Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Arcus - Archery Tower Defense for Mobile

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    #16
    A small update, but level 2 has officially been started! We are still working on the overall layout, and a few bonus things unique to this level, but so far it's looking pretty good!

    Click image for larger version

Name:	arcuslvl2.png
Views:	1
Size:	635.2 KB
ID:	1109260

    Also, we finally got around to creating the 5 different arrow type assets, as well.

    Click image for larger version

Name:	arrowswip.png
Views:	1
Size:	59.5 KB
ID:	1111560
    Last edited by StevenWaltherMedia; 07-05-2016, 04:42 PM.
    Check out our game Arcus!

    Comment


      #17
      Because of all the alternate outfits I created for Elle, and how easy it was to change the outfit for the game blueprint (just set the skeletal mesh good to go!) I spend 2 days working on this 'wardrobe' system, where you can set your outfit, as well as your sword, and some light armor configurations. It's light on content, but I don't plan on making this a huge selling point / big feature and instead making it a cool little bonus.

      Enjoy a video of the system in action!

      Check out our game Arcus!

      Comment


        #18
        Gameplay looks funny!
        Waiting full release, and subsribed to Youtube channel

        Comment


          #19
          Nice art. Any tip to optimize for mobile? How much effort a day are you putting into it?

          Comment


            #20
            Beautiful looking game / art. This, coming from a shooter guy who tends to view mobile as 'great yawn, more low-poly'
            But I watched all the videos, and loved the clip actually showing gameplay running on a target device, very nice to see!
            Hope the levels are large enough and the gameplay varied to keep interest, but apart from that great job. Good luck!!!

            Comment


              #21
              Originally posted by Inspector View Post
              Nice art. Any tip to optimize for mobile? How much effort a day are you putting into it?
              Sure! Basically the big thing for mobile is that transparency is super expensive (of course this applies to more powerful devices, but it is doubly important here.) For example I had a bunch of trees in the first level shown, which were just a transparent picture of a tree mapped on a single polygon. The game ran at 20 fps! As soon as I deleted the trees, it spiked up and capped to 60! Notice how the main character's hair doesn't have transparent strand textures on it.

              Other than that, just having a sense of 'not going overboard' with graphical features and complicated materials (you can only have 8 textures per material on mobiel, if I remember correctly), and keep your polycount relativity low (I usually shoot for something between PS2 and PS3 in terms of polygon budget), you should be good to go

              And in terms of effort per day, I usually sink a few hours into it after work.

              Hope I could help!
              Check out our game Arcus!

              Comment


                #22
                Originally posted by StevenWaltherMedia View Post
                Sure! Basically the big thing for mobile is that transparency is super expensive (of course this applies to more powerful devices, but it is doubly important here.) For example I had a bunch of trees in the first level shown, which were just a transparent picture of a tree mapped on a single polygon. The game ran at 20 fps! As soon as I deleted the trees, it spiked up and capped to 60! Notice how the main character's hair doesn't have transparent strand textures on it.

                Other than that, just having a sense of 'not going overboard' with graphical features and complicated materials (you can only have 8 textures per material on mobiel, if I remember correctly), and keep your polycount relativity low (I usually shoot for something between PS2 and PS3 in terms of polygon budget), you should be good to go

                And in terms of effort per day, I usually sink a few hours into it after work.

                Hope I could help!
                Sure helps. Thanks for the tips!

                Comment


                  #23
                  How to you get that cell shading?

                  Comment


                    #24
                    Originally posted by iRYO400 View Post
                    How to you get that cell shading?
                    Hey there! We achieved cell shading through code supplied by Arnage, here:

                    https://forums.unrealengine.com/show...-shading-model

                    Hope that helps!
                    Check out our game Arcus!

                    Comment


                      #25
                      Wow, this is really taking shape! It's great to see the development you are making. Please keep the updates coming

                      Comment


                        #26
                        Originally posted by franktech View Post
                        Beautiful looking game / art. This, coming from a shooter guy who tends to view mobile as 'great yawn, more low-poly'
                        But I watched all the videos, and loved the clip actually showing gameplay running on a target device, very nice to see!
                        Hope the levels are large enough and the gameplay varied to keep interest, but apart from that great job. Good luck!!!
                        I'm glad you enjoy it! We plan on releasing it for free with some sort of in app purchase / ad solution, if you are interested!

                        Originally posted by iRYO400 View Post
                        Gameplay looks funny!
                        Waiting full release, and subsribed to Youtube channel
                        Thanks!
                        Check out our game Arcus!

                        Comment


                          #27
                          The first pass of the environment for Level 2 is finished!

                          Click image for larger version

Name:	deserrt1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	710.7 KB
ID:	1112482

                          Click image for larger version

Name:	arcus_d3.png
Views:	1
Size:	957.2 KB
ID:	1112480

                          As you can see, there are still a bunch of temporary meshes, and of course I still need to do the assets for the town, as well.

                          See you all next update!

                          Originally posted by Jess.Hider View Post
                          Wow, this is really taking shape! It's great to see the development you are making. Please keep the updates coming
                          Also, I completely missed this, thank you very much!
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by StevenWaltherMedia; 07-24-2016, 10:19 AM.
                          Check out our game Arcus!

                          Comment


                            #28
                            Great game, with multiplayer would be awesome!

                            Your target phone is still a Samsung Note 4? How many FPS are you getting without transparencies, still 30?

                            Edit: You said that transparency is very costly, I just found a video about Dithered Opacity that may be helpful https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ieHpTG_P8Q0
                            Last edited by masterneme; 08-08-2016, 09:20 AM.
                            ProBoon, Old-School FPS, Open Source & Tutorials
                            Support Project Boon on Patreon

                            On Steam Soon, Click Below

                            Comment


                              #29
                              Originally posted by masterneme View Post
                              Great game, with multiplayer would be awesome!

                              Your target phone is still a Samsung Note 4? How many FPS are you getting without transparencies, still 30?

                              Edit: You said that transparency is very costly, I just found a video about Dithered Opacity that may be helpful https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ieHpTG_P8Q0
                              Thank you! Unfortunately the game will not support multiplayer, and since we didn't set it up with multiplayer in mind converting it would be a pretty big pain.

                              We actually got the 60 FPS cap on the Note 4 but once the device starts to heat up it starts to drop pretty severely, sometimes down to the 40's. I did a test on an s7 and it was locked to 60 FPS 100% of the time, which is pretty promising.

                              In terms of the video you posted. That is a solution for increasing performance via using masked for alpha gradients instead of translucent. I can't really apply it here because all my effects are already masked, and I don't have the need to use gradients on a tree card.

                              But I really appreciate the help!
                              Last edited by StevenWaltherMedia; 09-19-2016, 03:01 PM.
                              Check out our game Arcus!

                              Comment


                                #30
                                I really like the simple art style here. Looks nice and fun!
                                lucasgovatos.net | Twitter | Epitasis - A Colorful Exploration Puzzle Game

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X