No announcement yet.

I've created an Infinite Voxel World, similar to Minecraft

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is fantastic! Many thanks for sharing! Looking forward to see it in the marketplace.
    Last edited by StrijnKames; 03-12-2016, 05:22 PM.

Comment

If it helps....I'd buy this from the marketplace just to look at the implementation in Blueprint. Very Impressive sir.

Comment

As someone who loves these types of games and have been playing around with procedural generation in ue4 I would be interested in seeing how you set up your blueprints. As it is, I don't think minecraft even works that smoothly using any custom textures when going between chunks.

There chunk base is 32? block grid. If memory serves me right I think its 16x16 x 128? in the overworld (total height i think is 255) but thats still something like 32,000 and some odd blocks per chunk by defualt.

so ++ for market or community learning resource.

Comment

Hey I'm really interested in how you do the math thing to make only the visible blocks render to increase performance cuz that would help me alot with performance in my games especially on mobile.
          P.S Great job!

Comment

Originally posted by John Alcatraz View Post

I don't really spawn many ISMCs, you should not have too many of them. Also don't have problems with the collision, at the moment all blocks constantly have collision enabled but that costs like 0 performance I think. You probably did some crazy stuff if you had problems with collision performance

Thanks for the reply - really interesting that you aren't finding any collision issues.....I have far less stuff spawning in than you have pictured and the colliders completely destroy performance for me. I wonder what the difference could be.
            Trevor Lee

Comment

This is amazing! I would buy it just to mess around with it for sure!
              - Russell Meakim AKA The Castle
              BLOG: https://steemit.com/@thecastle

Comment

Originally posted by 'Reon' View Post
                Hey I'm really interested in how you do the math thing to make only the visible blocks render to increase performance cuz that would help me alot with performance in my games especially on mobile.
                P.S Great job!
                Hate to say it, but you probably won't be achieving good mobile performance with instances till at least 4.11 comes out. I am dropped to 30 fps with like 100 instances in view :/
                Marketplace Assets

Advanced Mobile Input: Marketplace Page | Support Thread ――― Easy Input Remapping: Marketplace Page | Support Thread
                Multiplayer Blueprint Chat System: Marketplace Page | Support Thread ――― Closing Credits System: Marketplace Page | Support Thread
                Minesweeper Template: Marketplace Page | Support Thread ――― Maze Creator: Marketplace Page | Support Thread

Comment

Can you make an estimate of how long it took to make all this?

By the way, why did you use Blueprint and not C++? I know programming, and frankly those fat Blueprint nodes kinda put me off, yet I still find myself using more Blueprint than actual code.

I think it's because Blueprint is programming, too. But in a such a different why that just makes me curious.

Originally posted by TK-Master View Post
                  This could actually bring a ton of minecraft modders into UE4.. not only that but blueprints would make modding 10 times easier and faster.
                  However Mojang could cause problems for you if they want to be aware of that, you might wanna change the textures and visual style a bit so it's not a 1 to 1 copy.
                  It's not against the law to make a clone, though. There are even tons of them out there already, commercial ones and free ones. And Mojang does't even understand the law. That's how Bethesda could troll Mojang regarding the use of the English world "Scrolls". So for as long as he doesn't use any actual content from the game itself, there shouldn't be any problems here.

Comment

Originally posted by SouldomainTM View Post
                    It's not against the law to make a clone, though. There are even tons of them out there already, commercial ones and free ones. And Mojang does't even understand the law. That's how Bethesda could troll Mojang regarding the use of the English world "Scrolls". So for as long as he doesn't use any actual content from the game itself, there shouldn't be any problems here.
                    It's not about whether this is against the law or not though, if you provoke them by making a 1-1 copy then they could cause legal trouble anyway (they have the money to do what they want ).
                    Anyway I'm just saying! I'm not a lawyer or anything.

4.10 Update! -> [Community Project] WIP Weather & Ocean Water Shader
                    WIP Interactive Water Shader, WIP 2D Water Sim
                    WIP FFT Ocean w/ Foam, Quad-tree Infinite Ocean LOD

Comment

Originally posted by TK-Master View Post
                      they have the money to do what they want ).
                      Yes, at times not even the law knows the law, this is what Big Cat Capitalism can exploit. And this is how Bethesda could pretend that they own the English term "Scrolls". Not to mention the fact that Mojang's Scrolls has close to nothing in common with The Elder Scrolls whatsoever.

If Donald Duck Trump won the precedentcy, then you would see more of this nonsense right after the building of the Great Wall of America (Fincaned with Mexico's own money. Genious.).

Comment

Awesome work! I do hope you release this as a learning resource, I think there is tons the community can learn from your hard work. To get such a massive open world game to run smoothly using nothing but blueprints is just phenomenal. Again thanks and hope to here a release date soon
                        RTS Tutorial Series: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...ndrLDG__OAZs7Q

Comment

Wow! I'm speechless. Is there maybe a tutorial on how you get only the visible blocks to render and keep the other blocks hidden to increase performance? Cuz this would help me lots in my projects especially

Comment

Originally posted by 'Reon' View Post
                            Wow! I'm speechless. Is there maybe a tutorial on how you get only the visible blocks to render and keep the other blocks hidden to increase performance? Cuz this would help me lots in my projects especially
                            Basically you loop over all the voxels and render the sides which have a transparent neighbouring voxel. Doing that sounds really bad but its actually the least expensive part of the meshing.

Comment

While this IS a close copy of the game its also not being sold as a game but rather an educational example. It's to teach people. I think that we are going to see this exact phenomenon happen with more games as well and it really does need to happen. It will cause a wave in the industry and ultimately force AAA devs to have to innovate on game play or be copied with educational projects.

RIP my job in the coming years...

Anyway, is it possible for me to buy or download this project? I am really interested in just seeing it in action.
                              - Russell Meakim AKA The Castle
                              BLOG: https://steemit.com/@thecastle

Comment

Hey there this was such a treat to see on my Epic Launcher today! I'm finally getting back in to programming after a few years. My last project was a 2d based tile shooter in XNA ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PxJW...5FoPNOQwSroC8w ). I tried to make a 3d version of that but the XNA framework was too complex for 3d for a noob like me. Finally Unreal is giving me the tools to help me with this! Anyway... as for how you could release this, my request would be to help people design a simple voxel engine and world grid/map. Hahah selfishly I ask this of course as I am attempting to do this myself at the moment and am having some trouble. That being said, I'm just getting started, again.

So yeah, a simple world voxel demo, or step by step tutorial beginning with the simple block class creation, grid array. and the terrain generation. Something like that I think many people will benefit from. There seems to be a lot of interest these days.

Thank you again and keep up the great work

Comment

Working...
                                X