No announcement yet.

I've created an Infinite Voxel World, similar to Minecraft

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So is there any chance people can get access to the project files or something, to add more stuff into it? Just curious

Comment

Congratulations. This is very impressive. I LOVED the AO.

Also, If you want a Help, I can make the textures for you.

Check my portfolio at art station:

https://corujagames.artstation.com/
      Last edited by Raziєl; 03-06-2016, 11:23 PM.
      YouTube:Coruja Games
      Twitter:@_corujagames
      Facebook:@corujagames
      Instagram:@_corujagames

Comment

Originally posted by intoxicat3 View Post
        Weird, so blocks are static meshes components? As you can't create custom components in Blueprints which voxels should be if you want to have nice performance.
        Blocks are instances in an ISMC, you can't do this with static meshes. You also don't need custom components for this, the GPU performance of this basically could not be better I think.

Originally posted by DavAguirre View Post
        So is there any chance people can get access to the project files or something, to add more stuff into it? Just curious
        I don't know yet.

Originally posted by reneberwanger View Post
        Congratulations. This is very impressive. I LOVED the AO.

Also, If you want a Help, I can make the textures for you.

Do you not like the textures I currently use?
        Easy to use UMG Mini Map on the UE4 Marketplace.
        Forum thread: https://forums.unrealengine.com/show...-Plug-and-Play

Comment

Originally posted by John Alcatraz View Post
          Do you not like the textures I currently use?
          Sure... but you said at first post:

The Minecraft look then later came when I searched for textures, and actually the whole internet is filled with public domain texture packs for Minecraft. So it was the best way for me to get textures for a voxel based project, since I am no artist. And let's be honest, it does not look bad like this, having the graphical power of UE4 combined with the pixel look of textures which were intented to be used in Minecraft.
          I like the pixel style of minecraft. But if you wanna go to a whole new level, what you think about real realistic textures?

Comment

I don't know yet.
            That's ok haha, just think about it, I bet a lot of people would love to mod this, myself included.

Comment

First off, great work John, very impressive work there! Is there any chance you will share how you determine which are visible blocks? Do you do some kind of neighbour visible parse? I guess there are lots of ways to do this, but only a few that would perform well.

In anyway, big thumbs up and keep up the good work man!
              Last edited by Jonas_Molgaard; 03-07-2016, 05:55 AM.

Comment

Very cool.

Comment

Super cool!

How are you spawning in the ISMC's in your chunks quickly enough to keep it from hitching? I have a similar system and that's been one of the issues I've faced.

Also, how are you handling collision? I've found that colliders are what kill performance, not the visual portion. Are you doing anything special to turn colliders on/off?
                  Last edited by Hyperloop; 03-07-2016, 06:03 PM.
                  Trevor Lee

Comment

how far do you plan on going for the project? It looks great.

Comment

I would love to get a look at the blueprints. So yes - please get it into the marketplace.

Comment

Just for the record, already exist an implementation of a voxel based game,it's called Brick Game, and is open source link
                        Jimmy Toledo Araya

Senior Developer.
                        Lifeware SpA.

LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/jtoledoa

Comment

Originally posted by iUltimateLP View Post
                          Heh, I'm currently doing a cross-over between Minecraft + Starbound (you know, this planet system thingy) + Factorio
                          Nice! You'll have to show the community some screenshots!

Comment

Originally posted by reneberwanger View Post
                            I like the pixel style of minecraft. But if you wanna go to a whole new level, what you think about real realistic textures?
                            Soon in Steam with minecraft building style, but with realistic custom-users materials
                            Celestial Creator - 3D luxurious builder and shooter game in Steam for Win32&64
                            Construct and build very quickly and intuitively with highest appearance brilliant, elegant, impressive, fabulous, outstanding, magnificent, gorgeous, tremendous, majestic, imperial and superior objects, shapes, buildings, crafting, levels, worlds. Then protect them

Comment

Originally posted by Angel Tsvetkov View Post
                              Soon in Steam with minecraft building style, but with realistic custom-users materials

I did not understand.

Comment

Originally posted by Leviathan's_Deep View Post
                                Nice! You'll have to show the community some screenshots!
                                Haha, it's really WIP, but I post some screenshots on my Twitter, and I'll soon make a WIP thread about that. It also has modding support with custom textures / materials, Lua scripting and much more..
                                Hobby game developer from Germany Follow me on Twitter!
                                Stuff I made:
                                Steam Workshop Tutorial/Wiki
                                Making a full working translation for your game and change it at runtime

Comment

Working...
                                X