Canada)
                                Am I doing something wrong or is Canada not on the list? lol

Thanks
                                I'm trying to add as many countries as possible! I can't believe I missed Canada, oops!

I've added it to the list, should work now!

Comment

Working...
                                X