Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    Originally posted by daafu View Post
    At this point I don't think it's fair to make performance comparisons as the hard problems don't appear to be solved yet. But it is looking very impressive, and I have no doubts it can look better than Minecraft in the end, but I'm not at all sold on doing all the hard problems in Blueprints, you'd likely have to migrate to C++.
    Yeah. I did it in blueprint for that video just to test and show how powerful blueprint is, but a lot changed since I recorded that video and since I want to get every bit of performance for VR, it's all C++ now

Originally posted by TechLord View Post
    This looks pretty amazing John A. Although I'm not interested in duplicating Minecraft's texture style, I am interested in the Voxel Technique you're using. I speculate you're using 1 Group of Instanced Static Mesh Quads per Material to build the visible faces of the 'Cube' exterior, removing non-visible interior quads with some fancy algo. Hot or Cold on my guess here?
    In the video, I always used whole cubes. In the current version I no longer use ISMCs and handle the polygons/vertices manually.

Originally posted by SouldomainTM View Post
    Yeah, because of the dynamic nature of voxels, one couldn't use pre-computed data for GI. Well, until now. Nvidia's VXGI (Voxel Based Global Illumination) is full realtime GI. You probably heard of that already. It does come with its own voxel based ambient collusion as well.

If you have a subscription on GitHub, you could easily grab the Nvidia Gameworks version of UE4, and use VXGI in no time. Yes, this tech kills FPS. But I wonder what a "Minecraft" with GI would look like.
    I also thought about trying that, but with a 90 fps target on a GTX 970 I guess I don't need to spend time on getting VGXI to run

Originally posted by richardboegli View Post
    So I think it should go on the Marketplace and there seems to be a few people who agree
    While you are working on VR project at the moment, I believe the initial sales would easily pay for your new HTC Vive
    It's not that much about the money, it's mostly about getting one soon, and if you preorder one now you have to wait many months. But I can't release the game before I got a Vive And it's also quite hard to work on a VR game without being able to play it in VR.

Originally posted by Retrotation View Post
    Bump for marketplace. I'd like to make a few million bucks off this 6 months sooner than later.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Absolutely amazing!! I'm currently working a on a Climate Change short for 10-13 year olds, with UE4 and lowpoly assets. As a SOLO direc/anim/prod myself I think you just broke the uncanny valley of BP + Procedural = super-smoothness. This is also due me researching procedural during this week, ending up with houdini plugin for my Cinema 4d designs. I'm still a novice when it comes to UE4, but since I got my 1st character for the Climate Change short to run around in UE4 and seeing your project I am definitely in it to win it. If you don't mind I might sent some questions via mail later on, for some input.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Bump for marketplace.
    Last edited by Retrotation; 03-30-2016, 01:22 AM.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Its not already on the market place? Come on man, this is gold!

Leave a comment:

• replied
    So I guess there is a resounding yes for marketplace

Originally posted by ezjones View Post
    put it on the marketplace
    Originally posted by John Alcatraz View Post
    Originally posted by DavAguirre View Post
    So is there any chance people can get access to the project files or something, to add more stuff into it? Just curious
    I don't know yet.
    Originally posted by DavAguirre View Post
    That's ok haha, just think about it, I bet a lot of people would love to mod this, myself included.
    Originally posted by imperiaplanet View Post
    how far do you plan on going for the project? It looks great.
    Originally posted by tpstigers View Post
    I would love to get a look at the blueprints. So yes - please get it into the marketplace.
    Originally posted by bfoster68 View Post
    If it helps....I'd buy this from the marketplace just to look at the implementation in Blueprint. Very Impressive sir.
    Originally posted by Velase85 View Post
    ... I would be interested in seeing how you set up your blueprints.
    so ++ for market or community learning resource.
    Originally posted by Castle View Post
    This is amazing! I would buy it just to mess around with it for sure!
    Originally posted by jtsmith View Post
    Awesome work! I do hope you release this as a learning resource, I think there is tons the community can learn from your hard work. To get such a massive open world game to run smoothly using nothing but blueprints is just phenomenal. Again thanks and hope to here a release date soon
    Originally posted by Castle View Post
    While this IS a close copy of the game its also not being sold as a game but rather an educational example. It's to teach people. I think that we are going to see this exact phenomenon happen with more games as well and it really does need to happen. It will cause a wave in the industry and ultimately force AAA devs to have to innovate on game play or be copied with educational projects.
    Anyway, is it possible for me to buy or download this project? I am really interested in just seeing it in action.
    Originally posted by iamcosmiK View Post
    Anyway... as for how you could release this, my request would be to help people design a simple voxel engine and world grid/map. Hahah selfishly I ask this of course as I am attempting to do this myself at the moment and am having some trouble. That being said, I'm just getting started, again.

So yeah, a simple world voxel demo, or step by step tutorial beginning with the simple block class creation, grid array. and the terrain generation. Something like that I think many people will benefit from. There seems to be a lot of interest these days.
    Originally posted by TheModdersDen View Post
    Cool! Could we possibly get access to the source via github potentially? Either way, love the work!
    Originally posted by Psilox View Post
    This is amazing. If you don't have time to write a tutorial or technical writeup, please at least make it available in some form or another (marketplace?). I know there are a lot of us who are curious how to do level streaming like that, and aren't sure how to get started. Brilliant work, and please show us more!
    Originally posted by Psilox View Post
    Thanks for showing this off, and hopefully it can be a learning resource at some point!
    Originally posted by hahasamian View Post
    Please, put this in as a learning resource.
    Though I would prefer to have it free, I will buy this for a price of $10 or $20. Because it looks that good.
    Originally posted by tiosneystudio2 View Post
    WOAH!
    cough* give me the source code *cough
    Originally posted by Magic_RB View Post
    Can we get a project download because i would like to look at it and learn from. By the way people were telling that it is impossible to voxels using blueprint only but i see that infact it is . You are awesome.
    So [MENTION=24522]John Alcatraz[/MENTION]; I think it should go on the Marketplace and there seems to be a few people who agree

Awesome! My goal with this is actually to make it an awesome VR game. Just having some problems with getting a devkit.
    While you are working on VR project at the moment, I believe the initial sales would easily pay for your new HTC Vive
    [MENTION=1222]Allar[/MENTION] Generic Shooter is at 1000+ sales now....

I know how you could get one, apply for Unreal Dev Grant See my idea below:

If anyone knows how to talk to valve to get a vive pre, I would love to hear about it I sent them a mail two weeks ago, but I don't even know if they read it.
    [MENTION=8]Alexander Paschall[/MENTION]; on Twitter Retweeted [MENTION=14973]Chance Ivey[/MENTION]; tweet: https://twitter.com/UnrealAlexander/...61055158013952
    Also, we've partnered with Valve to offer 500 Vives via Unreal Dev Grants. Developing for VR? Apply here! https://www.unrealengine.com/unrealdevgrants

So how about applying for the grant and say you want to make a voxel based open source VR solution in Blueprint which will be released in the Epic marketplace for download like Generic Shooter, but it will also become its own game (like Generic Shooter on Steam) or just a learning resource game etc... I bet you'd win

Its still open source even if you have to pay for access to the source. Just like UE4 till GDC15.

If you do win, then I want something for the idea :P hehe

Leave a comment:

• replied
    In the video, it was all dynamic lighting without any GI.
    Yeah, because of the dynamic nature of voxels, one couldn't use pre-computed data for GI. Well, until now. Nvidia's VXGI (Voxel Based Global Illumination) is full realtime GI. You probably heard of that already. It does come with its own voxel based ambient collusion as well.

If you have a subscription on GitHub, you could easily grab the Nvidia Gameworks version of UE4, and use VXGI in no time. Yes, this tech kills FPS. But I wonder what a "Minecraft" with GI would look like.

Mind, though. I haven't tried it with instanced static meshes, but I read once that VXGI does have problems with that.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    This looks pretty amazing John A. Although I'm not interested in duplicating Minecraft's texture style, I am interested in the Voxel Technique you're using. I speculate you're using 1 Group of Instanced Static Mesh Quads per Material to build the visible faces of the 'Cube' exterior, removing non-visible interior quads with some fancy algo. Hot or Cold on my guess here?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    If someone can somehow bridge Minecraft's multiplayer API into a more mature version of this, all shader mods will have problems. Also the guy to port the multiplayer will have problems with Microsoft...

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Beautiful work shame you cant profit from it due to copyrights on the textures

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Uhh... he said this isn't based on Minecraft. It only uses its textures because they were easy to get.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    why do this?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I would love to see water with physics in this! D do what Mojang only dreamed of!

Leave a comment:

• replied
    One of the more expensive operations in a Minecraft-like engine is lighting propagation calculation when you're not in direct sunlight. None of the screenshots show underground environments with torches/other light sources. Is this handled? I would imagine Blueprint would have trouble doing the required calculations every time a block is created/destroyed. Moreover the existing lighting in the screenshots with the nice shadows and sun-rays might even get in the way of underground lighting, I suspect. I'd love to know about your plan for underground lighting, if you've given it any thought yet.

Lighting also greatly affects mesh chunk creation because once you start propagating lighting information you have to regenerate neighbouring chunks every time a voxel is added/removed to make sure the lighting is updated, this is a very large performance cost (comparatively)

The other performance cost in Minecraft-like engines is that once you start adding caves you all of the sudden have a lot more exposed voxels faces to render, and performance suffers. Minecraft uses a "cave culling" system for that, you can read more about it here:
    https://tomcc.github.io/2014/08/31/visibility-1.html

I also noticed some of your trees are cut off, they're probably on the edge of chunks and the tree generation doesn't flow smoothly into neighbouring chunks, this is yet another tricky problem to solve, the the bigger the structures (eg. villages) the harder the problem, at least computationally.

At this point I don't think it's fair to make performance comparisons as the hard problems don't appear to be solved yet. But it is looking very impressive, and I have no doubts it can look better than Minecraft in the end, but I'm not at all sold on doing all the hard problems in Blueprints, you'd likely have to migrate to C++.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Can we get a project download because i would like to look at it and learn from. By the way people were telling that it is impossible to voxels using blueprint only but i see that infact it is . You are awesome.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Thanks everyone!

Originally posted by Amiot View Post
    very nice and impressive work
    just one question is the lighting dynamic? and are you using LPV ?
    In the video, it was all dynamic lighting without any GI.

Originally posted by Velase85 View Post
    As someone who loves these types of games and have been playing around with procedural generation in ue4 I would be interested in seeing how you set up your blueprints. As it is, I don't think minecraft even works that smoothly using any custom textures when going between chunks.

There chunk base is 32? block grid. If memory serves me right I think its 16x16 x 128? in the overworld (total height i think is 255) but thats still something like 32,000 and some odd blocks per chunk by defualt.
    In the video, I used a chunk size of 20x20x70 if I remember correctly.

Originally posted by SouldomainTM View Post
    By the way, why did you use Blueprint and not C++? I know programming, and frankly those fat Blueprint nodes kinda put me off, yet I still find myself using more Blueprint than actual code.
    I think it's because Blueprint is programming, too. But in a such a different why that just makes me curious..
    It was a nice challenge

Originally posted by Ivain View Post
    Looks like you recreated minecraft in UE. Tell me, what's the performance compared to actual minecraft? because if it doesn't make a major difference, that'd be really great.
    In that video, the performance is roughly similar or slightly worse than minecraft on a good GPU. In the current state of the project, the performance is, well, let's say at least 10 times better

Originally posted by IWalkerYT View Post
    How I can download this ?
    For the packaged game there is a free download link in the video description.

Originally posted by neighborlee View Post
    I ran your example but not only was the menu rather laggy, but moving mouse around had severe lag to point of needing to exit. I was surprised given statements about it running well regardless of size of world, etc.

What should this take to run smoothly ?
    Maybe you had other stuff run in the background? How's your GPU doing in other UE4 games?

Originally posted by Muffinman View Post
    It runs wonderfully on the Oculus. Amazing work Fella!
    Awesome! My goal with this is actually to make it an awesome VR game. Just having some problems with getting a devkit.

If anyone knows how to talk to valve to get a vive pre, I would love to hear about it I sent them a mail two weeks ago, but I don't even know if they read it.
    Last edited by John Alcatraz; 03-22-2016, 02:32 PM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X